Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M
Question Oddball engine issue

I picked up a 2006 Z4 M back in May with 55k on it....definitely the best car I've owned, love the power, the steering, the suspension...all of it.

However, it's done something twice now that has me a bit spooked.

Basically, I'll be driving down the road, normal highway speed, and shift down to pass, etc, and I get a service engine light, and it starts running TERRIBLY. I mean, like no power, feels like three cylinders. Exhaust note goes punky, everything. First time it happened, I thought, oh crap, there goes my VANOS....so, I pull off the road, get out, listen to it, see if I've got disconnected plug wires, etc. Can't find anything, so I turn it of. A few minutes later, start it up, and presto, no issues at all.

Now, the first time this happened, I was at 12,000 feet on a road trip through the CO rockies....chalked it up to maybe some issue with the altitude and air/fuel mix.

But, same thing happened to me last night driving home from work...and just as before, I pulled off, turned it off, started it up, runs like a top.

I'm stumped....any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
Water in the gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltonj72 View Post
I picked up a 2006 Z4 M back in May with 55k on it....definitely the best car I've owned, love the power, the steering, the suspension...all of it.

However, it's done something twice now that has me a bit spooked.

Basically, I'll be driving down the road, normal highway speed, and shift down to pass, etc, and I get a service engine light, and it starts running TERRIBLY. I mean, like no power, feels like three cylinders. Exhaust note goes punky, everything. First time it happened, I thought, oh crap, there goes my VANOS....so, I pull off the road, get out, listen to it, see if I've got disconnected plug wires, etc. Can't find anything, so I turn it of. A few minutes later, start it up, and presto, no issues at all.

Now, the first time this happened, I was at 12,000 feet on a road trip through the CO rockies....chalked it up to maybe some issue with the altitude and air/fuel mix.

But, same thing happened to me last night driving home from work...and just as before, I pulled off, turned it off, started it up, runs like a top.

I'm stumped....any thoughts?

Has the weather/humidity been wet? maybe some water/condensation in the gas tank? Try dumping some "dry gas" in there.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
check for codes. gently tap on MAF sensoe with the car is idling....if it changes replace it. with it missing you should have at least a history code
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Pull your codes. They will tell you what is going on. Good luck .
Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster
agreed, pull the codes, I'd say it's likely the camshaft position sensor.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe
Check for loose vanos bolts. If they break it is bad news.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
The CEL is always emissions related. I'm going with the cam position sensor or possibly an O2 sensor.