Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 333xi
M Adaptive Suspension - How much of an impact?

Just bought a 335xi with Premium, Tech, Winter, HK, but left off the M suspension....Should I be worried that I left off the adaptive M suspension? I test drove a 335xi that didn't have adaptive suspension, and it handled like a BEAST.

After reading some of these threads, I feel like you can't live without adaptive suspension! Thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I dont have it now, didnt get it on my new car, not worried. the passive sport suspension is great imo. awesome balance between comfort and sport.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
The point is he doesn't have sport suspension. He has comfort suspension since he has an xi. The only way to get a better suspension on the xi is to get the adaptive-m option and YES it is worth every penny, but what are you going to do, return your car?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM

didnt see you have xi, in that case, yes you should have got the adaptive suspension.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
The point is he doesn't have sport suspension. He has comfort suspension since he has an xi. The only way to get a better suspension on the xi is to get the adaptive-m option and YES it is worth every penny, but what are you going to do, return your car?
How does the xDrive Comfort suspension compare to the RWD Comfort suspension? Firmer, softer, same? Never got the chance to test drive both as my RWD was ordered before the AWD came out, thought I'd read somewhere that the xDrive Comfort suspension is softer than the RWD Comfort suspension. True?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328 M-Sport EBII
I love how the adaptive suspension really changes the character of the car. I drive in comfort mode most of the time but will select sport from time to time. Feeling the suspension and the steering tighten up is really amazing...first time I pushed that sport button while driving the car home from the dealership I just had this big grin on my face...really amazing.

I drove a C300 for 3 years and while the suspension was stiffer than the F30 in "comfort" mode, the car was somewhat harsh in city driving...but no where near the stiffness of the F30 in sport mode. I enjoy having two distinct ride qualities and I feel like this is something all F30 drivers should experience!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
How does the xDrive Comfort suspension compare to the RWD Comfort suspension? Firmer, softer, same? Never got the chance to test drive both as my RWD was ordered before the AWD came out, thought I'd read somewhere that the xDrive Comfort suspension is softer than the RWD Comfort suspension. True?

BJ
I have only driven comfort suspension on the RWD. My understanding is that between the xi and RWD it is the same suspension. The m adaptive is more "comfy" than comfort and is as sporty or sportier than the sport suspension on the RWD car.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i XDrive
Is there any data out there about regarding the maintenance requirements of the adaptive-M suspension? Assuming I were to buy and keep an F30 328xi for 8 years, would I expect to spend more to maintain a car with the adaptive-M suspension?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Is there any data out there about regarding the maintenance requirements of the adaptive-M suspension? Assuming I were to buy and keep an F30 328xi for 8 years, would I expect to spend more to maintain a car with the adaptive-M suspension?
Yes there are apparently threads in other forums (X5 or E90 probably a good place to start) that discuss eventual repair premiums. It is not a given that the car would need new shocks at the 8 year mark but if it did you are probably looking at an extra $1000 or so to replace the adaptive vs conventional suspension.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 333xi
Really?

I wil push for the dealership to order me a new one with the M Suspension. I will drive it for a few days and see how it feels...

I am coming from an 2006 Acura TL, so just getting into the BMW, I think there will be a huge difference in the ride. I hope the steering is a tight as my bro's BMW, he had a 2009 330i.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
DMonE621,

I too have just ordered a new 3-series x-drive BMW and I came from a 2005 Acura TL (the new TLs are ugly). I ordered the sport package rather than the M-adaptive suspension. It comes with the 704 Sport Suspension in the package which is stiffer, but not harsh. This maintains the more traditional shocks. The option on the 335i is $1700 ($800 more than m-adaptive) but includes the following:

Sport Line:18" Sport wheels (397)
Black Exterior trim (blacked out window trim & black mirror caps)
Anthricite Headliner
Sport Steering wheel
Sport seats (better support than standard)
Sport trim

