Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW M
Run Flat to Non-Run Flat Summer Tires

Can you really feel the difference or is it just psychological.
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Massive difference, especially if you buy a non-runflat that has a comfortable ride like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
The ride will be much smoother & softer. I personally think you will get less flats. My run flats loved nails!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM

I personally detest runflats.
  • They are heavy (critical since wheels are unsprung weight)
  • They are expensive (almost 2x non-runflats)
  • There is very little selection - you are stuck with choosing between 2 models
  • They are non-repairable - most shops won't touch them for liability reasons
  • They ride very rough over sharp small bumps
  • They are rare - if you get a flat anywhere other than a major urban center, you are SOL - you will very likely have to buy a non-runflat (I have personal experience with this one)

The only thing I like about them is that the stiff sidewalls make for great turn-in feel, and they also hold up better at the track than any other street tire I've tracked.

Runflat Story
Last year on the way back from the Tail of the Dragon, a friend of mine in a runflat-equipped 135i hit a rock on the interstate in middle-of-nowhere Ohio. The stiff sidewall combined with a rock impact blew a hole the size of a quarter in the sidewall. I do not think a normal tire would have failed in this case - it would have taken the hit without blowing out the sidewall. We made it to the next exit and had to call a flatbed, which towed the car to Kelly BMW in Columbus, OH. We had to book a hotel since it was night. The next day neither the BMW dealer nor any of the local tire shops had the runflat we needed so he ended up buying a pair of Hankook V12s in order to have matching tires on the fronts. The pair of Hankooks cost less than the single runflat at the dealer, who also wanted us to wait half a day for the tire to be shipped in from another dealer.

Now if this was a pre-runflat BMW with a proper full sized spare in the trunk, we would have pulled off to the side of the interstate, installed the spare, and drove home to Toronto that night. No hotel room x 4 (there were 4 of us on the trip), no waiting 2 hours for a tow, no need to buy 2 tires of the wrong type, etc...

Runflats suck...

Last edited by Yorgi; 10-09-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
I haven't replaced my runflats on my 09 650i yet, but I do have experience with replacing them on my 06 Z06. It transformed the Vette. Much quieter ride and much smoother. I'll not go back to runflats. But I do carry a AAA card.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I guess I could say as a psychologist that switching to non-runflats does not make a mere psychological difference. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports have truly transformed the way my car rides. It's very comfortable now even with the sports package.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Luv the Michelin pilot super sports! Never do runflats again - and always keep a spare in my trunk but haven't had to use it in two years.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 AM
BimmerLover

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Does the tpsm still work effectively?

Current: 2012 528xi. Delivery date 03/13/2012.
Dark Graphite Metallic / Oyster-Black interior. Cold Weather / Premium / Technology pkg. BMW Apps. Rear fold down seats.

Prior: 2005 530i. Cold weather/Premium Pkg
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baquir View Post
Does the tpsm still work effectively?
Yes, no difference with runflat vs standard tires.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Well it has it advantages and disadvatages. I was thinking or doing a full replacement once my tires are worn and with the idea of getting the small spare tire kit, I think it's getting a bit more appealing to make the switch once I've gotten my money's worth out of the RFT. Yorgi is right, you are quite limited by the selection.
True story: I was changing a flat on my Honda on the parkway once and a state trooper pulled up behind me. He came out and asked it i needed a tow. I told him no, I'm just gonna switch the tire myself. He looked at me and shook his head and said, I was probably the second person he has come across that still posses that ability. We laugh a bit because in some ways it's true. You'll be surprise that a lot of folks forget how to do this dying art.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
I am used to running Bimmers without spares, my M3 and Z4M both had non-run flats and an M Mobility Kit. I still have the kit and I have stored it in my boot. My only problem is that the new to me 650i has old fronts but new rears in run flats. I guess the cost of four non-run flats would still be as cheap as two run flats...

I can change a tire, but I haven't had to since the Firestone 500 debacle (kids, look it up) so I won't waste space and money lugging a spare.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
Non run flats are the way to go, completely agree with Yorgi.
I had my Pilot Super Sports for about 700 miles now, feels good and sounds good (ie no loud sound) compared to the stock Bridgestone run flats i have on my 650i.
TPMS works the same way for run flats and non run flats...as the name says it measures the tire pressure (or the sudden change)

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I am used to running Bimmers without spares, my M3 and Z4M both had non-run flats and an M Mobility Kit. I still have the kit and I have stored it in my boot. My only problem is that the new to me 650i has old fronts but new rears in run flats. I guess the cost of four non-run flats would still be as cheap as two run flats...

I can change a tire, but I haven't had to since the Firestone 500 debacle (kids, look it up) so I won't waste space and money lugging a spare.

Well, just to show some balance. Things can and do happen. 6 months ago after changing from runflats to Nittos Invos on my 2006 Z06 I picked up this little jewel. Long story short I was only 6 miles from my home and it took me 2 hours of my time to have the tire removed, repaired and replaced. Now I ask my self how much time would have lapsed had I been 100 miles from home in a rural area? AAA was great, but the flat bed truck could not load the car because of the low front splitter. Hopefully a 650 is easier to transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	345331  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
runflat voiding warranty

Hey does changing your run flats to regular tires void the warranty?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenardbjr View Post
Hey does changing your run flats to regular tires void the warranty?
No!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Black sedan
I made the switch from run flats to non run flats and, at best, the difference is subtle. The new tires are quieter and the ride is a little more compliant, but there is not a huge difference. Don't expect a massive change.