Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
problem with my first bmw need help

hello everyone this is my first bmw i bough it 10 months ago its a 2004 325ci, ill keep my issue short as possible.
I bought my bmw 10 months ago with an extended warranty from a bmw dealer they told me the car went through a maintenance inspection and that everything was good they told me all the things they changed like the oil and brakes ect... 10 months later the break light of my car came on and was making grinding noises i go in and get it checked out the tech guy tells me i need new rotors and breaks it will cost about 700 dollars, I then told him the sales rep said i got new breaks then the tech tells me the breaks where not changed since 30k miles and i bought the car at 60k and they should of been changed before i bought the car he told me because the rotors have been damaged.

so i sat their arguing with my sales rep how he told me the breaks were new even though the tech says they weren't new, then the sales guy said well when we checked them when you bought the car and it had alot of break left so i argued more and told them they sold me a car with damaged rotors so they said they would fix it a whole sale price $445 i said no im going to talk to the bbb and bmw of north america, so the sales guy and the tech had conflicting stories, i only put 9 thousand miles on the car and i would have changed the break pads if they told me they were bad when i bought it instead they told me they were new instead i was ruining them while driving right off the lot.

do you guys think i have something here this is total bs
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty#1 View Post
hello everyone this is my first bmw i bough it 10 months ago its a 2004 325ci, ill keep my issue short as possible.
I bought my bmw 10 months ago with an extended warranty from a bmw dealer they told me the car went through a maintenance inspection and that everything was good they told me all the things they changed like the oil and brakes ect... 10 months later the break light of my car came on and was making grinding noises i go in and get it checked out the tech guy tells me i need new rotors and breaks it will cost about 700 dollars, I then told him the sales rep said i got new breaks then the tech tells me the breaks where not changed since 30k miles and i bought the car at 60k and they should of been changed before i bought the car he told me because the rotors have been damaged.

so i sat their arguing with my sales rep how he told me the breaks were new even though the tech says they weren't new, then the sales guy said well when we checked them when you bought the car and it had alot of break left so i argued more and told them they sold me a car with damaged rotors so they said they would fix it a whole sale price $445 i said no im going to talk to the bbb and bmw of north america, so the sales guy and the tech had conflicting stories, i only put 9 thousand miles on the car and i would have changed the break pads if they told me they were bad when i bought it instead they told me they were new instead i was ruining them while driving right off the lot.

do you guys think i have something here this is total bs
Unless you retained something in writing at the time of purchase of the vehicle, you have no claim. Take the deal at $445 - that's a good price for any vehicle, let alone a BMW.

Member No. 470379
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M35
Usually if the car is a CPO, the dealer will have a check list of what has been changed and what hasn't, if you can locate that document and show them that they weren't saying the truth at the time of purchase and take it to higher management, may be they will hook you up, but I don't think hooking you up more than $475.00 is possible. I would suck it up and do that deal or just outsource it to a mechanic if you can get a better deal. Sorry dude, I don't think there's much you can do. Good luck
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 323 Ci
Pay the $445 and be done with it.

Now buy a Bentley manual, some tools and prepare to fix the next thing that breaks.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
This is going to sound harsh, but you bought an 8 year old BMW. Just because it did not cost 60k as it would if it were a new 3 series convertible does not mean that the parts and labor to keep it on the road is cheaper. The price they are giving you for the brake job is not bad at all. Be thankful that all it needs is brakes.
Start reading the wiki and educate yourself for what preventive maintenance you should be doing as well as other common repairs for that car. Then put the top down, go for a drive and have a some fun. I did just that this earlier this morning.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
You're from Chicago and you think life is fair??
It's brakes, not breaks. Sounds more upscale when you can spell correctly.
Salespeople are allowed to lie to you by law. There is nothing you can do about it except to take your business elsewhere.
When doing a brake job, always replace all the rotors on an e46. They are only designed to last one set of pads. So it did not cost anything when you damaged the rotors. We all replace the rotors each time.

Can you learn to do your own work?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
You're from Chicago and you think life is fair??
It's brakes, not breaks. Sounds more upscale when you can spell correctly.
Salespeople are allowed to lie to you by law. There is nothing you can do about it except to take your business elsewhere.
When doing a brake job, always replace all the rotors on an e46. They are only designed to last one set of pads. So it did not cost anything when you damaged the rotors. We all replace the rotors each time.

Can you learn to do your own work?
are u kidding me? you do realize there are measurement specs you follow to determine whether the rotor needs to be replaced or can be serviced right?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Oh here we go... To replace brake rotors or not. Or should it be break roters?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Salespeople are allowed to lie to you by law.
Here in Finland lieing to customer isn't allowed. Not sure if it change much though, because they still don't have to tell everything and even truth can be told in many different ways.

Anyway afterwards it's very difficult to prove anything.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Here in Finland lieing to customer isn't allowed. Not sure if it change much though, because they still don't have to tell everything and even truth can be told in many different ways.

Anyway afterwards it's very difficult to prove anything.
Not sure which system is worse? Only live where lying is OK!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansta View Post
are u kidding me? you do realize there are measurement specs you follow to determine whether the rotor needs to be replaced or can be serviced right?
I better might have expected you to measure the current in the rotor to see if replacement was advised.
Do you know anything about BMW's?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Learning Daily

Quote:
I better might have expected you to measure the current in the rotor to see if replacement was advised.
Do you know anything about BMW's?
trust me buddy i know alot more than you. for you to state that rotors are supposed to last 1 set of pads just makes you sound retarded. do you even know how to measure current properly? i doubt it.

Last edited by chansta; 10-23-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
$445 is a good price. Take the deal and you're set for awhile.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Chansta: BMW rotors wear out with the pads. Replacing them with pads is not an unheard of thing like for other cars
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Learning Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
Chansta: BMW rotors wear out with the pads. Replacing them with pads is not an unheard of thing like for other cars
rotors are meant to wear out the pads that's how cars in general come to a stop. not just BMW.