Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
I got the State Dept. FCU Visa Chip + Pin card (and in fact received a PIN# in the mail for it and a book explaning how chip+pin works) to use in my recent ED trip. I was all eager and ready to test the Chip+Pin function however, every time that I used the card where the chip was read (not swiped) it automatically printed the receipt for me to sign.

I'm not sure if the operator has the ability to select pin or paper, because at a gas station the person paying with CC before me had to enter pin, when I paid it print out a receipt... When I used it at a peage booth it didn't ask for PIN (or Sig, for that matter).

Unfortunately wasn't able to try it out in an automated station.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
The chip and sign works OK. I haven't tried the chip and PIN yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Are you sure it's both? It was my understanding that, in terms of standards, it could be one or the other.
I am 99% sure the US Bank card is only chip & signature, see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
I got the State Dept. FCU Visa Chip + Pin card (and in fact received a PIN# in the mail for it and a book explaning how chip+pin works) to use in my recent ED trip. I was all eager and ready to test the Chip+Pin function however, every time that I used the card where the chip was read (not swiped) it automatically printed the receipt for me to sign.

I'm not sure if the operator has the ability to select pin or paper, because at a gas station the person paying with CC before me had to enter pin, when I paid it print out a receipt... When I used it at a peage booth it didn't ask for PIN (or Sig, for that matter).

Same thing happened with my Andrews FCU card, any transaction that was handled by a person would go chip & signature. The only transaction that required chip & PIN was at an un-manned gas station. I tried using my US Bank Global card at the same gas station and it failed, only the true chip & PIN card would work.

It's all very confusing, but the bottom line is that a chip & signature card is well worth getting, and there are now plenty of them from US banks.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
So far this week I have used my Chase British Airways Chip and Sign card in about ten different London locations form Marks and Spensers to my local pub. In every case, I got receipt to sign with no problems. No need to use any " Non Human" locations so far.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper

Last edited by X3 Skier; 10-16-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 328 328 308
Amex is replacing existing Platinum cards with chip and pin versions.
They are doing this on a rolling basis. New cards will be sent automatically before renewal time.
I do not know if they can or will honor requests for expedited changes.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to aherman535
Mein Auto: 2010 535xit
Amex new card is chip and signature. Just got mine last week. Wish it were chip and signature.

A

Prior ED 2010 535xit Nepune Blue, everything but night vision -gone but not forgotten (miss the wagon)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post

I read on another forum that when a chip+pin card is used in a terminal that will also process chip+signature, it automatically defaults to chip+signature, and there is no way to override that. The poster reported he once encountered a merchant who refused to process a transaction requiring a signature, but I doubt that would happen very often.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
PenFed customers can now request chip & PIN cards for their Visa accounts. Their online system prompts for a 4-digit PIN and a new account number will be issued.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 320i Xdrive
Is Amex widely accepted in throughout Europe?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaktv View Post
Is Amex widely accepted in throughout Europe?
Widely but not universally.
It's best to have a Visa card as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 320i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Widely but not universally.
It's best to have a Visa card as well.
Thanks. I have a choice of applying for an Amex or Visa card with chip+pin. I'll go for Visa....
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaktv View Post
Thanks. I have a choice of applying for an Amex or Visa card with chip+pin. I'll go for Visa....
I would. Not all Amex cards are C&P yet.