Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP
Arrow Talk me into/out of it!

Hi all,

I currently have a 2004 330i ZHP that I will most likely be parting ways with soon (original owner wants to buy it back and I am ready to sell). Looking for some input on my next car.

I am looking and the E90 M3 has currently piqued my interest. I will most likely be leasing my next car for various reasons, so I will probably only have it for 3 years.

This would be my daily driver as well as my weekend car, very minimal mods and probably only a handful of track/event days through the year. Prior to my E46 ZHP, all of my cars have been 300++ HP and decently modded...I have the itch for the extra power again, but probably don't have the time to mod right now.

So, my questions:

1. Is there a particular year of the E90s that are better or worse than others?

2. Should I even be considering any other cars in that same price range/style/performance? It seems that the E90 M3 has pretty glowing reviews on being a very balanced car...great for daily, long trips and the occasional track day. I don't want an ISF and I may entertain the idea of test driving an S5...

3. Anything else I should be aware of when looking at the E90 M3? I haven't been keeping up on the auto world as much as I used to, but I am ready to start getting back into it!

I am off to read up on some threads here, figure out common issues/gripes, etc...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Penguino; 10-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Fire Orange BMW M3
My M3 Coupe is the finest car I have ever driven. The Porsche guys will say I never drove one of them, and they're right, but I did have a Lexus for 10 years which I loved and I used to own three different Nissan 280s and 300s. I love the steering, the brakes, and the power! The sound and iDrive are real bonuses on top of that. Any current BMW can be had with the iDrive, but the sound is unique to the E9x M3s.

My car has been driven 21,500 trouble free miles.

Best of luck on your decision!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Welcome. I had a 2003 ZHP for eight years, loved it.

Have you driven one yet?

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 11-21-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
I've only had mine for 1 week now, so I am no expert, but it is the coolest car I have ever owned. Still playing with all the buttons, trying to set up my ultimate ride... The biggest issue for me was having a daily driver (that was still a beast). The S5??? Maybe, but it ain't no M!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 330
The E90(sedan) isn't available anymore. So you'd have to get a coupe E92 or Vert E93 instead.
Leasing a used car rarely makes sense financially.
You should maybe consider 335is coupe as well. It has plenty of power.
I've also had a 330i ZHP... great car.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
The E90 M3 is great. One of the best sedans ever built IMO. I commute and bring my kids to school in it every day, we take long road trips in it and I take it for "spirited" drives just for the fun of it. It's a true driver's car that is also practical and comfortable. However as stated it's out of production so you can't get a new one. As far as I know all model years are good. Some of the tech is updated in the later model years as the nav. but as far as being a reliable fun and practical car they are all good. Non of the competitors i tested comes even close. They can be fast and comfortable but lacks the precision and communicative virtues of the mighty M3. And then there is the S65 engine, a master piece that wouldn't shame itself in an exotic. That you could get a car with such an engine for $60k is incredible.

Last edited by solstice; 10-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The E90 M3 is great. One of the best sedans ever built IMO. I commute and bring my kids to school in it every day, we take long road trips in it and I take it for "spirited" drives just for the fun of it. It's a true driver's car that is also practical and comfortable. However as stated it's out of production so you can't get a new one. As far as I know all model years are good. Some of the tech is updated in the later model years as the nav. but as far as being a reliable fun and practical car they are all good. Non of the competitors i tested comes even close. They can be fast and comfortable but lacks the precision and communicative virtues of the mighty M3. And then there is the S65 engine, a master piece that wouldn't shame itself in an exotic. That you could get a car with such an engine for $60k is incredible.
+1

Big upgrade in idrive took place in 2009. So buying used, would suggest 2009+ if possible.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
DO IT! I've had mine for a week and the second you start that engine up, you smile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, all. I didn't know the sedan wasn't being made for 2013...I have more than one passenger in my car several times a week, which is why the E90 appealed to me. My local dealer has a new E92 that I am going to go test drive today; after looking at the numbers, it may make sense to me to lease a new car at this point. We'll have to see how cramped the back seat is.

Will be back later, hopefully with good news!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Go Tigers!

Mein Auto: '11 M3 sedan
After 6 years with an '05 ZHP sedan I traded for an '11 M3 sedan. The ZHP was the best car I'd ever owned until the M3. The only thing the ZHP was better at was fuel economy, but after 2 years with the M3 I've gotten used to the frequent gas station visits. I've also tracked both in stock form (other than brake fluid) and the M3 is really in it's element on track. If you can find an E90 M3 that you like, go for it.

Bluegrass Bimmers
2011 E90 M3 Space Gray/Fox Red/6MT/PP/CWP/EDC/PDC/Sirius/Rear Sunshade

2005 330i ZHP (sold)
2001 X5 3.0 PP/auto (sold)
2000 528i Sport/PP/5MT (sold)
1998 528iA Premium (sold)
1997 740i (sold)
1993 318is (sold)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Well, I test drove a MY13 E92 this weekend...and all I have to say is that I am working with a dealer to get one built!
As much as the practical side of me wants the E90, I don't think I am going to have an easy time finding one and the thought of having a car built for me, exactly to the specs I want is too much to pass up!

My only question...since it's so late in the year, should I wait to see if they have any year-end deals? When do the 2014 models start showing up? Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to the auto scene for the last 2 years or so, been trying to catch up.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldintake View Post
The E90(sedan) isn't available anymore. So you'd have to get a coupe E92 or Vert E93 instead.
Leasing a used car rarely makes sense financially.
You should maybe consider 335is coupe as well. It has plenty of power.
I've also had a 330i ZHP... great car.
there are about 30 decent used M3 sedans for sale in the US right now between the 2009-2011 range. To the thread starter, there is an amazing 2011 M3 sedan in white that has been Dinan'd out with every option for 89K in Norwood, MA. If I had that much cash lying around, that would be my daily driver fo sho! Good luck with your search.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
for all the reasons you stated, this is why i want to trade my 335 for one
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Well, I test drove a MY13 E92 this weekend...and all I have to say is that I am working with a dealer to get one built!
As much as the practical side of me wants the E90, I don't think I am going to have an easy time finding one and the thought of having a car built for me, exactly to the specs I want is too much to pass up!

My only question...since it's so late in the year, should I wait to see if they have any year-end deals? When do the 2014 models start showing up? Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to the auto scene for the last 2 years or so, been trying to catch up.
2013 is last year for M3 with NA V8 S65 engine. I'd order one now if you want it new.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
there are about 30 decent used M3 sedans for sale in the US right now between the 2009-2011 range. To the thread starter, there is an amazing 2011 M3 sedan in white that has been Dinan'd out with every option for 89K in Norwood, MA. If I had that much cash lying around, that would be my daily driver fo sho! Good luck with your search.
Not sure why you quoted me... You can't lease a new e90 m3 and that's what the Original Poster wanted to do. Leasing used vehicles doesn't usually make financial sense... YMMV