Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
clunky noise 1st, 2nd gear

Have a manual trans and there is a clunk noise when depressing clutch going from 1st to 2nd and depressing clutch to go back to 1st at low rpm maybe 1k-2k in parking lot situations at low speeds 10-15 mph, where you could probably remain in 1st gear. The noise only occurs after the engine has warmed up, 20 mins or so
It doesn't happen on street driving say starting out at the green lite to get to the speed imit shifting at higher rpms 2k-3k but just when you're creeping through a parking lot. I've got an extended warranty thru next april and will take to dealer unless it's just a normal sound in low speed situations. Anyone experienced this? Thanks.

Last edited by artinstead; 10-21-2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: dditional info
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by artinstead View Post
Have a manual trans and there is a clunk noise when depressing clutch going from 1st to 2nd and depressing clutch to go back to 1st at low rpm maybe 1k-2k in parking lot situations at low speeds 10-15 mph, where you could probably remain in 1st gear. The noise only occurs after the engine has warmed up, 20 mins or so
It doesn't happen on street driving say starting out at the green lite to get to the speed imit shifting at higher rpms 2k-3k but just when you're creeping through a parking lot. I've got an extended warranty thru next april and will take to dealer unless it's just a normal sound in low speed situations. Anyone experienced this? Thanks.
My '09 is quiet as a mouse so it's definitely not normal. I would have it looked at.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Yeah I figured, thanx
Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
rear diff mounts, guibo

Good thing is your still under warranty so have them do it fo free
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 10-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3
i've been experiencing the same thing for about 9 mos now ( same symptoms like you describe). I took it to the dealer the first time, the SA had no clue, then the second time....the mechanic supposedly checked it , they said that it was my transfer case motor ( they didn't even bother driving it, they just read what the SA wrote which I didnt get to read after it was time to pay the bill (bad on my part...lesson learned). All it said was "noise under the vehicle". Anyway, i declined the transfer case replacement... changed the fluid myself, seemed to have lessen the clunk but i think its all psychological. The more i listen to it, i think it might actually be the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV)....... Please share if you find out what's making that clunk.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM

will do, got appointment 11/9
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by artinstead View Post
will do, got appointment 11/9
Were they able to find out what's causing the clunk?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM

a

Last edited by artinstead; 11-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM

I told them of a rattle or clunk sound between 1st and 2nd when clutch depressed. After cheking it out determined, was nothing abnormal just drivetrain backlash at those low rpms. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-backlash.html