Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50 2.5
Preparation for Azorean Bimmer project: compression test results

Hi all.

As part of preparation for a complete or partial overhaul, I performed a compression test on my pride and joy. Results on pictures. Note that on picture #1 test was performed with just the spark plug from the cylinder to be checked removed. On the other, all plugs were out, as in the bible, and the results are quite different. The test was conducted in "dry" conditions.

My initial interpretation: piston rings appears all right for the mileage (150000mi). The problem maybe resting on the valves. Note piston #5.

Curious fact. After putting everything together, I drive a little and a lot of smoke, oil burning on headers, started. I parked home and note that header between #3 and #4.

Further inputs on this are pretty much welcome.

Best regards

1 bar=14,5psi

Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Pretty good figures. Only way to improve them or equalise them is top overhaul. Sometimes fixing thing that are not too broken is better than waiting.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 AM

Hi all.

That's my plan of action: perform a top overhaul. My plans included short-block overhaul, but with these numbers I'll just go for a top overhaul (budget sake).

Best regards
Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsie View Post
Hi all.

As part of preparation for a complete or partial overhaul, I performed a compression test on my pride and joy. Results on pictures. Note that on picture #1 test was performed with just the spark plug from the cylinder to be checked removed. On the other, all plugs were out, as in the bible, and the results are quite different. The test was conducted in "dry" conditions.

My initial interpretation: piston rings appears all right for the mileage (150000mi). The problem maybe resting on the valves. Note piston #5.

Curious fact. After putting everything together, I drive a little and a lot of smoke, oil burning on headers, started. I parked home and note that header between #3 and #4.

Further inputs on this are pretty much welcome.

Best regards

1 bar=14,5psi
Err....the results look the same. Could you point out the difference ?

What is the benefit in removing all of the spark plugs before testing each chamber one by one ?

Why did you not conduct a wet test ? That could have yielded interesting results and would only have taken another 20-30 minutes at the most.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 10-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Hi al
My understanding of the Bentley is to perform the test with all plugs ouThe main difference is on #5. Goes down to 1bar..

Quite true. But I was running late and I went only for the dry. I believe the wet is mainly to disgnose the short block but with this compression I assumed they are fine.
Thanks for the input.

Best regards.

Fernando
Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
my interpretation of taking all the plugs out is for two reasons, 1 is that it will make the job of turning the engine over on the starter much easier for it and help you not run out of battery power. the other reason is obviously the car wont start up unexpectedly if there is no spark plugs

i may be wrong

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
my interpretation of taking all the plugs out is for two reasons, 1 is that it will make the job of turning the engine over on the starter much easier for it and help you not run out of battery power. the other reason is obviously the car wont start up unexpectedly if there is no spark plugs

i may be wrong
Well, I believe we are supposed to either disconnect or remove all the ignition coils since we're going to test all the cylinders, and if we're going to only test one or two, we are supposed to remove the dme relay to prevent ignition.

I'm also given to understand that we should remove the fuel relay or fuse, start the car, and let the engine run for a few seconds until it dies naturally, to ensure that no fuel gets injected into the engine while turning it over for the compression test later.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi all.

Yes, for safety reason, I believe It's best to remove the pump fuse and the fuel pump relay and the motor die naturally from fuel starvation.

I even try to restart to double check no fuel in. After that all ignition coils out and, according to my understand on Bentley, remove all spark plugs.

In this procedure I was co-helped by and old mechanic, almost retired, and every mechanic as is own point of view. The guy insisted on removing all spark plugs. Why not do what he says, just for sympathy?? By the way, he owned a 2002 tii Schnitzer.

Best regards
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsie View Post
Hi all.

Yes, for safety reason, I believe It's best to remove the pump fuse and the fuel pump relay and the motor die naturally from fuel starvation.

I even try to restart to double check no fuel in. After that all ignition coils out and, according to my understand on Bentley, remove all spark plugs.

In this procedure I was co-helped by and old mechanic, almost retired, and every mechanic as is own point of view. The guy insisted on removing all spark plugs. Why not do what he says, just for sympathy?? By the way, he owned a 2002 tii Schnitzer.

Best regards
I don't think it makes a difference if the other spark plugs are there or not there. In fact, I'd be very concerned if it did. Nevertheless, since you're going to test all chambers, you might as well do so.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 AM

Hi,

I agree with you Roberto, I don't really see why, but why not. It's a old man wish!!!

Due to the extremely compression on #5, I'm going to repeat all over again and this time I'll run a "wet" procedure.

I'll post the results, but maybe only next week.

One question? Does Parts Geek suply good stuff??

Best regards
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

#5's compressiong (And #3's for that matter) don't seem to be too off the average. Why are you concerned ? In any case, the wet test will be interesting. However, I do believe there's a technique to interpreting dry compression tests visavis the wet test's results. Please google to confirm.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM

Hi,

please note the graphic not numbered. Graph #1 was with plugs and the non-numbered was without all spark plugs out and within a 10 minutes delay, # 5 from 14 to 4. I tried the test on #6 with the results on first attempt. tried several times on #5 always with that result.

To my understanding, the wet results are more likely to troubleshoot the short-block. But I will google for that.

Thanks for the input

Best regards
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

If I remember correctly, the wet test checks if your piston rings are ok. If the results for a particular chamber are vastly better than the dry test, then its the piston rings for that chamber which are screwed. If the results for a particular chamber are just as bad as the dry test, then one of the valves are busted.