Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 528 xi
New 528xi owner

Hey Guys,

I just recently upgraded from my 2005 Acura TL to a 2008 528xi over the weekend. I loved mY Acura, but the thing was falling apart after 6 years of use (I bought it when I was 18 and had my "ricer" days, but those days are over) ... Basically 4k it needed in repairs and warranty was done, My Acura Dealer bought the car for 12k and they absorbed the 4k in repairs and I was able to get into my Bimmer which has 42k miles and 3 years extended warranty for $26k... I dont feel like it was a bad deal especially since the car seems to have TONS of features that my Acura didnt have. So far I LOVE this car and I was able to get my first BMW before the age 25 which I made a personal goal a long time ago, so I am very happy to be a BMW owner...

So I have been looking around the forum and I dont see alot of 528xi owners, but alot of 535 and 550 owners. I know the 528 is not much of a speedster, but its ok since I love to just cruise around the city, not into racing or anything, so I am just about the asthetics and the Luxury inside the car...

Does anyone know any pro's and cons about the 5 series? more specifically the 08 528xi version? any input would be appreciated thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Other than the obvious con of being lower on HP vs. the 535 & 550, it's all good with the 528. Reliable engine, less stress on tranny, proven AWD system on your xi, and (potentially) all the luxury of the other models if well optioned.

What options are on your car? My 535 is missing Logic7 audio and the Adaptive Cruise Control, but is loaded with everything else.

BTW, congrats on your first BMW!

Last edited by SoLucky; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2 BMWs, MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post
Other than the obvious con of being lower on HP vs. the 535 & 550, it's all good with the 528. Reliable engine, less stress on tranny, proven AWD system on your xi, and (potentially) all the luxury of the other models if well optioned.

What options are on your car? My 535 is missing Logic7 audio and the Adaptive Cruise Control, but is loaded with everything else.

I completely agree with this post. The AWD system may require more attention as the car ages but that's all I have to add.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 528xi
I too just bought my 2009 528xi with about same mileage.

Love mine too.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 528ix sedan
528ix

I bought CO 2009 528ix back in April with 27K. I love the car. Althought not as hot as the 535 or 550, it's a great highway cruiser, getting 30+ MPG. My only glitch so far was the transmission replacement...the tranny threw some codes and I let my SA know, they took it in, and replaced the entire trans. Runs great now. Welcome to the BMW club.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post

Thanks for the input, yeah I kno the 528xi has considerably less HP, but just having a BMW feels pretty great. I have it fully loaded, including the Adaptive Cruise Control and Logic7 audio, I'm loving the winter package with the ass warmers... this car is amazing, I think asthetically I can make it look like a 550 or M5 with the Mtech Body kit, I'll probably wont get a quad exhuast but who knows. Right now I am cloud 9 with this baby. its Jet Black with Camel colored interior. good to know that this model is reliable

my First mode with be to get some bright white or Blue bulbs for my "angel eyes", next will be some HRE P40 wheels, sitting on some sort of suspension, I cant decide right now, but thanks guys
Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniek View Post
I bought CO 2009 528ix back in April with 27K. I love the car. Althought not as hot as the 535 or 550, it's a great highway cruiser, getting 30+ MPG. My only glitch so far was the transmission replacement...the tranny threw some codes and I let my SA know, they took it in, and replaced the entire trans. Runs great now. Welcome to the BMW club.
I think besides the engine, I believe that the 528 can look as good as the 550 and M5 by replacing the Front/rear bumpers and side skirts unless I'm wrong. and the inside would just need to replace some of the panels... I have the "wood" trim, which look AWESOME but I wouldnt mind going for the M5 look
Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528ix sedan
No modifications

I have no intention of modifying my 528ix in any way...if I wanted a 535 or 550 I would have bought one. If I wanted an M5, I would have bought one. I don't believe in modifying these cars.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 528xi
Quote:
I have no intention of modifying my 528ix in any way...if I wanted a 535 or 550 I would have bought one. If I wanted an M5, I would have bought one. I don't believe in modifying these cars.
I kinda agree except the option to program more features and keep an eye on the cars electrical system is about all I plan on doing.

I kept my last car till 175,000 miles. I have 130,000 to go!

Longevity is my goal.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Wink That's half the fun of owning a bimmer!

