Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMWX5
2004 X5 Radio Display Lights Not Working Properly

Hello Fellow Members:
Can anyone help find solution to my problem. The light on the "radio display" where it shows time, clock settings, etc. is not working properly. It's partially lit up so I cannot read it. Please help.

Thanks,
Junedep
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
I have the same problem cant use my GPS cant read my screen. Anyone contact u?>
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Here is a Solution:

- German Auto Tech -

I once had the same issue on my Stereo MID unit, experiencing the typical Pixel Loss problems. After doing some research, I found the parts on eBay to repair and replace the (Crystal) pixel display only, when I found this guy who does professional BMW MID repair. His front page describes in detail how to easily remove your unit etc. For less then or around $200 your unit is completed and returned. Beats trying to find a new one from the dealer for 1K or so or a Used one that you don't know how it will fully function.

I removed my unit, sent it out and he Repaired/Replaced it with the same Model of Unit if in stock for quick turn around time. FYI: ( I even marked my unit in several places inside & out before I sent it, and I got the same one back) all for curiosity sake.

REMOVING YOUR UNIT:
Simply pull off the Multi-Information Display's rubber volume knob
Look at 6o'clock. Use a (2mm Allen Key) or (T9 Torx) to turn screw 1/4 counter-clockwise. Just enough for the unit to release the latch. It will come right out! Requires ~1 minute.

I did remove my unit and disassembled it to see if I could make my repair without having yet purchased a replacement display with ribbon cable. However, for the price of purchasing parts...waiting in the mail... time of removal and install... It seemed more efficient to pull the unit and ship it out. Once he gets the unit, he ships another back to you. I was without a radio for about 7 days give or take.

You can Remove/Replace the MID display and find replacements on eBay, However, removal and replacement of the ribbon cable to the display can be a tedious job once you get the display itself out of the housing. replacing the ribbon cable needs some patience and precision with the small pins to stick to from the ribbon cable itself.

I was really impressed and now I have a full display unit.

* I was very hesitant of sending my unit out, as well as wondering the professionalism of the work being performed and the over all quality of the replacement unit... But after talking to him on the phone and asking numerous questions, and the return of my unit.... I was Highly Impressed.

* If using eBay for German Auto Tech, Make sure you get your proper model # off of your MID stereo unit. This may help in your search.

This link is an example to reach him only as this model and type may not be yours. He has many on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MULTI-IN...832d97&vxp=mtr

Best of Luck!!!

~Mud~

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 10-23-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Benny224.... He also does some GPS work after I called him. Not knowing what type of unit your GPS is, you may want to call for better details.

Cheers!

~ Mud ~