Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 525i
Quickest Way to Dump Car?

*Not sure if this is the right place. My bad if it isn't.

This might be slightly humorous if you paid attention to my last post.

I literally just bought a car last week. 1991 525i, 260k miles. Had it checked out and everything looks good. Minor sensor issue but we're good now.

Now I might be forced to move out of state and I wouldn't want to take the car.

My question:

What would be the quickest way to get rid of a car? I know you can part it out but is there a faster way? I'd obviously take a loss on it but if I have to move back it'd be less than a weeks notice so I'd have to either ditch the car along the road or try to get something for it.

Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Don't ditch it. Donate it to one of the charities that accept cars. You'll do a good deed and get a tax deduction from it.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
+1 on Donation.

Another option is to call around to salvage yards. I'm sure more than a few of them will give you a little cash for a running e34.

3rd option is Craigslist. Price it low enough and your phone won't stop ringing.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
3rd option is Craigslist. Price it low enough and your phone won't stop ringing.
^^ This is the best first try method, with donation being the fallback plan.

One comment though - price it aggressively for quick sale but don't necessarily tell folks up front of your situation else they might take advantage and offer even less knowing you're desperate.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Here in Cali the state will buy any "junker" from you for $1000 but you do have to file some simple paperwork and then wait for your confirmation. Think we waited just over 2 weeks? We turned in my partner's rattletrap 1995 Nissan Altima, with broken odometer and mystery mileage, last Saturday. Didn't take too long once at the "dismantler." Left with a $1000 check. Back in late August when I almost bought a VW Jetta SportWagen diesel, the dealer made big deal out of being super generous on the Altima trade-in of offering $200. We didn't know about the Cali *****back program so we almost went for it, but someone was watching out for me and we decided we needed to wait a bit. Ended up at the BMW dealership...But when gas prices went sky high recently in cali, and diesel was less than regular, I almost wondered if I shouldn't have gotten the VW...

You can Google "Voluntary Accelerated vehicle retirement." Love that name. Car has to be at least driveable enough to get it on the dismantler's lot and on the scale. There was a dude with another Altima there who had to call AAA to start his car right in front of the scale.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 525i
You guys are amazing, really.

Thanks again for all your posts. "Voluntary Accelerated vehicle retirement" program obviously sounds pretty enticing! I'm not sure what I'd price a car like this at so its probably my best option.

Waiting for the results on the transmission to see how extensive the damage may be. Again, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Here in Cali the state will buy any "junker" from you for $1000 but you do have to file some simple paperwork and then wait for your confirmation. Think we waited just over 2 weeks? We turned in my partner's rattletrap 1995 Nissan Altima, with broken odometer and mystery mileage, last Saturday. Didn't take too long once at the "dismantler." Left with a $1000 check. Back in late August when I almost bought a VW Jetta SportWagen diesel, the dealer made big deal out of being super generous on the Altima trade-in of offering $200. We didn't know about the Cali *****back program so we almost went for it, but someone was watching out for me and we decided we needed to wait a bit. Ended up at the BMW dealership...But when gas prices went sky high recently in cali, and diesel was less than regular, I almost wondered if I shouldn't have gotten the VW...

You can Google "Voluntary Accelerated vehicle retirement." Love that name. Car has to be at least driveable enough to get it on the dismantler's lot and on the scale. There was a dude with another Altima there who had to call AAA to start his car right in front of the scale.
Just catching up with this thread, a little late.

Never heard about this program. Last year I sold my old car for $900 to my detail shop to use as a shop car. It needed a new steering rack which they took care of. So I would have made a little more money selling it to the state instead! OTOH, when I go to the detailer it's always nice to see my car still alive and being well used.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

Never heard about this program. Last year I sold my old car for $900 to my detail shop to use as a shop car. It needed a new steering rack which they took care of. So I would have made a little more money selling it to the state instead! OTOH, when I go to the detailer it's always nice to see my car still alive and being well used.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post

Junking used car may not be the best choice but it's a lot better than recycling, indeed. Junking does pay better. Junked a very old car of mine and it had a quick extra dough in my wallet. well, at least I got something out of a very depreciated car.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to annarocco39
Mein Auto: bmw
I wouldn't want to take the car.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
If there is a CarMax near you, I'd see what they would give you.

http://www.carmax.com/enus/we-*****c...our-offer.html
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Years back I tossed my wife's old Honda onto CL and was sold in minutes. I was getting so many emails that I had to pull the ad within half an hour. Think I got $750 for it, which is what I asked. Transmission was dead, needed a cat, and a bunch of other high dollar items.