Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
BMW Floods US Market - Look for Great Deals in Q4

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW flooding US Market

The U.S. luxury-auto market may be facing a new dynamic in coming months: becoming a destination for more and more vehicles that BMW can’t sell in Europe and elsewhere.

BMW sales chief Ian Robertson told Bloomberg that BMW already has shifted “tens of thousands” of cars that originally were targeted for Europe to the United States and Asia this year as sales have continued to weaken considerably in BMW’s home-continent market.

The deepening woes of Europe’s auto market hadn’t registered significantly at the upper end until recently, and now Robertson said that “challenges in Europe are getting greater.” The region faces “a lot of bumps in the road” before it stabilizes, and an auto-market recovery could take years, he told the magazine.

That’s why BMW is eyeing the U.S. and China to absorb more sales. The American luxury market has been getting more robust throughout 2012, while the Chinese market remains strong despite a general cooling of the China economy.

In the U.S. BMW continues to compete with Mercedes-Benz for a 2012 luxury-market sales-volume championship that it won last year over its German rival. The corporate strategy to attempt to sell even more BMWs in the United States, to make up for its problems in Europe, could lead to another round of deep discounting by the two rivals in the fourth quarter – perhaps even deeper than that which ensued last year as the two companies battled it out for the sales title that Lexus had won each year previous for more than a decade.
This article has been viewed 5652 times.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
I'll believe it when I se it. The x1 may have a softer margin to discount, but the forthcoming F31- doubt it.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
These posts are so driven by BMW marketing that they are worse than useless. In fact, they are emparrassing to me as a BMW owner.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
These posts are so driven by BMW marketing that they are worse than useless. In fact, they are emparrassing to me as a BMW owner.
Actually this information came from Audi
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
I don't want to be emparrased any longer

I'm moving to Audi

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 10-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Drive fast but safe.

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Audi..Really?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
"Clunker" *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I don't want to be emparrased any longer

I'm moving to Audi
Whatever turns you on. That's not my rationale when making major purchases, such as cars. If BMW marketing is embarrassing, so be it. I buy a car based on MY reasoning.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav.Ghosh View Post
Audi..Really?
Yea, while I am it, I should invest in an MB purchase.

I'm just a sucker for buying 2013 cars with circa 2003 tech.

Command and MMI, theyre soo advanced

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM
"Clunker" *****

So if all these Americans are buying luxury cars I guess we aren't really broke, as some would assert. Very encouraging.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM

We are never broke, we are the clever mooching friend who finds a way to be on top by being resourceful!

Why does this matter?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
BMW sales chief Ian Robertson told Bloomberg that BMW already has shifted "tens of thousands" of cars that originally were targeted for Europe to the United States and Asia this year as sales have continued to weaken considerably in BMW's home-continent market.

If the cars were already built, they would not conform to USA spec. The USA market is already saturated with BMWs. More cars? Think Toyota Camry.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 11-01-2012 at 06:11 AM.