Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911
Buy a 633 or 635 for fun daily driver?

Hi, I'm considering a 633 or 635 automatic trans purchase to be driven regularly (a few times a week). Appreciate any thoughts you may offer considering the practicality of this and reliability. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 635csi
Hi jbrwing, I have an '85 635 and had to put a lot of work into it, but it works as a daily driver for me. However, I have a nothing commute. If you're thinking 50,000 miles a year I'd have to say no.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks Pocko. The 633 and 635 are such classics and head turners. Although I don't have one it is always surprising to me their prices are not much higher. One mystery I do not understand. I don't have a commute but just curious about their reliability. Appreciate your post. HNYear.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 635csi
I have to say that the reasons their prices aren't higher to me is that they don't don't have the horsepower. If you look at the current 6-series, it's all about power and bling. That was what the e24 was about too, but the US smog regulations and the bumpers killed the beast. I recently saw a Wheeler Dealer, one of the first ones, where they worship the Shark, but they're worshiping a 210 horsepower, 250 # torque beast, not the tame civilized coupes we're used to. I recently saw a Euro 633 on tg is site and I have to envy this guy because he has what BMW originally planned.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 6, but that's why this section of the forum is the least travelled and why the Sharks don't fetch the prices I feel they deserve.

Happy New Year
Roscoe
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 AM

Hi Pocko, not sure I agree with the need for greater HP. In. The early 70s I had a 1958 Porsche 356a sporting about 60 hp. Great fun to drive and now valued about $55,000. I know HP is THE thing now, but back in the day there were a lot of low HP cars. Wheeler Dealers is a great show and I saw the BMW 635 episode. Wouldn't you like to buy one of their refurbished cars? So many good ones.