IMO this option was more for money rather than the m-adaptive.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
You're wrong. xDrive Sport and M Sport Lines don't come with sport suspension. If you read the official BMW USA 2013 ordering guide you'll see that the 704 Sport Suspension isn't included.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-20...ring-Guide.pdf

Last edited by sean10mm; 10-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:16 AM

To directly answer the original question, it depends. If you want the best handling possible on an xDrive then it's mandatory since it's the only suspension upgrade available. If not then it's a toss-up.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

I thought the same, but my build from the dealer shows it and even on BMW website shows the sport suspention: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=133U
If this is not correct...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	328i Suspension.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	347497  

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I thought the same, but my build from the dealer shows it and even on BMW website shows the sport suspention: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=133U
Yeah it would seem silly to have a Sport Line that doesn't have the suspension.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
BMW website has all kinds of wrong info... for my car it showed several kinds of wheels and steering wheels that the car does not have.

X-drive cars DO NOT get sport suspension. The only option for a superior suspension on x-drive cars is to order m-adaptive package and even then it will not have the 10mm of lowering that non x-drive cars get with either sport or m-adaptive suspension.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 PM

The web site has all kinds of (mostly) small errors on it. You can't take it as Gospel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

It was too late to contact dealer to ask about the suspension on the x-drive sport, I can see where there could be an error, yet I was told it had the sport suspension...I went to the BMW Config site and it had the same information on the x-drive for the #704 Sport suspension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 328i Config.pdf (128.4 KB, 105 views)

Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
It was too late to contact dealer to ask about the suspension on the x-drive sport, I can see where there could be an error, yet I was told it had the sport suspension...I went to the BMW Config site and it had the same information on the x-drive for the #704 Sport suspension.
What bmwconfig does not show you is that all x-drive cars get 704 deleted when they are built.

Get over it. It's still a good car, just not as good as if it had the adaptive setup.

From what one of the site administrators here with contacts at BMW have explained, the 10mm lowered sport suspension does not clear all of the x-drive components. That is the reason that the x-drive cars are not equipped with the more aggressive sport suspension even if you order the sport package.

The m-adaptive suspension similarly is not lowered 10mm, but it does include the dynamically adjustable, real time active magnetic dampeners (shocks) which make a huge difference in how the car handles, especially when it is in the sport setting.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 10-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus
Quote:
1. It's not tool late.
2. I would be suspicious about a dealer that either did not know or lied to you about the sport suspension being available on the xDrive.
3. Even if its on order, you are not obligated to buy the car. You can opt out anytime before making the final payment.
4. Get what you want.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
The lack of information on this and all the errors on BMW's site is frankly a disgrace. It's laughable.

But I finally found some information on this very site: CONFIRMED - F30 xDrive with Adaptive M Suspension Does NOT Lower Ride Height

But looking beyond xdrive, this news bit seems to answer answer some of my questions with this: "he Adaptive M Suspension offered for the rear wheel drive F30 includes a 10mm lower sport spring, the same spring that is offer on the sport suspension."

In other words, if you get it on a luxury line, you do get the sport springs and adaptive dampers. By implication, if you add the package to the sports line, you keep your springs and you get adaptive dampers instead of passive ones. If this is all true, it finally does make some sense to me. It also renders the idea of lines a little more inconsequential than before.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
I checked prices for replacement parts. If you go with OEM, you will pay about $1,000 more for adaptive dampers over passive sport ones. This is just for parts. There may be other charges by the dealer for wire connect/reset/BS. As to durability of the dampers, I have now idea.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
If you go with OEM, you will pay about $1,000 more for adaptive dampers over passive sport ones. This is just for parts. There may be other charges by the dealer for wire connect/reset/BS. As to durability of the dampers, I have now idea.
Thanks -- I guess time will tell. I am still leaning towards adaptive-M in the 328ix I plan to order in December.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks -- I guess time will tell. I am still leaning towards adaptive-M in the 328ix I plan to order in December.
you should get it
Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
you should get it
I do intend to. I was bit wishy-washy with that reply.