Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Rookie with X3 purchase questions

Hello. I was hoping to get a little guidance regarding my next car purchase. I suspect this will be the first of many BMWs (wife wants a 3-series).

I've looked at all of the SUVs: acura, audi q5, bmw x3, cadillac, infiniti, lexus, and volvo. Narrowed it down to audi q5 and bmw x3....and after driving these two multiple times, it wasn't much of a contest, the x3 wins.

I had a couple of questions before I purchase:

1. MSRP of my config is approximately $46,000. Invoice around $42,300. I've read/heard paying $500-1000 above invoice is about right, but does this hold true with BMW's vehicles?

2. Is the replacement run flat tire package worth considering? I've read about some horrific experiences with these tires in terms of life and replacement cost.

3. Any experience with the following dealers: Cedar Rapids, IA, Des Moines, IA, Davenport, IA, Peoria, IL

4. If I hit the park button on the gearshift while in transit, will it completely destroy my transmission?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Burtman

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M
I have had no problems with run flat tires. Had them on my 2007 X5 and now on my 2013 X3 35i with M package.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
1) Depends on the dealer/market, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than that.
2) No. Total profit maker for the dealer.
3) Nope
4) I'm pretty sure they software/computer won't allow this to happen unless you are stopped and foot on the brake.

Love our X3...good luck with your choice.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Thank you!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
see my responses in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasspock View Post
Hello. I was hoping to get a little guidance regarding my next car purchase. I suspect this will be the first of many BMWs (wife wants a 3-series).

I've looked at all of the SUVs: acura, audi q5, bmw x3, cadillac, infiniti, lexus, and volvo. Narrowed it down to audi q5 and bmw x3....and after driving these two multiple times, it wasn't much of a contest, the x3 wins.

The X3 is the be driving suv in it's class hands down. It isn't the prettiest hence one of the last suv's in the class I drove. My runner's up were the Kia Sportage Turbo and Volvo XC60 T6.

I had a couple of questions before I purchase:

1. MSRP of my config is approximately $46,000. Invoice around $42,300. I've read/heard paying $500-1000 above invoice is about right, but does this hold true with BMW's vehicles?

Sorry, can't help in the US. Up here I negotiated about 6% off msrp ... about $67K all in.

2. Is the replacement run flat tire package worth considering? I've read about some horrific experiences with these tires in terms of life and replacement cost.

I haven't had any concerns about RFT

3. Any experience with the following dealers: Cedar Rapids, IA, Des Moines, IA, Davenport, IA, Peoria, IL

Nop

4. If I hit the park button on the gearshift while in transit, will it completely destroy my transmission?

I have inadvertently hit the P at very low speed an the car did go into park. I donno what would happen at higher speed but I would assume the BMW engineers would not permit a catastrophic accidental application of the park selection at speed.

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

Last edited by lbjgh; 10-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
There is an entire section of the board just dedicated to dealership experiences here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

You can take a peek and see if any of the dealers you are thinking about using are on there. On your other questions, I have a 35i and have had no issues with the run flats.
I declined the tire replacement insurance. I read on another thread that someone tested what would happen if they hit park travelling at a fast speed. It did nothing. If I remember correctly, it will only engage under a certain low speed. Last but not least, I paid $500 over invoice for mine so certainly you should be able negotiate that now.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 PM

I just bought my 2013 X3 about a month ago. Originally I was aiming for 8% off MSRP for a custom order, while most dealers I contacted with could only do 5~6%. Finally a dealer told me they could do 8% if I buy in stock. I walked in and got 9% off MSRP buying in stock plus college grad discount. The salesman told me they could do 9% because it was the end of month.

I didn't get the tire warranty. It's a gamble, and the dealers must have better odds. Though it covers 5 years, you will need to replace a new set of tires in 2 years anyway ( the warranty does not cover normal wear.) Local tire shops can actually repair nails on run flat if it's not serious. Also, you have the option to switch to cheaper regular tires.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
I did try hitting P at speed on a test drive .. car did not shift into Park. Gave me a warning on idrive screen.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank you again for all of your answers.

One more, is there any reason to get this glass coat thing or is it just a gimmick? Apparently it covers interior and exterior damage for up to 7 years for approx $450.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Gone for a drive.

Mein Auto: BMW, GM, Fountain
Everything is a gimmick at the dealer except the purchase of the car itself.

Your car has a factory warranty and the tires have a manufacturer warranty. Keep it clean, keep up with factory maintenance, and save the money on useless add-ons for gas.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewtech View Post
Everything is a gimmick at the dealer except the purchase of the car itself.

Your car has a factory warranty and the tires have a manufacturer warranty. Keep it clean, keep up with factory maintenance, and save the money on useless add-ons for gas.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
A couple of things. First remember if you lease the car it must be returned with runflat tires mounted. If you change to non runflat tires before they are worn it would pay you to keep the take offs until the lease was up then remount them before turn in. Secondly there is a good regional forum here on the 'fest under: Bimmerfest BMW Forums that has a "regional" section that will allow you to post your questions about the IA dealers. A place to get responses from fellow festers who live in the area and have experience with those dealers. This would also be useful to find good BMW oriented indy shops too -- but you will not need one of those until your free maintentance runs out at 50K miles. Good luck and remember to bargain from invoice up -- not sticker down!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
BMW of Peoria is one of the leading BMW dealerships in the Midwest.

