Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpfull?
Problem solved! 0 0%
Still broken 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
Lightbulb Self Level Suspension Inac mystery FIXED!

Let me start by saying I own a couple of used cars lots w/repair shops and have some experiance solving some of X5's little demons. I know that there are people having strange problems with their " Self Level Suspension Inac " warning light comming on from time to time.. Most people drive themselves crazy at the Dealer or repair shop trying to have if fixed to just have it come back on 2 days later. Well I have a possible solution that will cause this and is a " Do it yourself fix" without any cost for parts or expensive experts.. First let me get a couple of things out of the way..

1) If your X5 is hissing or leaking air... You need new air shocks.. They are cheap and easy to install. Here is where I have bought them and it worked out great.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...21_pid162.html

2) If your X5 is hissing and you keep driving it you will overwork and kill your pump that pumps air into your air shocks. If its leaking then fix it right away.

3)You could have a blown fuse in the rear compartment, but it probally blew for a reason. If this happened to you its probally not the end of your problem...

I had a 2002 X5 4.4 that had an airshock blow. They are made of rubber similar to tires and will dryrot and get cracks. This eventually causes a leak. I replaced both of them (you can't do just one.. dont even try it or your asking for it). When you blow a shock your X5 will drop down and this is what creates the problem. The level sensor itself is attached to the body and has a rotating arm that is attached to another arm that attaches to your suspension (Trying to keep things in laymens terms). These arms rotate on what I like to call a nipple. This allows the joints comming from the sensor arm and the one attached to the suspension to move freely. Over time these become stiff and freeze in place. In My situation when the air shock blew and dropped down this caused my joints to freeze up at different heights on both sides. This promted a bad reading and caused the "Self level suspension" light to turn on. Alot of people would have replaced the sensors thinking that they had malfunctioned. I promise you that most shops wouldn't have noticed this until replaceing the parts and would never tell you that this was the problem...Not the sensors.

The first step in this simple fix is:

1) Remove rear tire.

2) Locate sensor next to air shock

3) Use 2 10mm wrenches to remove arm (# 4-10 in picture below) that attaches sensor arm to suspension

4) Once removed carefully pry nipple joint from arm ( It will snap out )

5) Clean and grease nipple and inner joint (I like to use Permatex Disc Brake Caliper Lube), but any axle type grease will do.

6) Snap nipple back onto joint and reinstall. Make sure Nipples face toward the rear of the X5 and arms are pointing towards the wheels on compleation.

7) Rinse and repeat for other side.

8) Remember that you need to go for a ride in order for the system to reset. About 2 miles should do the trick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ride%20height.png
Views:	1432
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	299155
This is an exploded view of your ride level sensors for both sides

I Hope this helps some of you solve your problem and saves you some cash!
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Question

So it will self calibrate? I thought a shop had to do that? If I don't have to take this to a shop and can do 100% on my own that would be ideal........
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.6is
self level sups inact after new rear upper control arms

i had to replace the rear upper control arms because they were squeaking like an old pram. i bought them from taiwan for $100 and they fixed problem well. then the dreaded self level susp inapt error was coming up every time i started the car. i previously would get this error occasionally, especially after parking on a steep incline, but it would clear after turning car on/off. and the car always sits fine, the rear isn't raised or dropped, so i knew it was an issue with just the sensor, not the actual SLS. i thought this time the sensor was blown, or a fuse, or my mechanic bumped the sensor when installing the rear upper control arms. after reading this thread, we took the rear wheels off to find that the sensor nipple arms were pointing the wrong way on the rear right. the thread mentions to make sure the nipples face the rear and the folding arms point the wheel. the folding arms were pointing away from the wheel. this must have happened when the mechanic dropped the suspension to get at the upper control arms and the folding arms dropped down, then when he raised the suspension back, the arms folded the wrong way. we unscrewed the nipple and folded the arms to point toward the wheel, and screwed it back together. after a few kilometers the SLS inapt error disappeared . Then on restarting the car, the error was gone for good.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
I got the same message and couldnt figure it out then I accidently while looking for a fuse that was out found that the fuse was blown. new fuse and I was back in the running