Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 AM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcompy View Post
The battery I bought has a 3 year free replacement warranty, so I think I'm covered.
Until they catch on and develop a tool to read battery program status to confirm BMW owners aren't registering battery and over/under charging them. Updating warranty to not inlude this sort of neglect.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM
BMW Master Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
Is it really worth $100 for installation? 2 bolts right?
Actually 5 bolts/nuts, 2 terminals and the battery holder, and 2 for rollover bracket.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 528i , 07 G35 6MT Coup
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny 2005 bmw View Post
I went to an independent shop. I forgot mention I put the battery in and didnít get it registered till 3 days. The computer had a fault in it for battery needs to be registered
Hey I live in Ft. Meade MD. wher and whatr shop did you go to. Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Battery Replacement, E60

The recommended method for battery replacement (without registration) is to keep power flowing to your E60 with jumper cables from another car attached to the terminals under the hood of your E60. You can then replace your battery without your car experiencing a loss of power.

While some have not had issues swapping out the old fashioned way, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by racooper3 View Post
Until they catch on and develop a tool to read battery program status to confirm BMW owners aren't registering battery and over/under charging them. Updating warranty to not inlude this sort of neglect.
A pretty comprehensive "energy history" is stored in the DME for diagnostics, evaluation and use by control units.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Wink Battery Replacement, E60

That may be true, but before I bought my 530, the dealer had installed an Interstate Battery.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
to borderchris- i deeply apologize for missing your may 2012 response to my posting about draining the battery in my 04 530i in or around march 2012. you say it is impossible to leave the headlights on in E60s. this is what happened. the morning commute to work still needed the headlights on because of darkness at 7 am. i was rushing to get to my job and inadvertently left the car without turning the lights off. i did not hear the lights on alarm because of my hasty exit. when i finished work at 4 pm i noticed the headlights switch was still on. when i turn the ignition switch on it was very weak and luckily after a prolonged slow engine turning it picked up and was able to rev it up. i drove it at highway speed for 1/2 hour to recharge the battery plus i put it on battery tender for overnight charging. it has been fine since then. this is the same battery that was put on without registering 4 years ago. again sorry for the belated response.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
This so called intelligent charging system that needs battery registration.............no other cars need battery registration. Doesn't seem intelligent to me.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM

Battery Replacement, E60

intelligent to the "bottom-line".........
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendc View Post
That may be true, but before I bought my 530, the dealer had installed an Interstate Battery.
You can use any battery make, as long as the specs. are OK. There are Duralast, AutoCraft, and others that work perfectly.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendc View Post
intelligent to the "bottom-line".........
I really don't think this is a money making scheme on their part. It's just an overly complicated design with little upside.

Some people cite the "enormous power requirements" of the E60, yada yada yada...that's baloney. There's no reason an E60 would need more current from the battery than other cars. Even if it did require more current, that's nothing to be proud of- good designs don't need a lot of standby current.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
I really don't think this is a money making scheme on their part. It's just an overly complicated design with little upside.

Some people cite the "enormous power requirements" of the E60, yada yada yada...that's baloney. There's no reason an E60 would need more current from the battery than other cars. Even if it did require more current, that's nothing to be proud of- good designs don't need a lot of standby current.
this batt-thing is child's play compare to the new F30 (at least on 328i with 4-TT engine), at idle with foot on the brake and the steering wheel is straight the engine shuts off to reduce emission for Europe and US new EPA regulation. Then when you lift your foot off the brake and hit the gas the engine starts and off you go (well I assume the batt is good of course). You can turn it off but default is always on, what a feature huh.

Sometimes keeping an old BMW is worth the effort, IMHO.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Battery Replacement, E60

my 2002 also drained battery power, even when it was parked; but previous older models I owned did not draw any power until the car was started. OBD and Condition Based Diagnostics are the future....... and alot of other car manufacturers are doing the same thing. Point of fact, they don't want us to work on our own cars.

But we will do it anyway. The Bentley Manuals for my 2006 5 Series are very good as a DIY reference point.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 530i '06
Hi folks, I need your help. Hi! I have a 530i 2006. Got this Duralast H8-DLG with specs: CC 950, CCA 760, RC 100. I haven't installed it yet. Will this work fine? my oem battery specs is 12 v, 110 AH, 850 A, 205 RC, 850 CC..do i need to register this battery? A..or shall i go with Duralast H8-AGM..help will be appreciated.. Thanks guys!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Crown.... see my post here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=27
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
I just changed my battery yesterday.

