Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 02-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: Black M5
WTF transmission!!!

New car to me, 2006 BMW M5 SMG 65,000 miles. Keep getting "transmission malfunction" lights at all random times. Car seems to be running fine. I get both the red and yellow signs. Also "check engine" and "increased emission" keep coming intermittely as well. Comes on for a day or two then goes off for a day or two. Car just had new clutch put in in October. Mechanic just did transmission software update. Had no warning for a day then they started again. HELP!!!
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: E61, 523i
I dont drive a M5 but have been to many forum concerning E60/E61 and all say that the problem with the SMG transmission is that the hydralic pump dies after 50.000 miles. There is a lot of post on other forum about this. Hope you solve it.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadM5 View Post
New car to me, 2006 BMW M5 SMG 65,000 miles. Keep getting "transmission malfunction" lights at all random times. Car seems to be running fine. I get both the red and yellow signs. Also "check engine" and "increased emission" keep coming intermittely as well. Comes on for a day or two then goes off for a day or two. Car just had new clutch put in in October. Mechanic just did transmission software update. Had no warning for a day then they started again. HELP!!!
Have your alternator checked.

SMG could be an issue, but, are you having any transmission issues.. feel wise?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Looks like it's going to be the clutch position sensor.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 m5
WTF transmission!!!

My understanding is if BMW replaces the clutch the clutch position sensor is replaced as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Mine wasn't apparently. But they also said the sensor can easily be damaged when putting the clutch back in.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 m5
My M5 is at the dealer now 5-3-11 having this Sensor replaced (I had to Flat Bed it to the dealer as it was not drivable interestingly I got no warning lights or yellow/red gear symbols) - cost to do this $1616 and since the transmission housing is off and apart the dealer is going to look at my clutch & flywheel for no extra diagnostic cost and let me know the wear. The car has 84,000 miles so I probably will replace the clutch now as my extended warranty is paying $1400 of this work and in another 30K miles I'll for sure have to repeat this with no coverage. What did you sensor end up costing? and your clutch?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 AM

I think clutch sensor was around $700 installed. Previous owner replaced the clutch and that was a pretty penny, close to $3000.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745li
mine is doing the exact same, "trans malfunction" in yellow and red light. it did it 3 times today, when i was parkd and the car was runing and another time wen i had it in Reverse. wat was wrong with urs? im trying to get info on it, ive been reading on this forum, any help is apperciated.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM

In my case it was the clutch sensor causing the problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: bmw m5
2006 bmw m5

I HAD THE SAME ISSUE AND I END UP REPLACE MY FLY WHEEL RELEASE BEARING CLUTCH N HYDRO SHIFTER...IT WAS A PAIN IN THE BUTT, I END UP SPENDING 4800 TO GET EVERYTHING FIX....BTW WHAT KIND OF EXTENDED WARRANTY DID U HAVE, CUZ I HAVE FIDELITY AND THEY SUCK ASS.....I CANCEL THEM, SINCE THEY REFUSE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	296693  

Last edited by bhuynh85; 10-11-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:30 PM

I paid out of pocket. No warranty. If ur in the San Diego area. Euro Auto Spot is awesome and half the price of the dealership.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw m5
what are other aftermarket warranties i can get>?

I have a 2006 bmw m5 and i am having trouble with my smg ..trans..at first i had problems with the increased emissions and check engine soon..i kept telling the dealership what was the problem and they could not fine it ..kept changing the shaftcrank cesor...anyway i am at 73000 miles and now the transmission bangs a little bit from 1 to 2 and 3 ...and on...but 70 percent of the time it is doinng this...the dealership is telling me its gonna cost me 900 to just look at it to find out whats wrong with it...and i think thats bull****...they should be able to tell me whats wrong with it before i pay for anything...all these computers and tech...wtf...anyway..i was wondering if it could be a clutch or sesor?...or something else there telling me it could be the transmission...but i dont believe that...they wanted me to trade my car in valued at 16000 dollars are you kidding me...like wtf is wrong with these people and they wonder why audi and poruche are taking offf...and bmw is being left behind....is there an after market warranty that i can buy to protect me?...or what can this problem be...i have be telling the dealership aabout this problem since i was in warranty since i felt that the car was loseing power...but nothing still stupid anwsers...
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw m5
i really do not want to get rid of the car...but im thinking about it ...i still owe about 23000 on the car still ...and i need to come up with an anwser...to make this car ride smooth..before i do anything ...either selling it trading it...or keeping it?...any help?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Sorry to hear about your issues.

You have couple of options here….
• Pay $900.00 for tear down/diagnostic fee. It can be Clutch Position Sensor or Clutch itself and or flywheel. Once the transmission is down they'll be able to inspect your SMG and its components, as well. The standard practice is that the dealership will credit these in your final repairs provided that you get all the work done at the same dealership.
• Find an independent BMW shop in Philadelphia area. You can find the list of competent shops below
- http://www.bimmershops.com/near/philadelphia-pa/

Here's the truth (and you probably know this), you'll have to spend money, how much it depends …. my guess is anywhere between $2700 and $4800. If it's clutch or flywheel related then no 3rd party company will cover it because it's considered wear and tear items just like tires, brakes etc. If it's SMG related, then some will cover and some won't, depending on if the services contract clearly mentions it in writing or not.

Given the way you have described, I think it's SMG/Transmission related. Hope it helps/
Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderm5 View Post
I have a 2006 bmw m5 and i am having trouble with my smg ..trans..at first i had problems with the increased emissions and check engine soon..i kept telling the dealership what was the problem and they could not fine it ..kept changing the shaftcrank cesor...anyway i am at 73000 miles and now the transmission bangs a little bit from 1 to 2 and 3 ...and on...but 70 percent of the time it is doinng this...the dealership is telling me its gonna cost me 900 to just look at it to find out whats wrong with it...and i think thats bull****...they should be able to tell me whats wrong with it before i pay for anything...all these computers and tech...wtf...anyway..i was wondering if it could be a clutch or sesor?...or something else there telling me it could be the transmission...but i dont believe that...they wanted me to trade my car in valued at 16000 dollars are you kidding me...like wtf is wrong with these people and they wonder why audi and poruche are taking offf...and bmw is being left behind....is there an after market warranty that i can buy to protect me?...or what can this problem be...i have be telling the dealership aabout this problem since i was in warranty since i felt that the car was loseing power...but nothing still stupid anwsers...
Interesting rant.

Anyone that has done proper research on the early E60 M5 would surely know that the SMG is a total disaster and costs stupid money out of warranty.. In fact, did you not wonder why your new used car was so cheap!?!?!? Because they are a nightmare to maintain.

Your fault

And now that the car is broken, you want to buy a warranty to 'protect' yourself? That's fraud.

If you do not understand the need to open mechanical assemblies to diagnose issues, you ought to be driving a 4 cyl 1980s Toyota

Go to m5board for tons of info on this PRECISE issue
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
I had a smg pressure undershoot as well as a clutch activation deviation code. Car would kick itself into neutral once I came to a stop. I have solved and repaired the problem. I went to the dealer and bought clutch sensor, slave cylinder, relays, ball pin and electric motor that drives the smg pump. I then ordered a Sachs clutch elsewhere since it was a little cheaper. Replaced all these parts. Had car flat bedded to my local euro shop for clutch readaptation and smg unit bleeding. I must admit my blood pressure was high while waiting for the car to be programmed. Car came out ready to go. No flywheel needed. Stock clutch was still in decent shape but didn't wanna go back in later so I went ahead and changed it.. Throw out bearing was starting to get chewed up. Really dry and rough. I spent about $2000 on everything.