Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D Luxury 2012(62)
Problems with Idrive and Album Artwork

I have a new BMW 320 with iDrive.

I have attached my iPod Touch and the iDrive plays music fine. However, only 50% of the album artwork displays on the iDrive, but ALL the tracks have embedded artwork added via MP3Tag, so don't understand why only some of them display....anyone got any ideas?.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Just transferred a few albums to a run of the mill USB Stick (2GB) plug into the USB slot on the BMW and as if by magic all album artwork is there.

so much for my iPod, guess it's some wonderful iTunes related software issue or something.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
It's an old iPod/iTunes bug, nothing to do with BMW.

Do a full Restore on your iPod in iTunes (this will also give you the latest firmware). Re-sync the songs back onto the iPod. Done.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's an old iPod/iTunes bug, nothing to do with BMW.

Do a full Restore on your iPod in iTunes (this will also give you the latest firmware). Re-sync the songs back onto the iPod. Done.

BJ
Thanks BJ I will give this a try tonight and see if it works for the iPhone, if not, then will simply get a larger USB and download everything to that as it seems to work. thanks for the reply.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I have the opposite problem. My iPod Touch works great via USB in the center console with all my album art. The tracks I tried to download to my car via the glove box USB do not show the album art unfortunately.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 AM

BJ thanks for your help.

Did what you said last night and hey presto I now have the album art showing on the iDrive. appreciate it.

I'm not sure on the USB in the Glove Box, mine doesn't seem to work at all, but think it's the model I have doesn't support it (BMW 320D Luxury Model. 2012).
Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshire_bee View Post
BJ thanks for your help.

Did what you said last night and hey presto I now have the album art showing on the iDrive. appreciate it.
Happy to help, glad it worked.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshire_bee View Post
BJ thanks for your help.

I'm not sure on the USB in the Glove Box, mine doesn't seem to work at all, but think it's the model I have doesn't support it (BMW 320D Luxury Model. 2012).
USB in the glove box is only to import/export data be it music or your profiles to take to another BMW like a loaner. Profiles stores information about your seat positioning, mirrors, etc

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I have the opposite problem. My iPod Touch works great via USB in the center console with all my album art. The tracks I tried to download to my car via the glove box USB do not show the album art unfortunately.
That's SOP.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM
xDriver

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport Line
I did a search and couldn't find the answer to my question, but figured I'd try resurrecting this similar thread and see if anyone might be able to help me out - my problem fits the title of this thread, but a different question from the OP.

I use an iPhone 3Gs as a dedicated device for music in my F30 328i. It's connected via USB. Prior to putting it in the car, I did a full restore and updated to the latest OS and then loaded it with music and made a few playlists.

For a few weeks, all went well. Now, whenever I turn the car on, the album artwork is displayed for the first song in the playlist, but then that album art stays up for every subsequent song in the list (this is a playlist with multiple albums/artists on shuffle, so the art should change with each song, which is what it was doing until a few days ago).

Any ideas as to what's going on or how I can fix it.

(On a side note, is there any way to turn the shuffle feature on/off from iDrive, or can I only do that on the iPhone itself?)

| 2013 BMW xDrive | Sport Line | Sapphire Black | Dakota Black/Red Leather |
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. 328xi View Post
I did a search and couldn't find the answer to my question, but figured I'd try resurrecting this similar thread and see if anyone might be able to help me out - my problem fits the title of this thread, but a different question from the OP.

I use an iPhone 3Gs as a dedicated device for music in my F30 328i. It's connected via USB. Prior to putting it in the car, I did a full restore and updated to the latest OS and then loaded it with music and made a few playlists.

For a few weeks, all went well. Now, whenever I turn the car on, the album artwork is displayed for the first song in the playlist, but then that album art stays up for every subsequent song in the list (this is a playlist with multiple albums/artists on shuffle, so the art should change with each song, which is what it was doing until a few days ago).

Any ideas as to what's going on or how I can fix it.

(On a side note, is there any way to turn the shuffle feature on/off from iDrive, or can I only do that on the iPhone itself?)
For "shuffle", you get to that in iDrive while listening to the iPhone and pushing the Options button which is like a right-click button on a mouse, brings up special features for any mode/screen you're on. On that Options menu is the "random" function which will stick so long as you don't change the Playlist you're listening to. If you change to another Playlist (or Artist, or Album, etc.) just hit Options again and re-enable it.

As for your artwork issue, three potential culprits:

1. If your iPhone is stuffed with songs to the point where you have very little free space on the drive, the artwork can't cache properly. Make sure you have some breathing room with drivespace.

2. Just because you're using an old iPhone as an iPod doesn't mean your phone realizes that. Make sure you've uninstalled all apps, that you've closed them down, and that you've put the phone in Airplane mode. Otherwise, precious resources are being dedicated to some apps running in the background or the multiple antennas for 3G, wi-fi, GPS, and Bluetooth sniffing for a signal connection that will never come.

3. Lastly, while you've updated the iPhone firmware, have you updated the BMW iDrive firmware? Several updates have come through in the past year with several improvements with Apple products. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

BJ

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
xDriver

Thanks - that was very fast and very thorough!

