Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I miss my Blackberry bold, it was a functional, classy phone (leather on the back even!) I could use it in Iraq and Kuwait...my iphone is nice though, no complaints there.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Full keyboard? I guess BB has not learned...
that is a "concept phone" and picture concocted by a BB fan.

Last edited by HW; 10-23-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
With literally every phone being a "world phone" these days, BB has little going for itself and consumers have left them in droves. So I'm confused why the keep doing the same thing over and over again. "Slickness" is not what has been lacking. They have made good looking phones the past years. However, they never change their main philosophy! Same OS, same form factor, same features. This phone is going to be just another BB that will not sell, because it is the same BB philosophy wrapped in a newer, shinier wrapper.

Unless they have something different up their sleeve I don't see how this will do any better than their previous models.
isn't apple doing the same thing? same OS and form factor for the last 6 years?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
So true lol.. So if Crackberry comes up with a few new features then it should be equal to the iPhone or Android smartphones. I just think that some of the above concept smartphones look pretty awesome.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
The difference is people are buying Apple iPhones. In fact, they can even release a screwy new version of their OS and people argue that their maps app is the best ever, regardless of how flawed it is. They know what they are doing, though they too will eventually have to change. However, when people flock to stand in lines to buy their latest product, why change a winning formula?

RIM, on the other hand, needs change, not the same things over and over again. Even though this apparently is a concept and who knows if it ever sees the light of day, the fact is, it looks like any other BB. They are not selling, last I checked. So why make another? Even Nokia realized they need to get rid of SymbianOS in order to survive. RIM needs a change of heart too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 10-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: German
RIM just needs to dump BBOS and suck it up and go to Android. Imagine Android with enterprise-grade security.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
RIM just needs to dump BBOS and suck it up and go to Android. Imagine Android with enterprise-grade security.
i would love to see bmw and honda join up and make a rear wheel drive affordable car with great handling characteristics and with made in germany mechanics and made in japan electronics and reliability engineering handled by honda. ......
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Blackberry?

Who???

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I know the specs are "fabulous' but besides the missing scroll button that looks just like my ancient 9700 I use for work.

I know the IPhone looks pretty much the same as the day it came out too, but people like the iphone and millions of people buy it. Blackberry ... not so much.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
If you're competing with the iPad mini based on price, you're telling people to buy the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Apple absolutely left an umbrella beneath the iPad mini's $329 starting price. From the moment they showed off the Google Nexus 7 on stage at the October iPad and Mac event, Apple was making the case that the iPad mini was worth more than smaller, cheaper competing tablets. Apple was arguing premium over discount, value over cost. It's the same argument Apple made against low-margin netbooks when they released the MacBook Air. And it's an argument that leaves Apple as wide open to competitors playing the "cheaper" card now as it did then.

Competitors can -- and already are -- claiming that they offer more for less with their products than Apple does with the iPad mini. Even if the argument is severely contorted, it can be compelling. For many buyers, price matters, and for some it matters the most. For some, price outweighs any other consideration.

That's the problem with it. If you compete based primarily on price, you can be competed against primarily on price. If you claim to be cheaper, but you're not the cheapest, you're going to reap what you've sown.

So while the iPad mini is indeed more expensive than the Google Nexus 7 or Amazon Kindle Fire HD, neither of them are the cheapest small form factor on the market, not even from a major mobile player.

The BlackBerry PlayBook is.

Sure, the BlackBerry PlayBook isn't the latest hardware anymore -- it's closer to the original Kindle Fire in specs than the Nexus 7 or any of this year's Kindle Fires -- but it's scheduled to be updated to BB10 in 2013 and that looks to be a much more functional tablet experience than what Amazon offers, and something that could rival Android for not-Apple in not-Apple lovers' hearts. Even the PlayBook as it stands today is arguably a better pure tablet experience than either the more-properly-defined-as-a-media-appliance Kindle Fire, or the "blown up smartphone" interface elements that still plague the Nexus 7.

And if you look around, you can find the Wi-Fi only version of the BlackBerry PlayBook on sale for only $150.

Sure, there are a lot of advantages to the Kindle Fire HD, especially if you're all in on Amazon and live in the U.S.. Absolutely, the Nexus 7 is the clear winner if you're a heavy Google user and want Android on your tablet.

