Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak74 View Post
Hey members need some help deciding on a new vehicle 2013 550i m sport or range rover sport supercharged. I know thier two different vehicles but I like them both. Has anyone owned a rrs supercharged and a 550i what were your thoughts on the two.

Btw I am planing to lease the rrs or the BMW
Thanks
I have a 550 and an X5 and I love them both. I love the RRS Supercharged too but I've never owned one. If you have to choose and have only one car I think the RR is the way to go. It's big and comfy, practical and elegant with a gorgeous interior. If I had to choose between the 550 and the X5 I would keep the X5. BTW, have you driven a new X5 35d? It's not nearly as elegant and exclusive as a RR but it's infinitely better handling when you add Adaptive Drive to it.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Interesting to see how well RR is received on here. I am glad to hear some honest assessments and feedback. It sounds like Range Rovers are no worse than some BMWs (such as mine that has spent over a month in the shop this year).

I love my BMW but both my wife and I have sedans and a 85 lbs lab - so I think an SUV will be in the future.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I have a 550 and an X5 and I love them both. I love the RRS Supercharged too but I've never owned one. If you have to choose and have only one car I think the RR is the way to go. It's big and comfy, practical and elegant with a gorgeous interior. If I had to choose between the 550 and the X5 I would keep the X5. BTW, have you driven a new X5 35d? It's not nearly as elegant and exclusive as a RR but it's infinitely better handling when you add Adaptive Drive to it.
I think the RRS Supercharged with the adaptive suspension is sportier than the X5.

But wait till the next aluminum version comes out. They shaved 900lbs of the big RR. I they can shave 500lbs of the sport, it is going to be amazing.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 mercedes benz gl 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I think the RRS Supercharged with the adaptive suspension is sportier than the X5.

But wait till the next aluminum version comes out. They shaved 900lbs of the big RR. I they can shave 500lbs of the sport, it is going to be amazing.
Yes that's true stealth but been looking for a vechiele for some time now and can't wait any longer . But I hate to buy the first year on a new model especially land rover. But the 550i is preety sweet to driving my self crazy between the two can't decide. If I go with the BMW I've got some question to ask you about your previous 550i.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Yes that's true stealth but been looking for a vechiele for some time now and can't wait any longer . But I hate to buy the first year on a new model especially land rover. But the 550i is preety sweet to driving my self crazy between the two can't decide. If I go with the BMW I've got some question to ask you about your previous 550i.

Thanks
I would pick a 550i over any SUV.

SUVs cannot match sedans for handling. They are nice cars for soccer moms.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I would pick a 550i over any SUV.

SUVs cannot match sedans for handling. They are nice cars for soccer moms.
And boat and large dog-owning dads
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
you can see the new RR on the land rover website

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish View Post
you can see the new RR on the land rover website
Is that a Chris Bangle tribute I see in the shape of the headlights and the rear lights? Some pretty obvious "flame surface" extensions going on. Looks like the E60 re-incarnated as an SUV. That's what you get for being a bad boy.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The upcoming RR Sport shouldn't much more than a 100lbs heavier than a 550xi. That's kind of sad.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I think the 550 xi weigh about the same as a base Cayenne. The Cayenne is 4475 lbs.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM

I ended up buying a 2013 M5 after all which I was looking at a range rover sport sc or a BMW 550i
I think made the best choice going with the m5
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 AM
The Driver

Quote:
I ended up buying a 2013 M5 after all which I was looking at a range rover sport sc or a BMW 550i
I think made the best choice going with the m5
Welcome to the club!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 12-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Hi,

I've never posted on the forum before, but noticed this thread a chuckled a little. Although the comparison is a little odd, it's one that I've made for myself in the last 6 months. I can offer a little bit of perspective having owned a 2012 RR SC and now a 2013 550ix. As prelude to what I'm about to say, I've owned the RR SC since new and held onto it for only 2 months before throwing in the towel. Both cars are dramatically different in the way they feel and the way they drive.

The RR SC was beautiful to see, looked great in the front row of the valet, and drove as comfortably as any SUV I've ever own. It turned well, stopped well, accelerated well. Compared to the 2013 Cayenne S, it was more comfortable, more luxurious, faster in the straights, but lacked steering feel compared to the Cayenne. The RR looks like a 70k+ car. The Cayenne S doesn't seem to look as 'special.' I also felt the RR was much more car than the X5, with the exception of the X5M. The RR was a great car except that it SQUEAKED incessantly. The tech was patient and resolving some of the squeaks and rattles, but could not resolve all of the them. I finally gave up. The car was brand new and sounded like it had 60k miles on it. A friend has a 2010 RR SC and the squeaks were worse. This was not a good sign since the problems will only get worse in time.

