Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i
Cranking Issue

I washed under my hood a few weeks back with the engine off. Since then, whnever I try to start the car after sitting for a few hours it cranks but won't start for multiple tries. I took it to Momentum BMW west and thet diagnosed it as needing a fuel pump. I had my mechanic install a new BMW fuel pump and I still have the same problem.
Could it be another issue?
I replaced the battery a day before this so the battery is ok.

Last edited by tyjon98; 10-27-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjon98 View Post
I washed under my hood a few weeks back with the engine off.
Define this statement a little better "I washed under my hood". Did you use just plain water? any chemicals? Did you use high pressure water.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM

I washed under the hood with a high pressure hose at the car wash. No chemicals.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Many will using washing under hood is a no-no, but I do it all the time..>HOWEVER you should NEVER use high presures around connectors.

The issue is that high pressure water can be forced past connector seals (rated for waterproofness, but only water- not pressurized blasts) and cause electrical issues. My thery is that you have water in a connector that is changing from water to vapor back to water as the engine heats and cools.

I'm sure if you tell the dealer it was washed, they'll see $$$ signs and just sock it to you. I'd disconnect connectors and inspect.

A
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks. I'm at a BMW certified repair shop. No longer dealing with the dealership. As soon as I told him the symptoms and what I had done he said he never would have checked the fuel pump. He thinks its definitely a connector wet.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
While I won't say to never wash under the hood, I will say that I've never heard of anyone who had a problem because they never washed under the hood, but have seem many messages about problems after washing under the hood.

I myself limit my "under the hood cleaning" to wiping with a dry rag, or for oily deposits, a rag moistened with some WD-40. I'll also sometimes use some Aerospace 303 plastic protectorant on some rubber and plastic bits, such as the engine cover and sealing gaskets around the hood edges.

But that's it for me.

And never, never, a high-pressure spray.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Well,
They found the fuel pump pressure was not adequate at start... around 30 psi, it needs around 50 psi. The fuel pump is not coming on when switch is in 2nd position. So does anyone have any suggestions what might be the cause so I will know if they are being honest????
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjon98 View Post
Well,
They found the fuel pump pressure was not adequate at start... around 30 psi, it needs around 50 psi. The fuel pump is not coming on when switch is in 2nd position. So does anyone have any suggestions what might be the cause so I will know if they are being honest????
You are being unclear:

Who is "they"??????? Original Dealer? or current Indy?

Here is how you do it:

" BMW dealer said low pressure, tested at 30, needs 50 replaced pump- still has an issue.

Current indy says ________________ " (pump is still at 30, which means dealer replaced pump unnecessarily- what do they say about that...or...indy hasnt tested it... or...dealer never gave me any info, the pressures are all from the indy...or..or..or)

Until you clarify what you are talking about there are too many possibilities.