But if you're arguing something other than value, if you're complaining that the iPad mini is way too expensive for a small tablet, if all you care about is the lowest cost, legitimate device possible, whether you're Amazon, Google, or anyone else -- right now you're arguing for the BlackBerry PlayBook.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-mini-black...playbook-price

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 PM

RIM will begin selling its first BlackBerry 10 smartphones on multiple continents within a few days of the company’s January 30th launch event, says COO Kristian Tear. “We want to do it as quickly as possible,” said Tear.

Some analysts had been expecting a March debut. Details are still pending on which carriers will initially support the phones, and if any will have exclusivity deals. The rumored L-Series will be among the first devices, followed with the N-Series.

RIM announced that it will hold its BlackBerry® 10 launch event on January 30th, 2013. The event will happen simultaneously in multiple countries around the world. This day will mark the official launch of its new platform – BlackBerry 10, as well as the unveiling of the first two BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Details on the smartphones and their availability will be announced at the event.

“In building BlackBerry 10, we set out to create a truly unique mobile computing experience that constantly adapts to your needs. Our team has been working tirelessly to bring our customers innovative features combined with a best in class browser, a rich application ecosystem, and cutting-edge multimedia capabilities. All of this will be integrated into a user experience – the BlackBerry Flow – that is unlike any smartphone on the market today,” said Thorsten Heins, President and CEO of Research In Motion. “Thanks to our strong partnerships with global carriers and a growing ecosystem of developers, we believe our customers will have the best experience possible with BlackBerry 10. We are looking forward to getting BlackBerry 10 in the hands of our customers around the world.”

BlackBerry 10 will offer a large catalog of the leading applications from across the globe and across all categories, including Games, Productivity, Social, Lifestyle and Leisure, Multimedia and Published Content, as well as applications designed for business and enterprise use.

The BlackBerry® 10 platform has recently achieved FIPS 140-2 certification, which means that government agencies will be able to deploy BlackBerry 10 smartphones and BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 as soon as it is available. This marks the first time BlackBerry products have been certified ahead of their launch. In addition, RIM recently announced that BlackBerry 10 smartphones have now entered more than 50 carrier labs with many more entries expected in the coming weeks.

Some key features of the new BlackBerry 10 devices already unveiled recently include:

BlackBerry Flow and BlackBerry Hub
BlackBerry® Flow is a new user experience that allows seamless navigation across open applications and the BlackBerry® Hub. All messages, notifications, feeds, and calendar events come into the BlackBerry Hub and no matter what the user is doing with the device, with a simple gesture, they can peek into the Hub at any time.

BlackBerry Keyboard
The BlackBerry Keyboard learns how you write and adapts to how you type so you can write faster and more accurately, giving you the kind of legendary typing experience that only BlackBerry can deliver.

BlackBerry Balance
BlackBerry® Balance™ offers the most elegant way to satisfy both customer and corporate needs without compromising on either. With BlackBerry Balance, personal apps and information are kept separate from work data, and the customer can switch from their personal to work profile with a simple gesture. The work profile is fully encrypted and secure, enabling organizations to protect their content and applications, while at the same time letting customers get the most out of their smartphone for their personal use.

http://us.blackberry.com/campaigns/blackberry-10.html

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-releas...ch-event-held/

Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...s-to-1-6-.html

Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM) fell the most since June after the BlackBerry’s U.S. market share shrank to 1.6 percent, hurt by Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone winning more customers.
The stock dropped 11 percent to $10.72 at the close in New York, the biggest decline since June 29. While the shares have rallied more than 35 percent in November, they are still down 26 percent this year.

The device’s market share fell 6.9 percentage points over the 12-week period ended Oct. 28 from a year earlier, Kantar Worldpanel ComTech said today in a report. The iPhone’s share more than doubled to 48 percent, fueled by the debut of a new model.
RIM had been climbing this month amid growing optimism that the company’s BlackBerry 10 smartphones will be successful. The new lineup, due early next year, is the linchpin of RIM’s plan to challenge the iPhone and Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Android operating system in a market that it once led.