There are two issues you should be aware of registration and coding CAS correctly if battery is different capacity then recommended.

Registering is letting the computer controlling the charging profile that you have a new battery as the charging profile changes over time. Registering can be done by the dealer or yourself using Tools32.exe, INPA in older models, Easy-DIS and others. If you have INPA, then it takes less then five minutes to register your battery.

Coding is only required if you purchase a battery of different capacity then recommended. I read my CAS module and saw that my E90 had 90ah_agm so I purchased the same. This is so the charging profile matches the capacities of the battery. It is easier to replace with same battery as you do not have to recode and for the person down the road who replaces with the proper battery and does not check that you reprogrammed CAS it could cause a problem. If you replace your battery with a 70ah battery and your charging profile is for a 90ah AGM battery it will decrease the life of the battery. Coding with NCSExpert is a ten minute job if you know what you are doing. Else, buy the proper battery. I purchased a 90ah AGM battery for $150.

There are good tutorials on removing/replacing the battery, registering, and coding on the forums.

The settings available in CAS are:

KLASSE_BATTERIE
46ah
55ah
70ah
80ah
90ah
110ah
40ah_agm
60ah_agm
70ah_agm
80ah_agm
90ah_agm

Last edited by George Ab; 01-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Giant Robot

Mein Auto: Scion FR-S
I replaced my battery with a lead acid and didn't register it. No problems after 5k miles. I just pulled the old one, put in the new, and put some shims in to keep it from sliding around as it wasn't a perfect fit. Saved 500 off the dealer's price. Just saying.
"What are you going to replace your BMW with?"
"Another BMW, with a bigger engine!"
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Sometimes keeping an old BMW is worth the effort, IMHO.

+1 and Ditto too.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM

E60 Battery Replacement

Way to go!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I replaced my battery with a lead acid and didn't register it. No problems after 5k miles. I just pulled the old one, put in the new, and put some shims in to keep it from sliding around as it wasn't a perfect fit. Saved 500 off the dealer's price. Just saying.
^^I did this, except for the shims. The e60 seems to have two mount points for the battery retaining bolt so I just moved it to the smaller one. The replacement battery at Pep Boys fit and started correctly. Two months in no problems. I'll pay $100 every 3 years that it kills my battery instead of $500 to the dealer. What a rip.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Aftermarket battery issues with 550i GT

I was getting a low current notification on my 550i GT (2010) and decided to get a $180 battery from O'Rielly instead of the dealer's $650 OEM battery. I didn't know anything about registering the battery. It worked fine for a month - then I started having batter uncharging issues. This morning, the battery completely crapped out on me - the car showed drivetrain problems, transmission errors, gear-shift errors, an after losing power, it went completely stone-dead cold. Had to tow it to the dealership - they told me that I made a big mistake buying an "inferior" aftermarket battery because BMWs need more advanced batteries to power their enormous electronics and computers, and that they had charging systems that weren't compatible with stock aftermarket batteries. Anyway, I bit the bullet, paid for a regular BMW OEM battery, and car's fine now. Lesson learned - go to dealer. If you don't the other big problem is that any aftermarket part could void your warranty too.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
You might supply more details as to what type of battery you purchased. For a 2010 your OE battery was definitely an AGM type.

The minute you began to experience trouble at the one month point you should have gone back to O'reillys and had them check the installation and test the battery.

The $tealer's story about theirs is the only good battery, that it has to be registered and that your warranty could be void for using an aftermarket battery is a crock of BS.

There is no charging scenario caused by lack of registration that would kill your battery in 30 days. Besides, the IBS is supposed to monitor the battery constantly and adjust alternator output and shed system load by shutting down non-critical power demand.

It may have been the wrong rating, it may have been installed incorrectly, you may have a parasitic drain and a combination of short trips ran the battery low, the battery may have had a manufacturing defect, or your voltage regulator could be dying and you'll only find out when the next battery dies on you.

Many BMW owners have purchased a battery of the same type (FLA vs AGM), the same specifications (Cold cranking amps and amp hours) as well as the correct size and venting specifications as their OE battery and gotten years of good service without registering them.

BMW doesn't make batteries. They buy theirs from one of the five or six major manufacturers around the world and theirs is no different than many on the market.

The registration story keeps people spending big money instead of replacing their own. The key is to shop carefully with the correct specifications and don't use the compatibility or cross-reference charts at the stores. Check every individual specification carefully before deciding.