Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I have manualy tried the big truck nozzels and they will not fit at all.

powered by lemings
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Well, this is different

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/0...-for-unleaded/

Cars sputter and drivers fume: Marysville gas station sells diesel for unleaded
Posted by Mike Carter on April 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

A Marysville Chevron station was dispensing diesel fuel out of its unleaded gas pumps for 18 hours on Sunday, crippling the cars of at least 18 drivers, KING5 television reports.

One was Calial Lyon, who’s driving her dad’s Subaru because she “gassed” up her Toyota at the Chevron Sunday on her way to a basketball tournament. Her car’s in the shop.

“As soon as I started my car it was like the gas pedal didn’t really register,” she said. Lyon quickly realized she wasn’t going anywhere.

“It just kind of started smoking and it wasn’t working at all,” she recalled.

Lyon said the costs of the repairs, which include flushing the fuel system and the gas tank, are being picked up by Harris Transport, the company that services the Marysville Chevron.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
OP, theoretically, you should never be using the adapter because it makes a mess and there are enough "car" pumps out there. In my 2 years of diesel cars and driving all around the Northeast, I've never run into a station where the pump wouldn't fit. BMW does take it one step further by preventing the wrong size from fitting. If it doesn't fit, move on. Don't use the adapter
Auto union where do you fill up? I use the shell in newton (on Watertown st right near pike exit 16) and never works. Works fine with my bluetec!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Auto union where do you fill up? I use the shell in newton (on Watertown st right near pike exit 16) and never works. Works fine with my bluetec!
Hess: 219 Cambridge St & N Harvard St in Allston
Shell: 1241 Boylston St & Ipswich St
Stadium Gas: 280 Western Ave, Allston, MA 02134

Usually stick to the Hess in Allston because I live very close by. I like to stick to brand names. If I'm not there, then anywhere on Route 1 through Revere, Saugus, Peabody, etc.

Honestly, I've never been stuck at a station where the nozzle doesn't fit.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '09 MCS
Quote:
I use that one all the time and never had problem. I also use the gulf in Waltham on main street and gulf on 95S or 95N
2002 Audi S8 Brillian Black - daily driver - Gone

Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyINP View Post
I use that one all the time and never had problem. I also use the gulf in Waltham on main street and gulf on 95S or 95N
Really??? I literally was trying for over 5 min and could not get the nozzle into the filler neck. The guy inside the station ran out thinking i was trying to put diesel into a gasoline car. haha. Maybe mine is defective?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Any updates? Anyone able to remove that stupid restrictor?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I started using Shell DIESEL and for the first week the car has been running fine made my hand calculation an increase of 2 mpg with mix city and HEAVY hwy driving!! Remember I do aproximately 90-95% city driving that is why I get low mileage anywhere from 21-25 now!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
d is for Diesel

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
I live on the PA/NJ border and fuel in NJ where it's generally cheaper. That said, NJ only has full serve. My first full tank, I got fuel at a newly built exxon station. NO problem. The my second tank, I went to the same station and the guy that was there that night must've been new at it or something cause he couldn't get the nozzle in and spewed diesel all over the side of my d and the wheel. The he proceeded to tell me it was full! Well, I most certainly knew it wasn't so I got out and did it myself while he tended to someone else. I had to wiggle it around a bit and even flipped the nozzle vertical (saw another gas attendant do that to my mustang) which man it slid right in when i did that. But it went in all the way! I looked over and got the guy's attention and told him to make sure it's IN the hole next time he tries filling it up. Needless to say, I was just a tad . No problems the next time there.

Same as someone else mentioned at this station.. truck nozzle on one side, car diesel nozzle on the other side. - Green handle for both.

This adapter everyone keeps talking about.. I don't think I have one. My d is a cpo and there's a tool missing in the "trunk" the one in the middle. Is that where the funnel/adapter is supposed to be?

Last edited by kungpao; 10-22-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: remembered something else
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
One of these days I should try this "vertical" trick. I have seen it mentioned on here off/on for a couple of years now but never tried it. Every nozzle I have used on this car has only gone in maybe 2" and always looks strange with the bulk of it hanging outside the car while pumping. But so long as I have a pump that is working correctly and ever since I quit going to Shell stations I do not recall getting a single massive pump spillage.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM

I am going to try the 180 degree twist trick next time.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
I live on the PA/NJ border and fuel in NJ where it's generally cheaper. That said, NJ only has full serve. My first full tank, I got fuel at a newly built exxon station. NO problem. The my second tank, I went to the same station and the guy that was there that night must've been new at it or something cause he couldn't get the nozzle in and spewed diesel all over the side of my d and the wheel. The he proceeded to tell me it was full! Well, I most certainly knew it wasn't so I got out and did it myself while he tended to someone else. I had to wiggle it around a bit and even flipped the nozzle vertical (saw another gas attendant do that to my mustang) which man it slid right in when i did that. But it went in all the way! I looked over and got the guy's attention and told him to make sure it's IN the hole next time he tries filling it up. Needless to say, I was just a tad . No problems the next time there.

