Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Everyone is a comedian. I don't think I will EVER own a GM vehicle. The sport/comfort seats in my 7-series are PERFECT which is one of the reasons the X5 is still in the mix...
The head restraints, pressing against the back of the skull, is just another step to increase safety. While I understand you don't like GM's vehicles, the '13 Enclave (actually, all three of the Lambda platform siblings) receive a new CENTER airbag this year. It inflates between the driver and front passenger (stored in the right side of the driver's seat) to keep them from bouncing off one another! Crazy stuff.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Sorry to go OT for a second, but Emission, I loved your review of the s6/7. I am seriously considering either for my new dd. thank you!
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Sorry to go OT for a second, but Emission, I loved your review of the s6/7. I am seriously considering either for my new dd. thank you!
This thread has gone all over the place...

The S6/S7 (and S8) drive happened by chance. I heard Audi was in my area with the cars so I asked if I could come drive all three. They agreed.

Karl Brauer, former Editor-in-Chief of Edmunds, and I grabbed the keys to an S6 and S7 and went up Mulholland to play cat-and-mouse for a couple hours -- pure bliss, of course. We'd pull over every so often on the side of the road and swap cars, allowing perfect back-to-back comparisons. Opportunities like that are rare, so I convinced my editor to allow me to write a short post about how the two vehicles drove. I really like the A7, but the S6 won me over.

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d base model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Nice, so it gets almost 3mpg more than my 335d does for mixed driving. But of course everyone's version of mixed driving seems to vary by a good bit. Still impressive none the less.
I put about 15k miles on my 335d and averaged about 32 mpg. We have now put about 22k miles on our 2011 Touareg TDI. Average is about 28 mpg with me behind the wheel in mixed driving with a 1000' elevation climb/decent, exactly same driving as the 335d. My wife never drove the 335d, she brings the avg Touareg mpg down to about 25.7 mpg.

The Cayenne and Touareg have the same engine/aisin 8 speed/torsen center diff/3.27 gear ratio.

Where the Touareg really shines is on the open road, 37+ (hand calculated). mpg at 55-60 mph!! My 335d would get about 43 mpg under the same conditions, it seems like the dpf regens had a harder hit on mpg on the 335d than the TDI.

I have been very impressed with the Touareg, 0 problems, not a squeak or rattle. I do wish it had a locking center diff. Can't wait to check out the 2014 JGC CRD
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
And the new MY '13 T-egg with the Gen II engine should do even better! As will the Q7 and of course the Cayenne -- which all use the same diesel engine now.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
This thread has gone all over the place...

The S6/S7 (and S8) drive happened by chance. I heard Audi was in my area with the cars so I asked if I could come drive all three. They agreed.

Karl Brauer, former Editor-in-Chief of Edmunds, and I grabbed the keys to an S6 and S7 and went up Mulholland to play cat-and-mouse for a couple hours -- pure bliss, of course. We'd pull over every so often on the side of the road and swap cars, allowing perfect back-to-back comparisons. Opportunities like that are rare, so I convinced my editor to allow me to write a short post about how the two vehicles drove. I really like the A7, but the S6 won me over.

- Mike
I got to drive an S6 the other day. No way in hell does it only have 420hp
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I got to drive an S6 the other day. No way in hell does it only have 420hp
Although I may get banned for this, I'd choose the '13 S6 over the '13 M5 (this assumes I would track neither of the two).

- Mike

Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Quote:
Although I may get banned for this, I'd choose the '13 S6 over the '13 M5 (this assumes I would track neither of the two).

- Mike
I hear you. I just swapped my E90 M3 for a B8 S4 Prestige. Around town the Audi feels faster, but the overall package, comfort, luxury, etc. makes the S4 a better everyday car for us. I just really think Audi has figured out how to make the best blend of sport and luxury, and the quattro system is superior to xdrive in a sports car application for sure. While I've always been a RWD loyalist for my sports cars, with the amount of power these cars are making and advances in AWD and rear differential technology, it's hard to imagine the future doesn't hold more AWD sports cars.

All that said, the new M5 is beast, and I'm not sure I could draw the same conclusion as you, but I haven't driven both. For now, B8 S4 > E90 M3 as an overall package (although the S65 is nostalgic). I'm sure the F30 M3 will be sweet though, so it may be the next one for me (if not, latest S6 is high on my list).
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I hear you. I just swapped my E90 M3 for a B8 S4 Prestige. Around town the Audi feels faster, but the overall package, comfort, luxury, etc. makes the S4 a better everyday car for us. I just really think Audi has figured out how to make the best blend of sport and luxury, and the quattro system is superior to xdrive in a sports car application for sure. While I've always been a RWD loyalist for my sports cars, with the amount of power these cars are making and advances in AWD and rear differential technology, it's hard to imagine the future doesn't hold more AWD sports cars.

All that said, the new M5 is beast, and I'm not sure I could draw the same conclusion as you, but I haven't driven both. For now, B8 S4 > E90 M3 as an overall package (although the S65 is nostalgic). I'm sure the F30 M3 will be sweet though, so it may be the next one for me (if not, latest S6 is high on my list).
Sitting down? From my (inside) vantage point, I see rear-wheel drive Audi models in the near future. Talk about a game changing move...

- Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 AM

Developed by Porsche of course! Not really a surprise, with the bringing on board of the newest member of VA(P)G. Whatever it will be, look for the new RWD to be awesome. Any hints on what the new offering might be and when we would see it?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Developed by Porsche of course! Not really a surprise, with the bringing on board of the newest member of VA(P)G. Whatever it will be, look for the new RWD to be awesome. Any hints on what the new offering might be and when we would see it?
Credit Wolfgang Durheimer, former head of Bugatti and Bentley (and head of Porsche's development team) and now Audi's top dog. The guy is both passionate about cars and brilliant in his business sense. Audi has impressive things in the pipe, but other than the hints they drop each time I see them everyone is mum on specifics.

BMW is playing catch-up right now, but I have high hopes for the next X5 as it was still in design when the Cayenne went public. Let's just hope it has shed about 400 pounds too...

- Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Sitting down? From my (inside) vantage point, I see rear-wheel drive Audi models in the near future. Talk about a game changing move...

- Mike
I guess this is from the new rwd platform that will be used in the Porsche Pajun? Does it sound like Audi will release a car on this platform before the Pajun that is rumored to be available around 2016? It's very exciting to see V.A.G stepping up their game in the direction of making more spirited cars.

I'm not surprised at all about the F10 review. I was thoroughly disappointed in my F10. Nice drivetrain and luxury but also a bit of a numb pig. I'm sure the M5 is a lot better but that it still has some likeness in it's behaviour to the non M F10s. I have no desire to the new M5.

Before I got my M3, Audi borrowed me a new B8 S4 for 24h. I was very impressed how balanced and athletic it felt compared to earlier Audis. It's very nice but to me it can't match the M3's steering, suspension, engine and overall serious sports car feel. It felt a bit more artificial and "plasticky" and the steering didn't feel much better than the F10's.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I guess this is from the new rwd platform that will be used in the Porsche Pajun? Does it sound like Audi will release a car on this platform before the Pajun that is rumored to be available around 2016? It's very exciting to see V.A.G stepping up their game in the direction of making more spirited cars.

I'm not surprised at all about the F10 review. I was thoroughly disappointed in my F10. Nice drivetrain and luxury but also a bit of a numb pig. I'm sure the M5 is a lot better but that it still has some likeness in it's behaviour to the non M F10s. I have no desire to the new M5.

Before I got my M3, Audi borrowed me a new B8 S4 for 24h. I was very impressed how balanced and athletic it felt compared to earlier Audis. It's very nice but to me it can't match the M3's steering, suspension, engine and overall serious sports car feel. It felt a bit more artificial and "plasticky" and the steering didn't feel much better than the F10's.
I really don't know much at all... just conversations over dinner where the executives drop hints.

By the way, BMW let me drive an E92 M3 at the F10 M5 event... and I was faster around Laguna Seca in it (catching up to the M5s on the circuit). I'd love an E90 M3...

- Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
There were rumors that the next-gen A8 will be based on a shared Porsche platform and WILL be RWD. I think that rumor also extended to the upcoming Pajun and next gen A6. Of course, the C7 just came out, so the RWD C8 has a long time to go before we have our hands on one.

That being said, Audi and Porsche together sounds like an awesome harmony. Porsche doing all the chassis/tuning, while Audi works with the gizmos and interiors. I can't wait to see the next round of Audi/Porsche products. BMW is in serious trouble.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:

- Mike
Don't say that around the F10 section. You will get crucified for liking that FWD VW
Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Porsche Cayenne Diesel is a great oil burner!
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Don't say that around the F10 section. You will get crucified for liking that FWD VW
I reviewed the F10 550i, and went on the record as not liking it.

I reviewed the F10 M5 6MT, and went on the record as not liking it.

Quite sure I am not welcomed on that part of the Fest anyway.

- Mike

Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:

- Mike
Quote:
The S6 is FWD? I have not had my coffee yet today so forgive me if I was reading things wrong.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
This Cayenne Diesel vs BMW X5d sure has strayed off topic. Would love to hear more comparisons between those two from people that have driven both or own both.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
The S6 is FWD? I have not had my coffee yet today so forgive me if I was reading things wrong.
Nah, its just what the idiots call the Audi to make themselves feel better about buying the F10
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM

DBV, now that a few Cayenne diesels are out there and folks are getting some miles on them I suspect we will hear from them as to how they like them in real world life, and how they compared with their X5d's that were owned before. Just hang in there and enjoy the thread for what it is.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
DBV, now that a few Cayenne diesels are out there and folks are getting some miles on them I suspect we will hear from them as to how they like them in real world life, and how they compared with their X5d's that were owned before. Just hang in there and enjoy the thread for what it is.
+1

Plus, all of this VW Group/BMW Group talk does help as it helps to understand where each automaker has positioned (or is positioning) themselves in the market.

- Mike

Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
I have had both the X5's & VW Toureg V8 in the family and do alot of beach diving to our beach house, around 14klm of beach (there is no road to the house).

One thing I can say it the VW has alot more steel components underneath than does the X5, after 3 years we had alot of surface rust on those VW parts.

The X5 has more alloy parts and better underneath consealment trays protecting the under body, We also had oil leaks in the VW from the gearbox to motor.
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Not to mention you'll be stoned to death. Nonetheless, I will take a new S6 or RS6 over the new M5 too.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4588 View Post
Not to mention you'll be stoned to death. Nonetheless, I will take a new S6 or RS6 over the new M5 too.
These are all great options each a bit different. Gotta know what you want (need :-))
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215