Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Towels, Dawn & Zaino

I'm getting together supplies for cleaning my new 328i. I've ordered some Zaino products and notice the website advocates Dawn and to avoid microfiber.

What do you guys use? I can't see putting Dawn on my car and microfiber I thought was the drying material of choice.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I'm getting together supplies for cleaning my new 328i. I've ordered some Zaino products and notice the website advocates Dawn and to avoid microfiber.

What do you guys use? I can't see putting Dawn on my car and microfiber I thought was the drying material of choice.

The dawn wash is recommended by Zaino to clean the cars paint of all old product. That said a good clay bar process would be a better way to clean the paint. In fact Zaino is the only car care producers that recommends this.

As for drying the car and removing wax / polish residue micro fiber is the best out there today.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
The dawn wash is recommended by Zaino to clean the cars paint of all old product. That said a good clay bar process would be a better way to clean the paint. In fact Zaino is the only car care producers that recommends this.

As for drying the car and removing wax / polish residue micro fiber is the best out there today.
I'm afraid of the clay bar as I have no experience and am reading that noobs can easily damage the paint. The tech support guy at Zaino recomended starting with All In One.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
get a clay bar kit (~ $15.00) and practice on the windows/windshield of your car. follow directions. it is ridiculously easy! it is the best way to clean and prep the paint on your car for polishing and a last step product.

i use Zaino but i don't use Dawn, and i use micro fiber towels.

a forum sponsor is 3D/HD. check with them for product and procedure recommendations. their products are easier to use than Zaino and last just as long if not longer. plus, the shine and finish is a touch better.

good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Yes, the claying step is important.

So is proper washing techniques, using Grit-Guards and the two bucket method with a sheepskin wash mit.

Quality microfiber towels and quick detailer (to spray on while drying to lubricate the towel and prevent marring + adds shine).
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM

Alright, I'll get ahold of a clay bar and give it a try. I have a blower to simolify drying and might as well try the quick detailer too. I think I have the other stuff covered.

Thanks for your help, guys.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: My 2 feet!
Be careful drying with a blower as it is very easy to blow fine dust back on the car and then getting swirls and scratches. I use a blower but only for the gaps between panels, the main sections I dry with a drying towel. Also, dawn is very aggressive and tends to "dry" the paint: a good claying process (as mentioned in earlier answers) followed by a good All-In-One or a paint cleanser is the better way.

Previous cars:
* beloved ED 2004 Mystic Blue 330i, 6sp, ZHP/Black Alcantara, Nav, Xe, brutally murdered by some dumb student who ran a stop while on the phone
* 2008 335i sedan, 6sp, Montego Blue, Terra leather, SP, CWP, CA, Nav
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
If you are detailing a new new car then you will be really happy with Zaino. I clayed my wife's Optima and followed with Zaino. On new paint it holds up very well.

I dry using a "watering can" technique. Get a watering can with an orifice of about 3/4 inch. You don't want one that simulates a spray head but one continuous stream of water. Fill the watering can with water and start at the top of the car. Pour enough water out of the watering can to create a solid sheet of water over the entire horizontal surface. You may have to move side to side somewhat. Work your way down the panel from high to low. You should be left with very little water on the body panel and therefore very little water to remove during your drying process.

You can youtube this also. Some people use their water hose. I'm too lazy to remove my spray nozzle from my hose. Two fills of my average size watering can allows me to do one car.

Also, don't be afraid of the claying process. It is very simple and surprisingly quick. Just be sure to use plenty of spray lubricant.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Be careful drying with a blower as it is very easy to blow fine dust back on the car and then getting swirls and scratches. I use a blower but only for the gaps between panels, the main sections I dry with a drying towel. Also, dawn is very aggressive and tends to "dry" the paint: a good claying process (as mentioned in earlier answers) followed by a good All-In-One or a paint cleanser is the better way.
I watched a claying video and will give it a try, followed by Zaino AIO and then Z5. and then Z8 between full details. When I used the blower last time there was so little water left I barely had to blot. It's so labor saving I'd really like to work it in although....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
If you are detailing a new new car then you will be really happy with Zaino. I clayed my wife's Optima and followed with Zaino. On new paint it holds up very well.

I dry using a "watering can" technique. Get a watering can with an orifice of about 3/4 inch. You don't want one that simulates a spray head but one continuous stream of water. Fill the watering can with water and start at the top of the car. Pour enough water out of the watering can to create a solid sheet of water over the entire horizontal surface. You may have to move side to side somewhat. Work your way down the panel from high to low. You should be left with very little water on the body panel and therefore very little water to remove during your drying process.

You can youtube this also. Some people use their water hose. I'm too lazy to remove my spray nozzle from my hose. Two fills of my average size watering can allows me to do one car.

Also, don't be afraid of the claying process. It is very simple and surprisingly quick. Just be sure to use plenty of spray lubricant.
The watering can method sounds interesting. What do you guys think about doing the watering can, then blowing out the seams and then blotting anything that produces. That way I'd be getting the water out of the seams while doing most of the drying without associated scratching....
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I'm afraid of the clay bar as I have no experience and am reading that noobs can easily damage the paint. The tech support guy at Zaino recomended starting with All In One.
Clay is a very simple process and even for a noob as you call yourself it's a piece of cake. The kits that are on the market Megs and Mothers come complete with all you need. Pop onto uTube and watch a few video's, and bare in mind that it is almost impossible to ruin your paint with clay unless, the paint is not clean, meaning freshly washed or you drop the clay and debris get caught in it. Just take your time and the results will be out standing..Another thing you'll find is just how much is on your paint that you can't see.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
Clay is a very simple process and even for a noob as you call yourself it's a piece of cake. The kits that are on the market Megs and Mothers come complete with all you need. Pop onto uTube and watch a few video's, and bare in mind that it is almost impossible to ruin your paint with clay unless, the paint is not clean, meaning freshly washed or you drop the clay and debris get caught in it. Just take your time and the results will be out standing..Another thing you'll find is just how much is on your paint that you can't see.
Ordered the clay bar and will check out some youtube vids. Thanks.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Dawn can remove the moisture from the exterior rubber elements like window seals.

Griots paint prep will safely remove old wax.

Waffle weave micro fibers are what you want for drying, not the regular ones.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
The Zaino recomendation for using Dawn is a one-time only thing meant to remove any other products that you may have used on your car. It is not meant to be repeated. That said, claying will do the same thing and is a good step to include in your process before applying any polishor wax. I think using a quality microfiber towel is fine -- I'm not sure you can even find a 100% cotton made in the USA towel these days. The towels (blond and white) that Zaino has on their website sometimes are excellent too. I have a pack of each and really like them.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)