Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This is the important part that I don't remember seeing in any DIY.

Q: Where do you set the glass stops?

Notice the glass stop on the front clamp is behind the glass, and about a half inch above the bottom of the glass:

While the glass stop on the rear clamp is on the edge at the bottom of the glass.

Something doesn't seem symmetric.
Q: Where is the procedure for setting where that glass stop should be set?

EDIT: Interestingly, this thread implies that some of the replacement regulators don't have these windows stops, which causes problem due to lack of alignment:
Quote:
I was unable to complete this DIY. Why? Because I spent HOURS trying to get the window aligned properly so that it would actually roll up. I finally got it to completely roll up but very slowly and sometimes it stops near the top and I have to click the button again to finish the closing. The reason appears to be the bracket clamps that hold the window itself. The design on this replacement assembly is different in many areas, as expected by what others had posted in their experiences. For the most part, that's either good or no issue at all. The problem is that there are no additional plastic adjustment screws on the brackets. They have some rotational ability and a little vertical ability on the carriers but no matter what I did, I could not get the window right. So frustrating.

I messaged FCP Grouton to ask about returning this assembly (the $65 one). I could either try their $99 one or else the photos of the $65 one at ECS Tuning shows that it has the extra adjusters. It's a shame, because everything else about this regulator was nice (and it included every screw in every spot, whereas the DIY writeup said I would have to reuse most of the hardware). Just a heads-up to anybody else out there - this DIY can be a real PITA and maybe paying a little more in this case could be worth it.

Last edited by bluebee; 10-24-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Looking at all the DIYs specifically for how to set the seat stops, I re-found this DIY which was one of the rare DIYs explaining the seat-stop adjustment concept:
- Front window regulator replacement
Quote:
Lower the window glass along the guides on the front and back of the door to rest on the seats. On each seat there is a plastic stop to adjust the glass height so it remains parallel to the guides on the door. Loosen the bolt on the stops to adjust the height so the bottom of the glass sits on the stops. Tighten the seat with the rubber cushion sandwiched in between.

BTW, here is some terminology from that DIY:
- Rail (the two black steel sheet metal arms where the cable slides, front rail & rear rail)
- Cable guide (the two bent metal overhanging tabs on each black sheet metal rail)
- Seat (the two steel clamps holding the bottom of the window)
- Edge protector (the rubber cushion inside each of the two seats)
- Cable shroud (the triangular soft rubber protection around the cable)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	347131   Click image for larger version

Name:	adjusting_window_stop.jpg
Views:	4314
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	347142  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-24-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM

On the topic of the proper position of the glass stops, here is a picture from a video I took about a year ago when I first tightened the seat bolts for the driver's door window regulator:

When I compare that picture to the same parts today, I can see the seat window glass stop has apparently moved upward, such that it no longer aligns the bottom of the window glass.

Interestingly, the Bentley doesn't cover the glass-stop alignment procedure at all; all it discusses is the centerbolt on the seat:

This DIY says a bit about adjusting the 'ears':
- BMW E39 2000 528iA Front Window Regulator
Quote:
The white plastic "ears" on the outside of the metal clamping piece are used to adjust the window height. On a replacement regulator loosen these before attempting to place the glass in the clamping pieces. I did not adjust these prior to energizing the window motor and the glass was hanging up at a few places. The motor sounded strained and the regulator torqued a little. That was because the glass was out of alignment. The white plastic ears provide some of the horizontal alignment of the glass and the clamps provide the vertical and some horizontal adjustment. On my car the glass was seated at the bottom of the clamp cradled in the rubber piece between the clamping jaws. Once I had the glass properly aligned everything ran smoothly.
In addition, the BMW TIS 51 33 00 refers adjustment to BMW TIS 51 32 154 but that TIS doesn't provide any new useful detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seat_window_stop.png
Views:	576
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	347138   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_window_seat_glass_stop.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	347139   Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical_adjustment.png
Views:	1364
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	347141   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_tis_51.32.154.png
Views:	1437
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	347151  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-24-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Yet another lesson learned.

Before I could even attempt to loosen the T20 window stop bolts, I had to connect all the wires in order to raise the window up so that I could have a straight shot to the T20 window stop bolts and to the T25 clamp bolts.

It took me far longer than it should have to identify each of the wires ... so ... I took a moment to LABEL them, for future reference. (In the idealized DIY, you would label them as you remove them.)

Once the wires were labeled and connected (I probably only needed the master switch, but I wasn't sure), I raised the window just enough to access the T20 & T25 window stop & clamp bolts.
I measured the tallest distance where the glass stuck above the door trim, and it was about 2 inches. (In the idealized DIY, you would lower the window to that position as the FIRST step of this DIY, before taking anything apart.)

Now that those things (which should have been done before) are accomplished, I looked all over the net this morning for the procedure to adjust the stops - and - I just can't find anything more about how to adjust the T20 window stops.

The instructions say to get the window 'parallel' ... but parallel to what?

Since there are almost no parallel lines in the entire setup, it's confusing to me what the reference point is supposed to be.

Here is the initial condition where the forward window stop is clearly too high for the window to fit properly in the forward window clamp.

I loosened the window stop T20 bolt, so now it slides down ... but I'm guessing at the reference point for the final resting place of the bottom of the glazing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_window_clamp.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	347174   Click image for larger version

Name:	3_window_clamp.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	347175   Click image for larger version

Name:	1_bmw_e39_2002_525i_window_regulator_motor_repair.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	347178   Click image for larger version

Name:	label.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	347180   Click image for larger version

Name:	window_height.jpg.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	347181  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-24-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Oh no! More mistakes!

I think it was my fault. I'm learning TOO MANY lessons, belatedly.

First I gathered up my blue & red permatex glue.

