Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 e38
2001 740il- Won't crank.

Still not getting any crank from my 740il. Almost all electrical seems to be working. However, the temp gauge goes to max temp when I attempt to start the engine. The car makes no attempt to spin the starter. The Service Engine Soon light is not illuminated, the gear selector lights in the gauge cluster do not show which gear is selected. Park brake light seems to work fine, but brake light turns from red to yellow when start is attempted. Found corrosion, which looks to be coolant residue. Cleaned it as best I could and had to wire around two pins that had completely corroded away. I'm sure I have the wires connected correctly, but car still won't even think about cranking. I had changed the passenger's side cam position sensor the day before. I cleared all codes and turned off the SES light. The car ran great for just two days! Coolant temp sender is intact, no leaks. What the HELL is going on with this over-priced pile of monkey spunk?!?
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewizardmike View Post
Still not getting any crank from my 740il. Almost all electrical seems to be working. However, the temp gauge goes to max temp when I attempt to start the engine. The car makes no attempt to spin the starter. The Service Engine Soon light is not illuminated, the gear selector lights in the gauge cluster do not show which gear is selected. Park brake light seems to work fine, but brake light turns from red to yellow when start is attempted. Found corrosion, which looks to be coolant residue. Cleaned it as best I could and had to wire around two pins that had completely corroded away. I'm sure I have the wires connected correctly, but car still won't even think about cranking. I had changed the passenger's side cam position sensor the day before. I cleared all codes and turned off the SES light. The car ran great for just two days! Coolant temp sender is intact, no leaks. What the HELL is going on with this over-priced pile of monkey spunk?!?
Have you checked the fuses in the engine compartment. Mine did something similar. Kept blowing main engine control fuse. Id get nothing when I attempted to start the car, no click from started, nothing. Just give a look see, I think its #22, but not 100% as it was a while ago mine did it.

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM

no crank.

Thanks for the reply! It turns out what we have here is a failure to communicate! Just ordered a new dme computer since mine had some corrosion on the pins of the largest plug on it. Two of the pins had actually corroded right off. The car thought it was trying to be stolen. I have removed the ews module and will send that, the new dme computer and a key to the car to RPM Motorsport for reprogramming. The guy Brian over there was super helpful!

What did your fuse blowing problem turn out to be anyways? This car is super tempermental, I'll probably be down that road someday!

Thaks again for your response to my dilema! Was thinking there was no love here!!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Glad you got it figured out.

Mine was after alot of work being done to the engine. All of which i have been tackling myself. Turned out, there was oil leaking onto the plug just above the oil pan. Which was causing the engine control fuse to short out. Took a little figuring out where it was coming from. after 4 blown fuses i found thru process of elimination.This car has some oil leak issues, even after doing VC, Rear Mani, TB and upper timing chain cover gaskets. Since i have been busy with other items on the car, i used electrical grease and coated the plug and its connections liberally. That was 7 months ago, and so far havent blown a fuse since...

They can be tempermental, but the more repairs i make and do myself, the more i actually love the car.

Just got done, pulling the exhaust and driveshaft out of the car. replaced the tranny mounts, guibo disc,center bearing and cv joint on the back of the driveshaft. was tough work by myself, especially the exhaust reinstall, but worth it. No more vibration or driveshaft tunnel thump while driving...

Glad you got yours figured out...

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
Its the dws ing box under the dashboard by the steering wheel tha works with the ing my boy had same thing worry with is car
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

stix740il Thanks for the reply. Yup, you're right. I pulled that, I think they call it the EWS module, the white one under the driver side. My DEM computer, under the hood on the passenger side, was shot and it stopped talking to the EWS. The fix is sending the EWS and DME computers along with a key to the car to RPM Motors Sports for reprogramming. About to put all this stuff in the mail as soon as my new DME computer shows up in my mailbox. I'll keep this thread going so people can observe my success or frustration!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Hey guys, which RPM Motorsports Location are you talking about? My 01 740iL is doing the same thing. Had to charge it after it sat for awhile. Charged it and started it to pull it into the garage and it just quit. now no signal to starter and no fuel pressure. been all over the damn car checking wires, voltage, fuses, ignition switch, driving me crazy.