Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
When people are considering W&T insurance, they should really make sure they understand what tire insurance already comes from the manufacturer. I saw some posts on bimmerfest here and in the GT forum stating that Goodyear tires are covered. While my dealer told me a bold face lie "Goodyear only warranties for 12 month for defects only"...taking advice on the GT forum I called the Goodyear 800# and was quickly told that ALL GOODYEAR RUNFLATS are guaranteed for 6 years for BOTH Defects AND Road Hazard. During the first 12 months, it is 100% although you do pay the dealer for mount/balance. After 12 months, the warranty is pro-rated. Goodyear even called my Service Adv. for me and gave them the claim #. I paid $45 vs. $470!

So getting back to the insurance question, if I had bought the W&T insurance for my new GT, I would really only be buying Wheel insurance + some small amount of protection on the road hazard assuming the insurance is full replacement and not pro-rated.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVSR View Post
When people are considering W&T insurance, they should really make sure they understand what tire insurance already comes from the manufacturer. I saw some posts on bimmerfest here and in the GT forum stating that Goodyear tires are covered. While my dealer told me a bold face lie "Goodyear only warranties for 12 month for defects only"...taking advice on the GT forum I called the Goodyear 800# and was quickly told that ALL GOODYEAR RUNFLATS are guaranteed for 6 years for BOTH Defects AND Road Hazard. During the first 12 months, it is 100% although you do pay the dealer for mount/balance. After 12 months, the warranty is pro-rated. Goodyear even called my Service Adv. for me and gave them the claim #. I paid $45 vs. $470!

So getting back to the insurance question, if I had bought the W&T insurance for my new GT, I would really only be buying Wheel insurance + some small amount of protection on the road hazard assuming the insurance is full replacement and not pro-rated.
In line with this comment...

People MUST read and understand the written warranty: many mfgs have one warranty for retail tires and a DIFFERENT warranty for the exact same tire when it comes OE on the car.

Given how common it is for telephone customer support to get it wrong, remember that the legally binding answer is in the documents (disc) that comes with the car...
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

Post #2.

Callaway, was that a BMW plan???

Although I purchased it from the dealer finance guy, it was not a BMW plan. A bit of a correction on the price, it was $879. It covered for 5 years/100k miles. I made out slightly, as I had 2 tires replaced under the warranty. The company was easy to deal with during the claims process.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
well, after blowing two tires with more than 50% thread left and not getting them repaired but replaced the road hazard warranty (has nothing to do with manufacturing defects) would have been good. I will next time if there is one try to bundle it into price negs.
When getting new tires from anyone else than dealership it is worth the hazard plan as well.

h
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i

Last edited by CALLAWAY845; 10-28-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: duplicate entry
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
well, after blowing two tires with more than 50% thread left and not getting them repaired but replaced the road hazard warranty (has nothing to do with manufacturing defects) would have been good. I will next time if there is one try to bundle it into price negs.
When getting new tires from anyone else than dealership it is worth the hazard plan as well.

h

I often recommend people drive their new car to the local tire store (discount, americas, big o, etc, etc) and ask them if they will sell a road hazard plan to you....surprisingly MANY will!

Prevailing wisdom is you need to buy the tires to buy the plan, but that is not the case....
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: Anything and Everything
Rim/Seal Issues on 2012 X535iSport?

I have a client for whom I sourced a 2012 X5 35i Sport Activity with the 20" wheels back in June. Since delivery he has received TPM warnings for all 4 wheels on more than one occasion and has visibly seen each of the four tires in a deflated state. The car is often garaged and idle and upon return there has been air loss. My question is if anyone has had or has heard of any endemic bead or seal issues with these 20" wheels? That's the only thing I can think of. I'm running the car to the shop for him tomorrow so wanted to have some ammo on hand before they tell me that the change in temperature is to blame, top me off and pat me on the behind. Thanks.