RIM was hurt as more customers dumped their BlackBerrys and switched to the iPhone 5, adding to the ranks of previous Apple customers who also upgraded to the latest model, said Dominic Sunnebo, a Kantar analyst.

“Apple has always managed to maintain loyalty levels far above the competition,” he said.
RIM has said the BlackBerry 10 models will go on sale in February on multiple continents and are currently being tested by more than 50 carriers. That has triggered at least three upgrades from analysts. Until the debut, sales are set to struggle as BlackBerry faithful hold off on upgrading to await the newer models.

Sales probably fell 49 percent last quarter to $2.65 billion, according to the average analyst estimate in a Bloomberg survey. RIM reports earnings on Dec. 20.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1

The new BackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 update (WiFi tablet) brings support for portrait view in messages, calendar, and contacts app.

Additionally, users can now send text messages via BlackBerry Bridge straight from the PlayBook. In the new update, you can even “print” documents from a PC to a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet using the Print To Go app even if the PC and tablet are connected to different networks.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-playbook-...ck-look-video/

Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
RIM will begin selling its first BlackBerry 10 smartphones on multiple continents within a few days of the company’s January 30th launch event, says COO Kristian Tear. “We want to do it as quickly as possible,” said Tear.
I wonder why.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 PM

BlackBerry vs. Apple Case Study

“I can’t wait for BB10. Apple does not even allow telephone companies to back up their information unless they use an app. I was a Blackberry user for 10 years and never lost a contact. I switched to iPhone.

A month ago when we had to do the upgrade, Apple lost 90% of my contacts. I thought Oh, no problem I have them all saved on the cloud!!! Guess what?? Even though they were supposed to be saved there, there was not one contact saved on iCloud. I thought oh… no problem Verizon should have them saved! My last ugly truth came out, Verizon told me that Apple does not allow phone companies to save their client’s contacts.

It took me 26 years to collect those contacts for my business and it took apple one day to lose them all. I cannot wait for BB10. You analysts could trash RIMM all day long, but as a consumer, who relies on my phone for business, I would never buy another iPhone.”

Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM

The salvos from each side have been firing back and forth for a couple of weeks now over Research In Motion (RIMM). Longs vs. shorts, analyst vs. analyst. It's hard to know who and what to believe when you see how twisted the facts become from one side to the next.

The Argument
RIM can't survive. The market has left it behind, and it's a case of too little, too late. Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) Android have the market sewn up and will continue to do so -- forever.

Not So Fast
1. RIM has a loyal base of over 80 million subscribers, with a large chunk of those patiently awaiting an upgrade to the new BB10 OS. This is a point that cannot be discounted. A player like Microsoft (MSFT)/Nokia (NOK) entering the segment with the new WP8 has an uphill battle in that it has to steal market share in order to be a relevant player. RIM is already in third position and just needs to build up from there. Remember that RIM was able to add users quarter after quarter without having a competitive phone on the market for the last two years.

2. The smartphone market took 15 years to sell the first 1 billion phones and analysts predict it will sell the next 1 billion in the next three years. This means there is plenty of room to grow. RIM is well positioned in "rest of world" countries, which is where a large portion of this growth will come from.

3. RIM has carrier support. This is huge for it to be successful. Carriers have expressed a positive view of BB10 and have stated clearly they need a viable third player to offset the current duopoly of iOS and Android. This fact cannot be discounted as carriers play an important role in getting these devices moving off the shelves.

4. RIM has solved the problems that drove it into the ground in the first place. A lack of apps that led to customers leaving in droves for a better ecosystem has now been clearly addressed. RIM has worked hard to foster app developer community support and continues to do so, ensuring it will launch with well over 100,000 apps. RIM announced an alliance with Appcelerator's 390,00 strong developer community to port and develop apps for BB10.

5. RIM has a new OS that has been received well by analysts, carriers, and developers and will roll out to consumers on Jan. 30, 2013. Former bearish analyst Peter Misek clearly stated that he and his Fairfax Financial group had intensively reviewed the BB10 dev alpha and beta devices and noted them "better than Android" and at least on par with iOS.

