Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
!!! SILVER SURFER !!!

Mein Auto: 01 530i
Exclamation 4.4 x5 navi /dsp UPGRADE

did my homework ! on this factory navi with dsp bulls***.. im into loud systems and fancy headunits
so im installing my pioneer 8400 double din tv.
purchased the double din kit off ebay. $30 with the new style flat pinned harness
*mind you 01 x5 has the old style round pin harness

with the help of google i found a site
they sell a harness that takes your old round pin harness and converts it at the other end to the flat pinned harness. *saves your a hassle since there is no harness for the x5 with the dsp system

upfront the navi is just for display the actual radio of the x5 is near the spare tire in the rear; meaning you have to unplug the radio and from that harness run about 12 feet of wires from the rear to the front 8 for the speakers 1 for power 1 for ground 1 for remote and 1 for the antenna

to top it all off . im removing that side bracket that holds the navi cd rom and the 6 disc changer and ill install a nice small 4 channel amp in there

seems like a hassle but pretty much straight forward if your handy with electronics

below are pics of the harnesses
picture on the left is the harness for 175$ that converts the old to new harness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-8-04015.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	342428   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-radio-connector.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	342429  

Last edited by RNDx5; 09-18-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
RNDX5,
Can you share in more detail what you did? I am thinking of replacing the in-dash head unit (control-panel) with after market navi.. but keep the DSP AMP. I wonder if the output of the after market navi can be fed to the harness after unplugging from the radio module. And then connect the "on" white wire athe DSP amp to the head unit. I'm getting conflicting info from various forums. Can you share the links to places where you bought your harneses?

C Lee