My wife and I just purchased our 3rd BMW from them. We have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. The management and staff are first-rate in our opinion.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

We also drove an Audi Q5 thinking that this was the X3 killer and we were somewhat taken aback as the Q was not as nimble as the X. Also, the side mirrors were so large that I had a very difficult time seeing the medians and curbs. The big issue was with the dealership as we were unable to get anyone from the Audi part of the dealership to acknowledge our presence. Showroom was empty of personnel. We then then ventured back out to the lot and a very nice client adviser came out from the Porsche area and set us up for a test drive in the Q.

Glad we stayed with a winner: Peoria BMW. We love our X!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 AM

I think at that point I would have test driven a new Cayenne just to get a bench mark on how this kind of car should be! In our area the sales force (or whatever they choose to call themselves this week) are quite active and I doubt you would have had to wait too long if at all before you were approached. On the Porsche lot here it has been my experience that they are much lower key yet very attentive to their particular market share. FWIW I found the new Q5 to be superb and will be anxiously waiting for the new Gen II diesel to appear here in MY13.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp View Post
BMW of Peoria is one of the leading BMW dealerships in the Midwest.
Based on what? I think that's just your take, they havent won any dealer awards from BMW that I know of. The reviews for that dealership are mixed. Plus everytime I go there it seems their staff has turned over.

I had just an "ok" experience with them when I bought my X3. Somewhat pushy sales people and a finance advisor that told me to put nails on my driveway for the tire warranty... ummm... insurance fraud? Yes, I called BMW NA and let them know. However, just a few months ago the BMW CCA ILL president started working for them (his name is Chris) and I've heard good things.

Isringhausen (Springfield, IL) is known as one of the best delaerships in the country for Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. However, from what I've heard they dont like to work with you on price much. Going into their showrooms and you're welcomed by people that have worked there 20+ years.
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/99 - 12/04)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all your help.

Now the hard part.....black/oyster vs deep sea blue/oyster vs silver/black vs space grey/black.

So.....many.....choices.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasspock View Post
Thanks for all your help.

Now the hard part.....black/oyster vs deep sea blue/oyster vs silver/black vs space grey/black.

So.....many.....choices.
If you don't mind washing the car a lot (in order for it to look good) go with either the black or deep sea blue. If you aren't into washing/cleaning, I'd go with the silver or grey. The black and deep sea blue will show swirl marks and dirt far more than the space gray or silver will. Just food for thought.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:26 PM

black color makes the interior look much smaller.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM

I have the deep sea blue and it doesn't show swirl marks, in fact it is quite a nice color that does not appear (too) dirty even when it is. Black of course is another matter.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
Based on what? I think that's just your take, they havent won any dealer awards from BMW that I know of. The reviews for that dealership are mixed. Plus everytime I go there it seems their staff has turned over.

I had just an "ok" experience with them when I bought my X3. Somewhat pushy sales people and a finance advisor that told me to put nails on my driveway for the tire warranty... ummm... insurance fraud? Yes, I called BMW NA and let them know. However, just a few months ago the BMW CCA ILL president started working for them (his name is Chris) and I've heard good things.

Isringhausen (Springfield, IL) is known as one of the best delaerships in the country for Porsche, Mercedes and BMW. However, from what I've heard they dont like to work with you on price much. Going into their showrooms and you're welcomed by people that have worked there 20+ years.
We can all find 'bad' things about any car dealer...Any. It's the nature of the business.

As for 'staff turnover', there aren't too many people that can make a career as a car salesman. There are a few, but not that many.

You say Isringhausen is one of the best dealerships in the country. Based on what? What are your sources? I've heard that they can be down-right pompous.

We all have our own reasons for buying at a certain dealership.

Best to just leave it at that.

My respects.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp View Post
We can all find 'bad' things about any car dealer...Any. It's the nature of the business.

As for 'staff turnover', there aren't too many people that can make a career as a car salesman. There are a few, but not that many.

You say Isringhausen is one of the best dealerships in the country. Based on what? What are your sources? I've heard that they can be down-right pompous.

We all have our own reasons for buying at a certain dealership.

Best to just leave it at that.

My respects.

My sources? Just walk into their dealerships or visit their website. Very different experience. Oh, and this. http://www.isringhausen.com/About-Us/Awards.aspx

And yes, I'm sure you pay for it. I will note that I've never purchased a car there, but have had service done multiple times. My last BMW came from Peoria and the one before that Bloomington and then Westmont. Isringhausen always seems a little high on the price side and I'd perfer to get a deal on the price because I can put up with a salesperson for an hour or so. But when your finance adviser tells me to do something illegal, I'm not sure.

We all have our reasons, as you state...maybe you knew Sam Leman, or a relative.

Yes, we all could find "bad" things about any dealer (like price flexibility at Isringhausen). Yes, there arent many that can make a career as a car salesman, but the ones that can are at the best dealerships becuase they are knowledgeable about the cars and care about the customer...
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/99 - 12/04)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
RFT's are a major nightmare. Call the dealership and ask them how much are replacements and if they have them in stock. If they can't help you right away..you may want to reevaluate your purchase.

My wife had RFT's on her car and I had regulars on mine. We had a vandal go through the neighborhood one night and puncture multiple tires on lots of cars. This was Friday. My car was up and running within 24 hours. My wife couldn't get replacement RFTs for several days (they were Continentals so well known company).

I had an X3 and she a Mini cooper. One of the major reasons I did not buy a new X3 was because of their RFT only set ups.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM

I appreciate all the advice.

X3 is ordered and now the waiting....is....so....hard.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: R1150R+
Are you willing to share "your deal"?
Of course, if a trade was involved then it will serve us no purpose as we don't know the true value of another unseen car that's traded. I'll be posting "my deal" in my thread on buying a new one real soon.