6. Last, RIM has the cash to launch this thing. It has 2.3 billion in cash on hand for marketing and launching BB10. Analyst Steven Li has stated RIM needs to only sell 18 million BB10 units to break even. Between channel fill and initial upgrades from the subscriber base, it is clear that RIM can accomplish this.

When RIM Wins, Who Loses?
With RIM having nothing left to lose to Android and iOS, anything it sells outside of the current subscriber base is eating away at their market share. So who will lose when RIM starts taking back market share? To some extent they both will; however, one stands to lose a lot more than the other.

Apple has a very loyal customer base. This base surrounds itself with all offerings Apple (iPads, iPods, MacBooks, and, of course, iPhones). These users will upgrade to the next level of phone with even the smallest of changes (case in point -- iPhone 5). Apple is really not worried about RIM -- at least in the short term.

Android, on the other hand, is a totally different animal. RIM's user base was eroded heavily by Android. Android now stands as the giant of the segment with upward of 80% of the market locked up. Android has several weak points that RIM will exploit.

1. Android is just an OS. The market share it has accumulated has been by offering a cheap OS to the likes of Samsung and HTC. RIM, on the other hand, is vertically integrated with its own OS, network, and hardware. RIM has already alluded to the fact that deals with the likes of Samsung will be on the table after BB10 launches. These phone makers have a vested interest in licensing BB10 as a hedge against Google waking up one day and deciding it will vertically integrate and no longer license to them. No OS, no phone sales. By aligning with a Samsung or HTC, RIM can quickly gain in market share (albeit at a lower margin) if it chooses to do so. It's a win/win.

2. Android is a security nightmare. It is the most malware-ridden OS on the market. This will be a factor in the next phase of mobile computing where phones do more and more financial transactions. Security breaches will not be tolerated. RIM has the most secure OS on the market, and the fact BB10 has been FIPS 140-2 approved ahead of launch is sign that RIM is still the leader in this area.

3. Samsung has some very good reasons to deal with RIM. The QNX software that is embedded in everything from cars, Cisco routers, robots, and appliances would be a good fit in Samsung's other divisions, such as home appliances and home electronics. Coupled with the BB10 QNX-based OS, there are several opportunities to push the smartphone into areas of home automation.

Summary
There is clearly room for a solid third OS in the market. RIM in the short term will retain that third position with the launch of BB10. Once established and no longer in a death spiral, the company can focus its efforts and innovations to slowly begin to target areas for rapid growth. A licensing deal will accelerate that growth.

The new CEO and his team have some plans to push the smartphone into new frontiers. However, in the short term, all hands are on deck to focus on delivering BB10 to market. Although much about BB10 has already been slowly revealed, I'm pretty sure Thorsten Heins has a few tricks up his sleeve for the January 2013 release date.

It's easy to kick this stock around as it's past performance and fall from grace has been a case study in mismanagement. Taking a clear look at the current facts and taking into account the last six months of the new management team's performance, I think it is fair to say that things have changed at RIM for the better.

I, for one, think it's a great investment at current prices and that the longs will be rewarded.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1037...wins-who-loses

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bus...woes-misek.cnn

Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:

“I can’t wait for BB10. Apple does not even allow telephone companies to back up their information unless they use an app. I was a Blackberry user for 10 years and never lost a contact. I switched to iPhone.

A month ago when we had to do the upgrade, Apple lost 90% of my contacts. I thought Oh, no problem I have them all saved on the cloud!!! Guess what?? Even though they were supposed to be saved there, there was not one contact saved on iCloud. I thought oh… no problem Verizon should have them saved! My last ugly truth came out, Verizon told me that Apple does not allow phone companies to save their client’s contacts.

It took me 26 years to collect those contacts for my business and it took apple one day to lose them all. I cannot wait for BB10. You analysts could trash RIMM all day long, but as a consumer, who relies on my phone for business, I would never buy another iPhone.”

If you sync your contacts with an Apple computer you should not lose anything.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

then one should be bundled in with an iphone
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
If you want to slam "Apple", at least use an example of something that's unique to Apple. All platforms can hose your data and leave you SOL if you've not verified your backup strategy.

