Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM
tennisman

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix
Questions o a new 550ix

Recently bought a new 2012 550ix (titanium silver / black). A couple of comments and questions:

Comments:

- Love the smooth power, and pickup - have not noticed any throttle "tip-in" from start that other owner posts have commented on ( had a 535ix loaner and definitely noticed the "hesitation" when accelerating from start )

- Have Continental RFTs on 18" wheels - very smooth with no issues - other posts have commented on the rough ride/feel of the RFT's

- Overall, the car is a very comfortable, smooth, solid and responsive ride (compared to my former ride - MB E350 4matic )

Questions:

- went into change the unlock drivers door only to unlock all doors in the settings menu. However, still only unlocks drivers door - do I have to somehow "save" the setting?

- how do you display written instructions on nav screen?

- updated software from BMW website on USB stick and plugged into USB port in glove box, but screen displays no data on USB?

- does oil need to be changed after " break-in" period - what have other owners done?

Any help answering the above questions would be appreciated!!
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Congratulations. I have a 2011 550i (Oct 2010 build), and I have the same take as you do. I have Michelin RFTs, and I enjoy them quite a bit. After hearing the horror stories from everyone else, I was babying them, but even after I let it go, no issues with them or the rims.

My change from driver door only unlock to all doors unlocked had worked. There should be no "save" to be performed. You may want to try it one more time, and ensure that you have only one key in the vicinity when you do this to eliminate certain other potential issues.
I would love to find out if there is a way to display written instructions on the nav screen. AFAIK, there is no way to do this, but I am hoping I am wrong.
The USB stick for the updated software will need to go to the USB port in the center console, not the glove box.
Oil change is a religious topic . You will find folks in different points on the spectrum. All I can tell you is what I did; I changed it at one year from production (and I had very low mileage at the time, ~2K). And will be doing so every year (next one is up soon, ith 4.5K miles ). This is what I had done for all my BMWs, in different continents, no issues so far (never owned an M though, those have a different recommendation).