Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
roadrunner

Mein Auto: Nothin But The Best
Unhappy E60 530D Main fan running at high rpm

04 530D 95k miles (No other issues)

I started my car today engine started no problem, 2 seconds later the fan kicked in at high RPMs! It's so loud it drowns out the sound of the engine even with the bonnet open!.

I left the car idle for about 5 minutes to see if the fan would stop but no luck, checked all the fluids etc & the engine and oil temps were normal so I went for a 10 minute drive. Cool wet day around 10c/50f

The car ran normally without any warning icons on the dash/iDrive.
Got back home turned off the engine let it cool for a bit started the engine again and of course the fan kicked in running at a crazy speed, the damn thing sounds like a huge vacuum
First thing that came to mind was the thermostat is fried so I decided to check around the net to see what I could find and yep it sounds like either the temp sensor or something linked to the thermostat.

That was all fine and dandy until I started the car again same issue with the fan running constant and at high speed but then I turned off the engine and heard this weird (what I can only describe as) an electronic beeping or an alarm that had been hit with a hammer this beeping stopped after about 30 seconds but beeped twice when I unlocked the car with the remote!

So is it the thermo making the fan kick in at a constant high RPM?
And what the hell is that electronic beeping sound?

Anyone help a fellow bimmer nut out before I get hijacked by a main dealer ?
Ads by Google