Then I loosened the aft clamp (what I thought was a) bolt.

When I removed it to add the Permatex threadlocker, to my surprise, it was not a bolt - it was a screw (so I now wonder if threadlocker is appropriate)?

Then, I adjusted the aft window stop to keep the bottom of the window at exactly the same line as the bottom of the window clamp (having had no other reference point).

Likewise, I loosened the fore clamp window-stop screw and set it so that the window glass straight lines were even with the straight lines on the bottom of the window clamp.

Then I connected 'just' the three connectors to the master switch.

But, when I powered up the car and moved the switch, all sorts of horridly strained sounds occurred!

Looking down from the top, I could see that three rollers were spinning but the fourth had the cable fall off its track. This was the damaged roller aft upper roller.

Looking about, I had realized, in this window-adjustment stage, I had purposefully neglected to tighten up all the window regulator bolts ... but ... that might be one of the factors in the cable jumping its track. Dunno yet.

So I took it back out of the car (third time is easy!) and I easily restrung the cables (perhaps too easily?).

And now all the cables are back on their rollers.

I wonder if there is a good bench-test procedure for operation?

I will try to bench test the operation again, because I'm not sure whether the cable slipped out due to one or more of these factors:
  1. The aft upper roller is chipped
  2. The window position might not have been adjusted correctly (it was binding)
  3. The regulator bolts were loose (as I was in the window-adjustment process)
  4. The motor could be bad (remember, I had taken it apart)
  5. The cable ends may have come out of the motor coil (as the cables are loose)
  6. ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	511
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	347196   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	347197   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	347198   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	347199   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	347200  

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	347201   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	347202   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	347203   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	347204   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	347205  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-24-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Hmmm... when I labeled the wires, there were 10 connectors but only 9 places to connect them.
  1. door light (1 connector),
  2. memory module (1 connector),
  3. master switch (3 connectors),
  4. woofer & tweeter (3 connectors),
  5. air bag (1 connector).
  6. ? (1 connector)

EDIT:

1) This was the original bmw 2002 525i E39 front driver side window regulator repair DIY
2) This was an update that added the window regulator a year later
3) This is yet another update that attempts to detension the window regulator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_9539.JPG
Views:	2037
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	347242  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-26-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 PM

UPDATE:

After spending days scouring the Internet searching for the elusive trick for easily re-stringing the front window regulator, MatWiz and I teamed up to define & successfully test a restringing method heretofore never documented (patent pending), which easily ratchets the window regulator cable tension from astronomically taut to utterly slack, and vice versa, just as effortlessly from totally slack to supremely taut - all with a simple twist of the wrist!

You can read how we arrived at our uniquely elegant solution (which, to my knowledge, nobody has ever defined before) over here:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How do we loosen tension on a BMW E39 front window regulator anyway?

Suffice to say, I can only tell you under frieNdDA, that this is the key:

Now it's time to bench test my newly restrung front window regulator.

Last edited by bluebee; 10-27-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Drat!

I painstakingly reinstalled the window regulator in the door, tightened all bolts and clips, and added the cable tie, and then, I belatedly realized, I had neglected to install the window clamps onto the guide rails.

"No big deal", I thought. I'll just slip the clamps on the rails while the regulator is bolted to the door.

Since the crimped hexagonal barrels were, by definition, in the midsection of the guide rail, I lowered them to two inches above the lower pulleys. But I couldn't get the window clamps onto their hexagonal barrels because there wasn't enough room for the swinging motion.

So I raised the position of the crimped on hexagonal barrels to the middle of the door, but, when I did so, I foolishly allowed the cables to spring AWAY from the two cable hooks on each guide rail - and boing! The cable (again) slipped off the regulator! Sigh.

Since this is the second time this happened, it's either because:
  • (a) I allowed the cables to move sans the window clamps being installed, or,
  • (b) the chipped pulley is allowing the cable to fall off
So, one more lesson to be learned:
  1. Install the cable clamps BEFORE placing the regulator into the door
  2. Install the window before OPERATING the window regulator.
Back to the drawing board!

EDIT:
Even after all this, I ended up adjusting the window glass location wrong!
My glass doesn't go all the way down - so I must have adjusted it improperly.

So I opened this thread in the hopes of finding out HOW to properly adjust the window glass before buttoning it all up!
- Do we have a step-by-step DIY for ADJUSTING window glass when replacing the regulator?

Last edited by bluebee; 11-20-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Hmmm... when I labeled the wires, there were 10 connectors but only 9 places to connect them.
  1. door light (1 connector),
  2. memory module (1 connector),
  3. master switch (3 connectors),
  4. woofer & tweeter (3 connectors),
  5. air bag (1 connector).
  6. ? (1 connector)

It looks like someone opened a thread, just today, asking what this lone unused connector is for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesJH82 View Post
Can anybody tell me what is the purpose of this wire or what's it for? It's located on the inside window trim and attach to the trim itself

Last edited by bluebee; 01-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 AM

For the record, it was asked today how to ADJUST the cables - so I hope this set of threads will be updated by the person asking (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQJQ View Post
My passenger window keeps falling off the teach every time I fix and righted the pulley system in the door it comes undone in weeks and the window is useless. Does anyone have any knowledge / experiences with their E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
What is a 'teach"?

Anyway, maybe you need to push the adjustment spring outward?

Matwiz and I put all the details and scores of pictures in one of the threads below, found simply by typing /window regulator F3 in the best links:

- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1)

This is the key to the window regulator adjustment.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM

For the record, see also this thread today, sourcing a stainless steel replacement pulley:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Feeler: E39 window regulator upgrades
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window_regulator_pulley_1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	386124   Click image for larger version

Name:	window_regulator_pulley_2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	386125   Click image for larger version

Name:	window_regulator_pulley_3.jpg