Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Z3 Noise when Turning

I have a 2000 Z3 70,000 miles, and already went thru the cost of need brakes up front both sides, to try to resolve a noise I been hearing while cornering or parking to the right. Unfortunately, it didn't help the noise, but my mechanic is good and needed brakes at this point anyway. I notice the noise most when moving slow into a parking spot or around a corner, turning right with the brakes applied. I'm thinking something to do with the power steering, but it doesn't happen unless I brake while turning - in other words, if I slow down or brake while going straight to the point where I can safely make the turn w/o braking then there is no noise. Must be brakes - definitely not a brake noise sound and I can still hear it sometimes after I have stopped with the engine running but not as loud. It also changes in sound when the steering wheel is turned back to straight or left.
It's going back to my mechanic soon but thought I should here what this most helpful forum has to say. Thanks to everyone, this is the best tool there is.
Ads by Google
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
something loose in the steering?

may not be related but my car makes a kind of "crunching" noise when i change from fwd to reverse or vice versa. presumably, this is the calipers shifting.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
did you ever find a solution?

oceanbob66, I just bought a 2001 Z3 3.0. It's doing the same thing. Did you find a solution?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Solution Found

Hi YoungMike,

I had been meaning to post what I found but my password went missing, but I'm back on thanks to how easy this forum makes it to recover.

The good news in my case was a simple fix - the power steering fluid was low. On my Z3 2.5 it's easy to check, as with most things, it's right up front. It didn't take much and once it was back up to proper level, all noises stopped no matter how the wheel was turned. I really like those kinds of fixes and don't know why I didn't check it first thing.

My bigger problem is why it went down to begin with, there is a real slow drip under the car, so something is loose or a hose is cracked. It's going to have to go in because I don't have anyway to get under this car.

Hope this helps, let us all know how you make out.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8L roadster
slow drip may be the steering rack - my son and I just went through this - could be a hose or the reservoir, but for us it was the rack itself - is the fluid leaking RED steering fluid? are the reservoir and hoses dry? then you need a new rack - not a difficult swap - Rolf in MA
Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Roadster
@oceanbob66. Thanks for posting a response. My noise was actually just the first signs of needing new front brake pads. They were only grinding a little when I was coming to a stop and starting to turn. I changed those out this past weekend...no problem. However I have noticed a drop or two of what looks to be power steering fluid on my garage floor...next project...