Quote:
For "shuffle", you get to that in iDrive while listening to the iPhone and pushing the Options button which is like a right-click button on a mouse, brings up special features for any mode/screen you're on. On that Options menu is the "random" function which will stick so long as you don't change the Playlist you're listening to. If you change to another Playlist (or Artist, or Album, etc.) just hit Options again and re-enable it. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with the art issue, because thinking back, I believe the art issue started when I started activating shuffle on the phone since I didn't know how to do it via iDrive.

As for your artwork issue, three potential culprits:

1. If your iPhone is stuffed with songs to the point where you have very little free space on the drive, the artwork can't cache properly. Make sure you have some breathing room with drivespace. No issue here, I have about 8GB free on the phone.

2. Just because you're using an old iPhone as an iPod doesn't mean your phone realizes that. Make sure you've uninstalled all apps, that you've closed them down, and that you've put the phone in Airplane mode. Otherwise, precious resources are being dedicated to some apps running in the background or the multiple antennas for 3G, wi-fi, GPS, and Bluetooth sniffing for a signal connection that will never come. Actually did this too, mainly just to free up space, but figured it would have less likelihood to screw anything up

3. Lastly, while you've updated the iPhone firmware, have you updated the BMW iDrive firmware? Several updates have come through in the past year with several improvements with Apple products. http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp Have NOT tried this...so I will look into it.

BJ
If any of the above (or any other things I come across) works, I'll post an update in case anyone else has the same problem...

Last edited by Dr. 328xi; 08-15-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Don't have any problems with album art, but honestly, as soon as I set my iPod touch to play, I always turn the Nav display back on, so even if this was an issue, I don't know if I'd care...
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Don't have any problems with album art, but honestly, as soon as I set my iPod touch to play, I always turn the Nav display back on, so even if this was an issue, I don't know if I'd care...
Same here. The album art is nice eye candy, but the NAV screen is both beautiful and functional, I have it up all the time.

And when I do want to see the album art, it's always in split-screen so that the NAV is present and the upcoming turns and their lane-assist overtake the album art at every critical juncture in the route.

BJ

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
xDriver

Quote:
I keep the screen in split screen mode, so i have the radio/ipod info on the left and the map on the right. (I have a lot of random/obscure music on my computer, and I put a bunch of it on my ipod to "rediscover" some of it...so much lik the nav tells me where i'm going, the album art tells me what i'm listening to...)

Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
I keep the screen in split screen mode, so i have the radio/ipod info on the left and the map on the right. (I have a lot of random/obscure music on my computer, and I put a bunch of it on my ipod to "rediscover" some of it...so much lik the nav tells me where i'm going, the album art tells me what i'm listening to...)
I stopped using split mode. I really don't know why, but I always know what I am listening to...
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM
xDriver

Quote:
I stopped using split mode. I really don't know why, but I always know what I am listening to...
Yeah...I may have inadvertently made myself sound a little dumb there.

Just happen to have a lot of random one-hit-wonders and local bands from college on my phone, so I remember the song, but not necessarily who it is.

Mostly, just want to get the right album up on the screen though - so hopefully the tips above will fix things for me.

If not, I guess I'll just go full screen map like you guys...

Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM
xDriver

So, I did not update the iDrive system yet...but I did power the iPhone off and on and then used the random setting from the iDrive interface rather than shuffle on the phone itself, and the artwork is working correctly now. Not sure if it was the difference maker, but it seems to prefer to be controlled by iDrive rather than the phone itself...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
So, I did not update the iDrive system yet...but I did power the iPhone off and on and then used the random setting from the iDrive interface rather than shuffle on the phone itself, and the artwork is working correctly now. Not sure if it was the difference maker, but it seems to prefer to be controlled by iDrive rather than the phone itself...
LOL, you should have started there.

Once sync'd, iDrive does all the interfacing and controlling. Your iPhone is merely a drive source at that point. Put the iPhone in the armrest console, close the door, and never open it.

BJ

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: UDMs
how do you get nav map on left, radio/music on right split screen? I have NBT Nav and can get maps on both sides, or radio/music on left and map on right
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM
xDriver

Quote:
LOL, you should have started there.

Once sync'd, iDrive does all the interfacing and controlling. Your iPhone is merely a drive source at that point. Put the iPhone in the armrest console, close the door, and never open it.

BJ
Yep, that was always the plan. Now it's just an expensive thumb drive with a glass screen...

Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, that was always the plan. Now it's just an expensive thumb drive with a glass screen...
Whoa Nellie.

The most important aspect of an iPod (or iPhone) in the center console is it's easy and seamless integration with iTunes. Playlists, playcounts, genres, tagging, album artwork, wi-fi sync, downloadable content, no thumb-drive can give you such an easy way to organize and access your music collection.

BJ

Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 AM
xDriver

Quote:
Whoa Nellie.

The most important aspect of an iPod (or iPhone) in the center console is it's easy and seamless integration with iTunes. Playlists, playcounts, genres, tagging, album artwork, wi-fi sync, downloadable content, no thumb-drive can give you such an easy way to organize and access your music collection.

BJ
I know. It was a joke. It's great having the functionality of the iPhone for my music and keeps my current phone in my pocket to use with Bluetooth if I need it. Nice to make use of the "obsolete" phone as well.