Same as someone else mentioned at this station.. truck nozzle on one side, car diesel nozzle on the other side. - Green handle for both.

This adapter everyone keeps talking about.. I don't think I have one. My d is a cpo and there's a tool missing in the "trunk" the one in the middle. Is that where the funnel/adapter is supposed to be?
Every diesel should have the adapter. It is about 6" long and comes in a clear container with a screw top and a nitirle glove. The adapter WILL cause overflow so you have to be mindful of how much your dispensing. In addition you should dispense at less than full rate since he truck nozzle is pushing more volume due to being larger.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
I live on the PA/NJ border and fuel in NJ where it's generally cheaper. That said, NJ only has full serve.
I seem to recall that rule only applies to gasoline since it is more risky to handle. You should be able to pump your own diesel in NJ, though you might encounter some resistance if the attendant doesn't know you have a diesel motor.

Quote:
I never got my adapter either, but never have needed it over the course of several years. The empty slot is for a much smaller tool (stuff like an emergency sunroof opener, etc.). BMWs come to the USA missing several of those little tools, due to cost-cutting. There are a couple threads in the main E90 forum which tell you how to order those parts, if you are interested in having a complete set.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM
d is for Diesel

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by János View Post
I seem to recall that rule only applies to gasoline since it is more risky to handle. You should be able to pump your own diesel in NJ, though you might encounter some resistance if the attendant doesn't know you have a diesel motor.

Yes, the look on the gentleman's face was priceless. He was flagging me towards an empty pump and I was cruising around looking for the green pump. Never had a problem with them filling me except for that one time. Now he gets a big grin on his face and says diesel when I pull up. (doesn't appear to speak much English not that it matters) Generally they don't freak out if you get out and pump though. I've on many occasion "helped out" when they were slammed with customers (or finished the transaction myself in that scenario too) I work an hour into NJ and have an 80 mile daily commute so it's no biggie for me to stop by a station in NJ on the way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by János View Post
I never got my adapter either, but never have needed it over the course of several years. The empty slot is for a much smaller tool (stuff like an emergency sunroof opener, etc.). BMWs come to the USA missing several of those little tools, due to cost-cutting. There are a couple threads in the main E90 forum which tell you how to order those parts, if you are interested in having a complete set.
I don't suspect I'll need it but it would be nice to know what's in the missing spaces. I'll have to dig around for that thread you mentioned.

figured I'd attach a pic. Item "A" shows holes in the trunk lid, Item "B" is the missing tool space.

Last edited by kungpao; 10-23-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
I don't suspect I'll need it but it would be nice to know what's in the missing spaces. I'll have to dig around for that thread you mentioned.

figured I'd attach a pic. Item "A" shows holes in the trunk lid, Item "B" is the missing tool space.
I believe "B" is for the "key" for the wheel locks, if you have them.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM

This is the most all nozzles go into my car. Basically the spring stops it from going in. Always happens this way. Tried the vertical trick today but no change. Pump functions fine with the car though so never worried about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1351188706.527015.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	347363  
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335D
Could someone link the thread for the missing tools? I'm missing mostly everything, except the tow hook.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
This is the most all nozzles go into my car. Basically the spring stops it from going in. Always happens this way. Tried the vertical trick today but no change. Pump functions fine with the car though so never worried about it.
That's about right. The curvature of the nozzle prevent its from going further.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflambert View Post
Could someone link the thread for the missing tools? I'm missing mostly everything, except the tow hook.
Screwdriver and tow hook.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335D
Isn't there a puller for the DEF and tow hook plugs? Or is that what the screw driver is supposed to be for?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
That's about right. The curvature of the nozzle prevent its from going further.
Really seems like it is the spring hitting something. Regardless it is strange to me since never had another car do this.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/16_1..._157/ES257878/ - Bypass adapter.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
I am going to try the 180 degree twist trick next time.
I'm late to the party. Yes, that works for me. The reason is some nozzles are not perfectly round and are bended at certain angle. I always try first to wiggle vertically ( up & down ). If it doesn't work then twisting 180 degrees usually solves the problem.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Aaron, I believe that's a TX thing to surround the nozzle with spring. I hate that crap too ! I have yet to find a nozzle that will insert all the way into fuel tank like its petrol counterparts.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I see the springy thing here in Fla as well. Maybe it's a southern thing?

I can only get the nozzle in about 2 inches. I haven't had a fuel spill in ages. Just takes practice.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)