Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
Where's the Storage?

Six months into owning my 128i convertible and I absolutely love driving this thing. A beautifully handling machine with just the right amount of power for my driving style. Since it's just the wife and myself riding around in it, we find it roomy and comfortable. But who the hell designed the glovebox and storage in this car? I have a bigger storage capacity in my MINI. With the owner's manual in the glovebox I can barely fit anything else inside. Please tell me that like the MINI there's a secret compartment? There's nowhere to hide my GPS, cellphone and/or wallet. After watching videos depicting BMW's constant attention to detail, I would've thought they'd come up with something a little more clever for storing drivers' essentials.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (on order)
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
No magic hiding spots as far as I can tell on my 128 coupe. Arm rest has a small storage spot and you can flip up the whole thing and there is a pouch for an ipod. Door pockets are pretty big...

Behind the seats are some mesh pockets for maps, paper....

As you said, its for driving...not storing so they kept clutter spots to a minimum.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 10'135i, 07'MCoupe, 09'X6
If you need storage then get a 3 series or the front wheel drive version otherwise known as Mini.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Actually I ordered the 128i for the wife as an upgrade from our MINI S convertible. She gave me the 128i claiming it's too big and ordered herself a new MINI.
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
You gave it to her without her test driving it first? Or was it your secret plan to get it for yourself? :-)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
Pick up the trunk floor, there's tons of room there.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post
You gave it to her without her test driving it first? Or was it your secret plan to get it for yourself? :-)
Shhhh! Don't tell her.

Neither one of us test drove a 128i before we ordered it for European Delivery. I knew it would be an incredible machine and she heeded my advice.....for a change. But in the 4months between ordering, flying over to Europe to drive it, getting it shipped home and then actually taking possession here in the US, my wife's school district started massive layoffs and pay cuts. She didn't think it would be too cool to come tooling into the teacher's lot with a fancy new Bimmer. I convinced her that was a good idea and assumed ownership.
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
It seems BMW doesn't really factor in storage compartments/cubbies in any design too much, it isn't just the 1er that feels lacking.

Doesn't matter how large of a BMW you get, still have the same issue. Half my center console is taken up by the phone adapter (not removable), and the console is very shallow to begin with. I can barely shove a paperback book in there. Glove box is small, no storage in armrests like S Class. Little compartments in doors is tight and shallow as well.

Its not a deal breaker, but its surprising how little storage, even the (physically) largest of Bimmers doesn't have.

The price we pay for beautiful cars?

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 10-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
My owners manual is beside the battery in the trunk. That leaves me with some usable room in the glove box. I agree there isn't much storage space but I've found "homes" for everything I want to carry. Maps, sunglasses, and a notebook for gas purchases/maintenance are in the drivers side drawer. A pack of gum and maybe a CD or two are in the console arm rest. Some little "junk" is in the ash tray. Glove box holds warranty card and registration a screwdriver, and assorted "junk". My GPS is on a BMW mount and rarely comes off but will fit in the glovebox. A fairly full set of sockets/ratchets/wrenches/pliers/screwdriver is in a tool roll up under the trunk floor. An air compressor in its bag is on the passengers side of the trunk. Everything has a place and I still have usable trunk space for a couple bags.

Jim