I've had a BB hose my contacts when syncing to Outlook back in the day. I restored them from my backup. This guy was a moron: twenty six years of contacts and he *only* has them on his phone? He assumed they were being saved to iCloud but didn't verify? He expected the phone company to save his contacts but didn't ever check that they really did so? Seriously?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM

BlackBerry 10's most powerful allies: iPhone-hating Carriers

In late July, when AT&T reported its Q2 numbers, Forbes ran a headline that might have seemed curious to the casual observer.

"AT&T Profit Beats Street, No New iPhone Means Improved Wireless Margins"

The story explained that the telco giant's net income, which at $3.9 billion or $.66 cents a share, exceeded analysts estimates of $.63 cents, was higher because AT&T subsidizes the sales of iPhone by making payments to Apple. "The more new iPhones AT&T sells," explained writer Abram Brown, "….the more harm done to its margins."

Over at AT&T competitor Verizon there's a similar story on bottom line. Verizon's EBITDA margin in 2010, before it began to sell the iPhone, was 46.4%. That number dropped to nearly 42%, before rebounding recently to 49% because the company, like AT&T, was selling fewer iPhones in advance of the iPhone 5 launch this fall.

And Sprint is the most highly levered to Apple of all; signing a $20-billion dollar deal to buy about thirty million iPhones over the next four years, which means it will subsidize the cost of each device by as much as $500. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse reportedly told the company's board it would lose money on the deal until 2014.

Apple is using the remarkable consumer demand for the iPhone to carve out sweetheart deals with carriers. It's own financial reports reveal that the average price it receives for an iPhone is $660. Carriers, of course, subsidize the cost of an iPhone because consumers want it, and they will sign lucrative long term contracts to get one. The difference is largely made up on data plans.

But the relationship is contentious, and is growing more so, according to experts. Apple is like a big bully.

"A logical conclusion is that the iPhone is not good for wireless carriers," Nomura Securities analyst Mike McCormack told CNN Money writer David Goldman recently, "When we look at the direct and indirect economics that Apple has managed to extract from the carriers, the carrier-level value destruction is quite evident."

In her assessment, Yankee Group analyst Katie Lewis is even more plain:

"Mobile operators are sick of taking orders from Apple….iPhones are occupying an increasingly dangerous share of mobile operators' smartphone sales. In 2011, iPhones represented half of AT&T's smartphone sales, and now that Verizon has recently voiced a similar shift in sales, the companies' fears of an Apple takeover are growing stronger."

Enter the beleaguered, beaten down BlackBerry. Could the timing of RIM's new BlackBerry 10 phones actually be an important factor in its success? While no one expects the BlackBerry 10 handsets to outsell the iPhone 5, the devices could potentially be a body shot in a battle plan designed to bring the balance of power between carriers and Apple back in line.

In Q1, 2012 AT&T sold 5.5 million smartphones, 78% of which were iPhones. Are they happy with this? Some say the answer is a resounding "No". Earlier this month, the website BGR ran a story that said multiple sources had reported that AT&T retail staff had been ordered to sell "anything but the iPhone" and that they themselves were no longer allowed to use iPhones as their company-owned device. Around the time the story was being denied by AT&T, CNN was reporting that Verizon was doing the same thing.

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins is currently on the road with him two beta versions of BlackBerry 10 smartphones, one is a touch device similar in appearance to the iPhone. The other, which will be released soon after, has both a physical QWERTY keyboard and a touchscreen. Heins is looking to convince carriers to support the devices, which will ultimately total six.

"The carriers want us to keep that installed base [of BlackBerry users]," Heins told the Wall Street Journal recently. Early indications are that the BB10 will be given a fighting, front-of-the-store chance.

One unnamed wireless network exec told the paper that BlackBerry 10 is "marked improvement" over previous BlackBerry devices, and that he is confident of their market viability.