The 550 is a much different car. It's much quicker than the RR SC. It handles better. It's also can't offer the 'cool' factor. Baller's don't drive 550's. It's more adaptable to upgrades. It has fit and finish many levels above the RR. It offers a more satisfying commute for me. There is much talk about the current gen 5 series not offering the BMW feel, the connection to the road. I would tend to agree. But those issues are easy to resolve if you are willing to do some mods. Even in stock form, my 550 with the M sport and DDC feels better than any comparable sedan in the class.

The choice in cars is very personal. If you decide to go for the RR, my advice is that you scrutinize the car that you are considering. Make sure that every panel, dial, switch, etc is perfect. Make sure the mechanicals are noise free, and the car drives like a vault. As others have said, get rid of it before the warranty ends. The tell-tale is that most extended warranty companies won't offer a policy for RR. I'm not advising you get an extended warranty. Rather, it might be wise to acknowledge what that implies.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you will love whatever vehicle you choose.

-Charlie
2013 550ix M Sport and other goodies
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I can seem to find it - but if you google 2014 Range Rover Sport - lots of options come up. Even some spy photos.

One more thing to ad - Normally getting a first model year of any car is not ideal, I suspect with one that has LR history - is probably a bad idea.

Let us know what you get!
I bought the M5! they gave me 8000.00 grand off sticker. Sticker was 108695.00

Last edited by Dak74; 12-08-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieko View Post
Hi,

I've never posted on the forum before, but noticed this thread a chuckled a little. Although the comparison is a little odd, it's one that I've made for myself in the last 6 months. I can offer a little bit of perspective having owned a 2012 RR SC and now a 2013 550ix. As prelude to what I'm about to say, I've owned the RR SC since new and held onto it for only 2 months before throwing in the towel. Both cars are dramatically different in the way they feel and the way they drive.

The RR SC was beautiful to see, looked great in the front row of the valet, and drove as comfortably as any SUV I've ever own. It turned well, stopped well, accelerated well. Compared to the 2013 Cayenne S, it was more comfortable, more luxurious, faster in the straights, but lacked steering feel compared to the Cayenne. The RR looks like a 70k+ car. The Cayenne S doesn't seem to look as 'special.' I also felt the RR was much more car than the X5, with the exception of the X5M. The RR was a great car except that it SQUEAKED incessantly. The tech was patient and resolving some of the squeaks and rattles, but could not resolve all of the them. I finally gave up. The car was brand new and sounded like it had 60k miles on it. A friend has a 2010 RR SC and the squeaks were worse. This was not a good sign since the problems will only get worse in time.

The 550 is a much different car. It's much quicker than the RR SC. It handles better. It's also can't offer the 'cool' factor. Baller's don't drive 550's. It's more adaptable to upgrades. It has fit and finish many levels above the RR. It offers a more satisfying commute for me. There is much talk about the current gen 5 series not offering the BMW feel, the connection to the road. I would tend to agree. But those issues are easy to resolve if you are willing to do some mods. Even in stock form, my 550 with the M sport and DDC feels better than any comparable sedan in the class.

The choice in cars is very personal. If you decide to go for the RR, my advice is that you scrutinize the car that you are considering. Make sure that every panel, dial, switch, etc is perfect. Make sure the mechanicals are noise free, and the car drives like a vault. As others have said, get rid of it before the warranty ends. The tell-tale is that most extended warranty companies won't offer a policy for RR. I'm not advising you get an extended warranty. Rather, it might be wise to acknowledge what that implies.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you will love whatever vehicle you choose.

-Charlie
2013 550ix M Sport and other goodies
Good first post and welcome.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I've been in the 2014 RR at an event. It was GORGEOUS inside and out. Very luxurious, and I'm sure it will still maintain its off-road prowess. But RR is not known for its reliability, so that is a lot of risk to take, especially the first year. But congrats on the M5!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
It is clear a new RR will not deliver the same quality experience you will get from a new BMW.
So when buying a RR maybe it should have at least 50k miles and 3 years?
So that all the little poblems are there and the acquired patina gives the car just that feeling, you do only take it in for service as it is in a nondrivable status.