Quote:
I hear you, but the longer you participate on this board, the more itchy you'll be to do something.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
Love my 528xi! I have added wheels/tires, angel eyes, xenons, LEDs all around inside and rear license plate. I want to lower but I hear lots of cons to do so?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
To the OP: Good luck with the car. The 528 is not the fastest, but it is by far the most reliable out of the bunch! My advice: Don't mess around with the suspension or you'll be sorry.

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaBeemer View Post
Hey Guys,

I just recently upgraded from my 2005 Acura TL to a 2008 528xi over the weekend. I loved mY Acura, but the thing was falling apart after 6 years of use (I bought it when I was 18 and had my "ricer" days, but those days are over) ... Basically 4k it needed in repairs and warranty was done, My Acura Dealer bought the car for 12k and they absorbed the 4k in repairs and I was able to get into my Bimmer which has 42k miles and 3 years extended warranty for $26k... I dont feel like it was a bad deal especially since the car seems to have TONS of features that my Acura didnt have. So far I LOVE this car and I was able to get my first BMW before the age 25 which I made a personal goal a long time ago, so I am very happy to be a BMW owner...

So I have been looking around the forum and I dont see alot of 528xi owners, but alot of 535 and 550 owners. I know the 528 is not much of a speedster, but its ok since I love to just cruise around the city, not into racing or anything, so I am just about the asthetics and the Luxury inside the car...

Does anyone know any pro's and cons about the 5 series? more specifically the 08 528xi version? any input would be appreciated thanks
Holy crap!! your story is like almost IDENTICAL to mines!! I too have came from an 05 Acura TL in which I traded in to my 04 545i at my local BMW dealer! also had my TL for the longest time but I finally realized that I wanted to German and with RWD as opposed to FWD in all my vehicles before.... and the other thing too is that I just turned 25 not too long ago as well!! its like for some strange spooky reason, we are somehow twins that thought alike and had the same upgrade path LOL ... but yeah, welcome and congrats on your BMW, I am sure you will love it, as I am absolutely LOVING mines! blows my TL straight out of the water and my TL was no slouch ether
Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
I hear you, but the longer you participate on this board, the more itchy you'll be to do something.
"The lie detector test determined you're telling the truth!"
Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM

Mein Auto: '06 525Xi
It's not really your until you modify it ....

No complaints, after about a year of ownership of a 525Xi, I'm just enjoying the ride. - from a fellow Bostonian with an identical color scheme! Oh by the way, you guys can all thank me for last years lack of snowfall in MA. as this is my 1st AWD vehicle. Hopefully Boricua can return the favor this year!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
I just bought a 2008 550i .. coming from a highly modified Subaru. I said to myself I will NOT mod this car lol. Well maybe a little. Lol . Already painted the front grill and the 550i black and put on some LED angel eyes.. next is tint and front/rear bumper diffusers in CF.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjkev16 View Post
Holy crap!! your story is like almost IDENTICAL to mines!! I too have came from an 05 Acura TL in which I traded in to my 04 545i at my local BMW dealer! also had my TL for the longest time but I finally realized that I wanted to German and with RWD as opposed to FWD in all my vehicles before.... and the other thing too is that I just turned 25 not too long ago as well!! its like for some strange spooky reason, we are somehow twins that thought alike and had the same upgrade path LOL ... but yeah, welcome and congrats on your BMW, I am sure you will love it, as I am absolutely LOVING mines! blows my TL straight out of the water and my TL was no slouch ether
lol Thats pretty crazy, but yeah when I first got my Acura, I was in love but now that I'm grown and i have a profession, I wanted to upgrade anyway.

IMO girls cant tell a 528 from an M5 even if you showed them the trunk ALL they see is BMW lol well I'm not saying all girls but alot of them... I'm loving my Beemer either way, its a HUG change from an Acura, its a head turner. I'm not gonna mod it like crazy, just some nice Rims, HID kit, Mtech Bumpers, bright white angel eyes and some tints... thats about it, then it will become a certified panty dropper... my only problem is, Boston roads SUCK!! Boston is atleast one of the top 10 richest citys in US but we cant fill a ****ing 3 year old POT hole GOD DAYUM...
Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM

This is my baby stock right now

hopefully by next summer it will be lookin slick

Last edited by BoricuaBeemer; 10-23-2012 at 07:02 AM.