Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
What the box thing that's apparently missing?
I bought mine brand new and it didn't come with anything in those spots. One of them is for a european hitch ball. I keep my owners manual in one and a set of jumper cables in the other.

Last edited by usaret; 10-16-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
Mine doesn't have anything in those spots. One of them is for a european hitch ball. I keep my owners manual in one and a set of jumper cables in the other.
I test drove one the other day that had a grey plastic box in the rectangular open spot. The box itself was empty so I don't know what the hell it is used for.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I test drove one the other day that had a grey plastic box in the rectangular open spot. The box itself was empty so I don't know what the hell it is used for.
Looked like this one? This is the only picture I've ever seen of one and I cannot find a part number.

Last edited by usaret; 10-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Looked like this one?
No, the one I saw was completely enclosed. It had a pull out drawer.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
No, the one I saw was completely enclosed. It had a pull out drawer.
That is something new to me.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
In my 2008 x3, that space is where the ski bag is stored...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
I bought mine brand new and it didn't come with anything in those spots. One of them is for a european hitch ball. I keep my owners manual in one and a set of jumper cables in the other.
+1. USA and I have identical cars bought new.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
No, there is an additional "hidden" compartment to the left, by the "netted corner". It has a little leather loop to pull the cover but sometimes it gets under it and you don't know it's there.
Did you get an X3?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
No, there is an additional "hidden" compartment to the left, by the "netted corner". It has a little leather loop to pull the cover but sometimes it gets under it and you don't know it's there.
Did you get an X3?
I found one about four hours away: 2005, 94k miles, loaded with everything except headlight cleaners and nav. system - $13,450 (tax, registration, everything). Best deal I've worked out so far.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
in that open space next to the left of the battery, mine has the tie down rail hook things for the tie down tracks on the floor...if that makes any sense lol
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Here is a picture of mine disassembled to install a hatch light override switch.

One thing I did discover is where the wheel lock is stored. It's the little spot beside the wheel chock. The red arrow is pointing to it.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch Light Switch.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	346116  
Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i
I purchased my '04 X3 3.0i with 145K and it's been very reliable. Even going back through the early records and Carfax my vehicle has seen only normal wear issues. I too wanted an '06 but I feel I got the best of both worlds as my '04 is an '04 by a month so it has some of the features of an '05 (flashlight in the glove box and the upgraded moon-roof that won't stick). I don't know about the stiffness of the ride as mine included the sport package with the 18"s, it is pretty stiff but not uncomfortably so, although that's all relative. Mine also has the cold-weather package and yes, the empty rectangular area partially underneath the handle is where the ski bag would be located. There's a bit behind the rear center console that snaps out and the ski-bag snaps in it's place, that part that is removed can be placed back in that area you've got pictured. Enjoy your new X3 I'm sure you'll love it!

Last edited by LumpyJ; 10-21-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M Sport
I am interested in buying a X3 and have just started researching the vehicle.
I am / was interested n the 07, until I started reading this post. One of the reasons for the 07 interest, is due to the better gas mileage.
Is the Auto transmission still a issue? Have they come up with a fix for the software problems with this transmission?
I currently have a 01 330i, best car I ever owned. I do most of my own maintenance, mostly due to the great and useful information I find here. So whatever the X3 may need for upkeep does not concern me. Transmission problems is another thing.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaavola View Post
I am / was interested n the 07, until I started reading this post. One of the reasons for the 07 interest, is due to the better gas mileage.
Is the Auto transmission still a issue? Have they come up with a fix for the software problems with this transmission?
I currently have a 01 330i, best car I ever owned. I do most of my own maintenance, mostly due to the great and useful information I find here. So whatever the X3 may need for upkeep does not concern me. Transmission problems is another thing.
Hello. I 'm the one who started this thread and recently bought an X3 based on everyone's help. My advice for you is to go with an 05 or 06 model. I ended up buying my 05 with 96K miles for $13,200 directly from a BMW dealer. It literally has every option possible, including some not so usual options such as the alarm system and 6-cd player installed. The biggest thing is to plan on changing all the fluids and filters after purchasing. Thankfully I already own an E46 with the same M54 engine as the X3 so the work is easy. That's something you might think about too: an 07 X3 will not have the same engine type as your e46 but an 05 or 06 likely will. Comes in handy when ordering parts or doing fluid changes on both vehicles!