In May, rumours emerged that T-Mobile would carry BlackBerry 10 devices. And AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said recently: "We value our relationship with RIM and look forward to working with them on existing and new products." As for Verizon, CrackBerry.com's Kevin Michaluk is reporting that it too will back BlackBerry 10. Sprint is predictably cagey. A spokesman for the company said the carrier doesn't think BlackBerry will return to its former glory, but that he wouldn't count RIM out.

http://www.cantechletter.com/2012/08...ting-carriers/

Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM

^ How shocking? popular phone has highest price and subsidies

BB has to offer their phone for cheap, or they don't stand a chance
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

You don't to use an apple computer. iCloud does it automatically or iTunes does it (you have to check the option in sync options). It will even sync with your google account.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM

We're just over eight weeks away from the BlackBerry 10 launch event on January 30th, 2013 and the excitement in our developer community is continuing to grow. Our final developer milestone is the gold release of our BlackBerry 10 SDKs on Tuesday, December 11th.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...-happening-nyc

Silicon Valley

We are holding a BlackBerry 10 Gold SDK Tweetup at Plug and Play Tech Center - Sunnyvale in Sunnyvale, CA on December 11th and we'd like to you to join us for a few drinks, apps, and appetizers.

Kyle Fowler, Developer at foursquare will be on hand to discuss building the native version of foursquare for BlackBerry 10 using Cascades.

Plug and Play Tech Center - Sunnyvale
440 N Wolfe Rd, Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Tuesday, 11 December 2012
7:30 PM to 9:30 PM

NYC

We are holding a BlackBerry 10 Gold SDK Tweetup at Stitch Bar & Lounge in New York on December 11th and we'd like to you to join us for a few drinks, apps, and appetizers.

Greg Avola, CTO, Co-Founder, Developer at Untappd will be on hand to talk about PhoneGap development with BlackBerry 10 and bringing Untappd to the platform.

Stitch Bar & Lounge
247 W 37th St, New York, NY 10018
Tuesday, 11 December 2012
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM

BlackBerry vs. iPhone

• It has the BEST physical keyboard (PKB) available on a smartphone.

• AutoText / Word Substitution, it saves keystrokes, and it allows for a wide arrange of usages.

• LED & Sound profiles. Anyone who has owned a BlackBerry knows the additive nature of the LED.

• Email control! With BlackBerry one can delete emails "On Mailbox & Handheld" OR "On Handheld", This is such a little thing, but it means so much.

• Dialing phone numbers from websites/emails. Yes I know iPhone and Android can do that too, kinda. BlackBerry actually does it fully, if you see a link 555-555-5555 ext 555 BlackBerry will call 555-555-5555 pause then add 555 as the extension. iOS and Android just assume they read the number wrong and dial 555-555-5555 you are required to manually enter the extension, OR add said phone number to your address book for it to auto-dial, this little thing goes a long way in my business.

• Keyboard Short cuts. As a PKB user if you haven't taken the time to learn the Keyboard shortcuts available to you, keep returning to N4BB, there will be many Blog posts to help you maximize the usage of these powerful time savers.

• Swappable Batteries; Yes other manufacturers offer them too, and I would not really have considered this a feature if I didn't also have an iPhone, not having a swappable battery available makes me realize how important it is that BlackBerry chooses to be functional first.

• Data Compression! My BIS enabled BlackBerry with 6 email addresses including my work address and over 100 BBM contacts uses less data in 3 days when I travel than my iPhone does in a single day with only 1 email address. Paying $1/MB of data while traveling, BlackBerry has saved me money. BlackBerry does not require me to restrict my usage, I don't have to over pay for my data for fear my device will use too much.

• TrackPad. A single point for my thumb to rest and give me access to my entire screen, perfect fine detailed access for highlighting text, selecting items, going to action! You always are pressing the same location with your thumb, never making your screen smudgy or oily, never covering vital information as you reach your hand across the screen, the trackpad makes using a BlackBerry's smaller screen enjoyable. It maximizes the available real estate.

Of course this list wouldn't be complete without BBM. My social circle is comprised primarily of BlackBerry People. My best friends and family are all there at the tip of my finders in a wonderful little social network sharing pictures, voice notes, files, and videos. With BBM Music we can find and share music comment on each other's selections and have fun finding new music. BlackBerry Messenger is more than just an Instant messenger with delivered and read notifications.

BBM is a way to really feel like you're a part of each other's lives, creating groups and multi-user chats to plan things and be social, using status updates to let people know what you are feeling, or doing, and giving that little reminder to reach out and say hey.

It is all of these reasons, and many other small ones that can be taken for granted as to why I choose BlackBerry and I believe in RIM.

Last edited by MCSL; 12-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Closed Thread