Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Help! iPhone vs iDrive USB

Hi All,

new BMW owner and new to iDrive. When I got the car everything was working great with my iphone 4s plugged into the usb port. However, starting this morning I can't get music to play out of the phone. I hook it up and can browse the music on the phone but when I press play it just doesn't do anything. After a bit it might bounce out of the music pane. I think it has worked since I upgraded to iOS 6 but not sure. I updated my iDrive software to the latest today and that didn't help. I can still do audio via bluetooth but prefer the USB audio solution. How do I reset the connection? Or any other ideas? I have tried to search but don't seem to find others with this problem

Thanks

Dave
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Just to be sure, are you selecting the USB device from iDrive after you plug it in? It could be that you have the wrong multimedia source selected.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Just to be sure, are you selecting the USB device from iDrive after you plug it in? It could be that you have the wrong multimedia source selected.
Yep. I go to external devices and it shows my iphone hooked up in the USB slot. I can browse the playlists, search for artists, see everything. It is just the play that doesn't work. The song shows (not the album art though) but the time never goes past zero.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Software Engineer

Have you tried playing music before you connect it to the USB. I have encountered that issue before with other devices (not the iDrive) and that was my work around. I'm going to try it out in my car again and see if there was another step you're missing.

Just tried mine, it worked with no problems after it auto disabled my bluetooth audio streaming option. Try killing the Music app on your phone from the task bar and then relaunch it, play a track, then plug your phone into the car.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery

Last edited by golovko; 10-21-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Have you tried playing music before you connect it to the USB. I have encountered that issue before with other devices (not the iDrive) and that was my work around. I'm going to try it out in my car again and see if there was another step you're missing.

Just tried mine, it worked with no problems after it auto disabled my bluetooth audio streaming option. Try killing the Music app on your phone from the task bar and then relaunch it, play a track, then plug your phone into the car.
Ok, this is interesting... I played the song in the music app and plugged it in and all was well. Then I changed artists and the iphone reported "the requested URL could not be found." Wonder if it is icloud in the way. Will restart phone and try again.

Thanks for the tip!

Dave
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgavra View Post
Ok, this is interesting... I played the song in the music app and plugged it in and all was well. Then I changed artists and the iphone reported "the requested URL could not be found." Wonder if it is icloud in the way. Will restart phone and try again.

Thanks for the tip!

Dave
I'm not sure how it would work with tracks that are in iCloud that haven't been downloaded locally to your device. All the tracks I have tried successfully I had already downloaded from iCloud and didn't try streaming. If the streaming works that would be fantastic but I have my doubts.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how it would work with tracks that are in iCloud that haven't been downloaded locally to your device. All the tracks I have tried successfully I had already downloaded from iCloud and didn't try streaming. If the streaming works that would be fantastic but I have my doubts.
For those following along... I restored my iPhone and all is working again... No idea what triggered it. I think possibly I deleted some music on the phone to free up space and that got things mixed up..

Cheers

Dave