Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Talking Sad that I no longer need a DIY manual to take apart the door!

Just took apart the door and removed yet another broken door handle mechanism. Can't believe how often you have to take apart the doors on the X5. Maybe BMW would hire me for my experience.....
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
What breaks? its may second X5 and never had to work on doors....Ok except plastic hangers for shades....... so it must be darn Texas weather....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
What breaks? its may second X5 and never had to work on doors....Ok except plastic hangers for shades....... so it must be darn Texas weather....
+1 Seven years and 100K miles in my 2004 3.0 plus another year in the replacement 2004 4.8is- both with shades. Broke one exterior door handle in the 3.0 at about 65K. No other problems.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E53 X5 4.4 LPG
I'm assuming its the door carrier? I'm on my second fix (drivers door went a year ago) the rear off side passenger door, got the part, just need a bit of time to do the job.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
maybe it is internal door handle?
Now I remember the case when in my wifes 740 old men broke internal handle on rear door as he tried to open locked doors with single handle pull....
If doors locks automatically and people don't remember that you need to unlock them with button or pull handle 2x to open the door - they indeed can break it... We drive BMWs for ages so always before I stop the car I push the Unlock button - specially if I have guests.... everybody in close and extended family by now knows how to open BMW doors - pull the fricking handle 1-st time GENTLY to unlock and second time to open the door (or they are risking their life as breaking my car is not tolerated LOL)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porando View Post
Probably more like the darn kids yanking on the door. I am on my second external door handle mechanism. The bracket that holds the spring tensioned shaft broke on the driver door 2 years ago and now the driver rear door. Also earlier this winter the rear passenger window dropped luckily it just came unscrewed not a new motor or anything but that door is really difficult to open so I am sure it will need a new mechanism soon too. Fearfully of my driver window every time I put it down all the way it pops when going back up. I don't want to have to replace the whole unit so I guess I am trying to ignore it and not roll down the window all the way....
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
Popping noise in the door is the sign of broken clip

Hello,

I 'm a new member here, but I come here to read often.

I heard a popping noise on the front passenger side door on my 2001 X5 when I opened the window all the way down, it stuck down. So I got my winodw back up and left it alone; thought that I never have to use it.
One day I was in the parking lot at work, a friend walked by and I rolled the window all the way down. Guess what? The window was stuck down. It was raining on that day. Yes, it was a mess.

I took it the BMW and they want $280.00 plus parts, and they could not work on that day. So they give me an appointment to come back in.

When I got home, did a search on this site. I found a step by step instruction of how to remove the door panel and to fix the clips. The 1st door took me about 2 hrs, but 2nd, 3rd and 4th door just like walking in the park. It took about 1/2 time and saved me some money.

I greatly appreciate everyone here who shares the knowledge and the expereince.
Thank you all!
knkox5
Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
hey, what is the trick for the center clip? i got all the perimeter ones cleared, but not the center one right above the door handle. Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmbombr View Post
hey, what is the trick for the center clip? i got all the perimeter ones cleared, but not the center one right above the door handle. Thanks
It's a screw behind the 'ABS' nameplate. It's been a long time since I removed one, but I think that is it. There is another screw behind the black cover of the interior door handle.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i
thanks for the reply. I found the screws you refer to. I however was looking for the trick to the center clip of the entire door pannel, its just above the door handle. After popping off all the perimeter plastic clips and the three screws there is a center clip. Intuitively I tried pulling on the pannel, inward toward the interior of the car, however it would not budge, the trick is to pull the door pannel UP, verticaly, it slides off this clip.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Just took apart the door and removed yet another broken door handle mechanism. Can't believe how often you have to take apart the doors on the X5. Maybe BMW would hire me for my experience.....
I am having the same issue , can't open the driver side door from the outside. Do you have instructions? If so would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks Rich
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5
driver door handle...

I wish someone had some nice instructions and even a couple pics so I wouldn't be worried as much about trying to replace my broken door handle. Can anybody help me? I'm a pretty good mechanic on my 89' and 92' mercedes, but a lil hesitant to start taking loose this door.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 AM

This is what I used my first time. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

One trick I found when it comes to the Allen wrench removing the housing made it easier to remove the screw.