Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i
AC/Clima Question

Question around AC/clima ... I am probably missing something ... again ... but I just can't figure this one out:

Every time I get into the car and start it the AC/clima/fan is on ... on the lowest level, but on.
No matter if I turn it off last time I drove the car, every time I come back, open the car and start it the fan/ac is on ...

Is that normal? Is that something related to the driver profile?
I would expect the normal behavior to be "remember the last setting" - if I leave it on last time I drove then it should be on next time ... if it's off, it should stay off ... ??
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
If I turn the car off with the A/C button off, the A/C is off when I restart the car. Same if I leave it on.

But, when the car is started with the A/C light off, I can feel cold air come in even when the light is off. It stops after a minute or so. I assume this is by design.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
If I turn the car off with the A/C button off, the A/C is off when I restart the car. Same if I leave it on.

But, when the car is started with the A/C light off, I can feel cold air come in even when the light is off. It stops after a minute or so. I assume this is by design.
Me too. Definitely feels like the air is on even though the button is off and unlit.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Oki ... AC button on or off is one thing ... but I am talking about the 'Air Flow' ... When I decrease it (press the left side of the air flow button) all the way till the display with temperatures (right & left) and the intensity shuts off (effectively turning off all the air flow/ventilation) then I am expecting it to stays off next time I drive the car.
But it's not - every time I get back to the car and turn it on the display is on again and the ventilation is back on ... on the lowest intensity level ... Why???
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radims View Post
Oki ... AC button on or off is one thing ... but I am talking about the 'Air Flow' ... When I decrease it (press the left side of the air flow button) all the way till the display with temperatures (right & left) and the intensity shuts off (effectively turning off all the air flow/ventilation) then I am expecting it to stays off next time I drive the car.
But it's not - every time I get back to the car and turn it on the display is on again and the ventilation is back on ... on the lowest intensity level ... Why???
BMW doesn't want you to asphyxiate on your own morning flatulence and turns the ventilation on by default.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
BMW doesn't want you to asphyxiate on your own morning flatulence and turns the ventilation on by default.
... well if I want to "asphyxiate in my own AM flatulence" I believe I should be able to ...

But no, seriously, is it really the default that the ventilation is always on when you start the car?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
... well if I want to "asphyxiate in my own AM flatulence" I believe I should be able to ...

But no, seriously, is it really the default that the ventilation is always on when you start the car?
FWIW, I support your right to die in your own flatulence. In BMW's defense, they may be worried you might be transporting small children whose lungs aren't fully developed.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

It's been my experience it is. When I turn on the ignition without firing up the motor to learn all the electronic goodies while sitting parked. I shut the fan off. When I'm done and kill the power, next cycle it's back on.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 AM

COME ON guys! I am dying here in my own morning flatulence: don't have much time - I need the answer!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM

... observed it for few more days and come to a conclusion that it must be a default setting:

Every time one turns the car on the ventilation will turn on - either at the lowest level (provided it was completely off last time the car was driven) or it will come back to the last setting (if the ventilation was anything but off last time) ...

I must say that this 'default on' after I turn it off the last time is nothing but idiotic ... Two reasons:

1. Why don't I have a choice to have the ventilation set to whatever I want, whenever I want it ... makes absolute no sense ... there is no logical reason, no safety reason, ...
2. In winter it makes even less sense - I obviously don't want the cold air coming in before the engine gets warm - so again I have to turn it off manually when I start the car on ...

If I wouldn't own 2007 E92 335i before (where ventilation was doing exactly what I told it to do), maybe I would feel differently about it. But because of my previous experience with BMW I just don't get this - you might say it is a 'little detail', but that is exactly why it is pissing me off. These 'little details' should be taken care of - such a fine piece of machinery as F30 undoubtedly is shouldn't be littered with such stupid flaws (and I can list few more illogical ones). It creates very 'unpolished' impression of the car and that is unfortunate.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
I was hoping this wasn't true but I'm afraid it is...I even RTFM...
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
25K mi Oct14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Does it do this even when auto clima is on? But then again, I think on restart, the auto clima is turned on.

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
... observed it for few more days and come to a conclusion that it must be a default setting:

Every time one turns the car on the ventilation will turn on - either at the lowest level (provided it was completely off last time the car was driven) or it will come back to the last setting (if the ventilation was anything but off last time) ...

I must say that this 'default on' after I turn it off the last time is nothing but idiotic ... Two reasons:

1. Why don't I have a choice to have the ventilation set to whatever I want, whenever I want it ... makes absolute no sense ... there is no logical reason, no safety reason, ...
2. In winter it makes even less sense - I obviously don't want the cold air coming in before the engine gets warm - so again I have to turn it off manually when I start the car on ...

If I wouldn't own 2007 E92 335i before (where ventilation was doing exactly what I told it to do), maybe I would feel differently about it. But because of my previous experience with BMW I just don't get this - you might say it is a 'little detail', but that is exactly why it is pissing me off. These 'little details' should be taken care of - such a fine piece of machinery as F30 undoubtedly is shouldn't be littered with such stupid flaws (and I can list few more illogical ones). It creates very 'unpolished' impression of the car and that is unfortunate.
You are wrong on both counts.

1. It is a safety concern. Germans are very focused on fresh air to keep the driver alert. I am guessing they also want the system to run to clear windows (if it has to). Our cars are rather well sealed. Did you notice the fan speed changes with vehicle speed?? That is done to compensate for pressure differences. I read it in one of the service manuals.

2. If you read the manual, you would understand that the system doesn't start blowing air until the engine is warm enough to produce warm air. Pay attention next time. Let it do it's thing. This car actually warms up VERY quickly to boot.

The system is automatically doing everything for you By trying to over think it, you are making more problems for yourself. The auto climate system is very advanced and rather impressive. It will even take actions to prevent fogging windows before the fog is even visible.

I still don't see any reason why there is ever a need to shut the thing off under normal conditions. The only time I have shut it off is if I turn the car on to check tire pressure (windows down) or check the display or something. In that situation I am not driving. Other than that, if I am driving, it is on.