Anyway, so far since I purchased my X3, I've changed the cabin filter, air filter, mats, brake fluid, coolant, and washer pumps. I plan to do spark plugs and a power steering flush next; and differential and transmission flush after that. All this sounds horrendous but I haven't spent much money so far. At least I'll have peace of mind in the future knowing what has been taken care of. One last thing you need to check into is whether or not the transmission has been reprogrammed. There is a procedure you can do to reset the transmission computer so that it "relearns" accordingly to your driving style, but personally I have still seen some shifting issues and I plan on taking it to the dealer soon for a reprogram. More or less, try to buy one that has already had the reprogram done and figure in a few hundred dollars for filter and fluid changes into the price of the vehicle.

Member No. 470379
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Yes the transmission issue was sorted out by mid 2008. Realoem.com lists a second control module part number for builds after a certain month in 2008.

I have an auto 2009 with a 102k and have had zero issues. I also had the same tranny in a 2008 128 vert and it had no issues.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M Sport
Thank you too both, halltristan and x3brian.
I have done some of the same maintenance work to my E46 and have considered the 06 or 05 models because of the similarities of having the same M54 engine.
The 07 models gas mileage was / is of interest, but not worth the possible extra headaches of other major problems. I am assuming that both of you are happy with the modle year you selected. One of the reasons that I am interested in the X3 is so that we can get a small trailor for picking up home improvement supplies and endless shopping needs from my wife. I have no interest in adding a tow bar to my E46 and her car, a 08 VW EOS, is not made for this either. I haven't seen too many X3 with trailor hitches, is this vehicle adequate for pulling a small light weight trailor?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen too many X3 with trailor hitches, is this vehicle adequate for pulling a small light weight trailor?

Yes, as long as you keep total weight below about 2500 pounds to keep your car in line with rated GCVWR (the x3 is rated at 7500 lbs and curb weight is right at 5,000 lbs with cargo, passengers and fuel).

I have a hitch on my x3 that I purchased at the dealer and installed myself when the car was 2 weeks old. Easy install, but I have only used it for a bike rack when we go camping...

Enjoy your hunt for a new car!

My only suggestion...don't buy an x3 with a tow hitch unless you buy direct from first owner who has a story like me. If someone towed a travel trailer or something heavy you don't know what damage was done already. You can easily install one for $300 yourself.

Last edited by x3brian; 11-13-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Yes, as long as you keep total weight below about 2500 pounds to keep your car in line with rated GCVWR (the x3 is rated at 7500 lbs and curb weight is right at 5,000 lbs with cargo, passengers and fuel).

I have a hitch on my x3 that I purchased at the dealer and installed myself when the car was 2 weeks old. Easy install, but I have only used it for a bike rack when we go camping...

Enjoy your hunt for a new car!

My only suggestion...don't buy an x3 with a tow hitch unless you buy direct from first owner who has a story like me. If someone towed a travel trailer or something heavy you don't know what damage was done already. You can easily install one for $300 yourself.
+1

It's funny how much you and I are alike as I did my hitch the same way. I negotiated it thrown in with the deal and installed it myself. I highly encourage anybody wanting one to go OE as you and I have.

I tow a small 4x6 trailer regularly and actually prefer putting the weight on the trailer than the car. It pulls so effortlessly that I have to be careful not to forget it's back there when backing or taking sharp corners.

My wife and I are planning a winter trip up the Alaska Highway in a few years and I'm modifying the trailer specifically with that trip in mind. I have no concerns with the car being robust enough to haul the trailer that distance over rough roads and frost heaves (we drove the road in June a few years back).

The X3 was built with towing in mind so the requirements of extra frame bracing aren't there like on the E46's.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=349258
Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 cold package
I know this was last posted 2 years ago but want to say that when I bought my used 2006 bmw x3 with cold package I have the missing piece that everybody is looking for. The ski bag. It's in a little flat plastic box. I have pics if anyone needs to see them.