Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: E70 diesel
First x5 problem on first day. Please advise on pano roof

Hello all, i recently purchased an x5 diesel for my wife, a 2009 with 72k miles. It has the extended platinum coverage to 100k. While driving it down to florida from ny, I activated the tilt on the pano roof and now the drivers side rear is stuck in the vent position of the small pano panel.When I press the button, it attempts to go down, but raises again. Pulled over, finally saw what went on, and used a screw driver to get it down. Got home, ran it through a car wash and noticed soap suds on the inside of the rear pano panel. I read the warranty and under no section does it say that the sunroof is not covered under the platinum protection. It does say that the platinum package covers the sunroof motor and gear. Does anyone know if the warranty covers this and is there a repair kit for the pano roof? I feel so bummed out that the pano went out within 8 hours of owning it (was working fine when I inspected the vehicle)
Thanks,
Ron
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
The best bet when the roof won't close or something is try to reset it. There are some threads about this around the fest, search is ur friend. In regards to the leak, either u have clogged drains or u failing pano cassette (BMW roofs during 04-09 years were known to be leak prown). Regardless get it checked ASAP and repaired, the pano roof that aren't having issues with the water drains historically have their entire pano roof cassette replaced ($$$$$)

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM

From what I saw when I looked, the drivers side triangular piece was not retracting back, that's why I had to use the screw driver, to manually push it back. Would resetting it remedy this? I just don't want to open it again and have the same thing happen.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 PM

If you don't feel comfortable, don't bother trying. But for future issues, just simply reset, no need to break out the screwdriver unless the reset does not resolve the issue. Btw I wouldn't mention u used a
Screw driver on the pano caz they might blame u for the repair.

Anyways similar experience. I was driving
My 08 x3.
Symptoms included,
i had to push down every 2 inches the shade an sunroof opened (15 clicks until the whole thing opened or
Closed)
I couldn't close the shade all the way
Tilted the roof, then couldn't close it
Anti pinch kept coming on

Tried the reset, and I was golden.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention, the affected side doesn't go down all the way down like the ok side. When I came out and looked, the affected side was sitting lower than the fine side after the anti pinch kicked in. That's why I don't think it's a resetting issue (was your doing this same thing too?) it was either whip out the screw driver or face the rain storm I was driving into. Do you think the platinum coverage will cover this?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
First, dont get into a detailed discussion of what you did with a screwdriver or resetting it when you talk to BMW service...keep it simple.

IMO, the platinum warranty WILL cover the sunroof.

But really, why not just bring it in and have them write it up. If there is anything more that $0 on the estimate, ask them why. I'd want clarity on this up front..this is the dealers' call, at least the estimate..if they are resistant, I'd want a long disucssion of why and under what circumstances they think the Plat plan WON'T cover it.

Bring it in, keep us posted
Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 PM

I hope I don't get hit with a diagnostic fee
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Usually they will say, "warranty should cover it but just in case I'll put in $_00." You only get charged this if the warranty will not cover it.

In my opinion the only thing that could cause denail is if they say 'it was damaged due to abuse"

Do you have a copy of the platinum policy you could post? Not the website description but the actual policy?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: X6
Give the whole area and mechanism a clean and a squirt with silicone spray. That fixed a similar problem on my 07 325i touring which I owned.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Wow after reading the post, without rushing, I realized, that my earlier post and advice was misguided. If the side of the pano, rear side is in tilt, and the other side is not, thats a serious issue, which needs dealer attention (only saying dealer is caz you have warranty). I do stand by my earlier advice, of a) dont tell them you did anything with a screwdriver, b) make sure they perform a water leak test on the roof, too see what you complained about. the roof is pita after say a couple XX,xXx miles, but a damn beauty when you initially get it.

Why does this matter?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
See this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post6870405

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
This fixes the problem, have done this myself couple times.
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thats what i did in the X3, solved the probs right away. But I dont know, the OP seems to have the sunroof, get misaligned, which seems inline with debris getting stuck under the pano track.

Why does this matter?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Not to take away from the OP's thread, but hows the X so far gridolan. What have you coded so far?

Why does this matter?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
I couldn't be happier about the X5. It's by far the best BMW and the best car I've ever owned, period. It's amazing ... the power delivery is much better than the F10, it honestly feels just as quick because the delay in throttle response when you're on the road is just not there like it is in the F10. And Adaptive Drive ... oh, man, I can't praise this enough. It's the best suspension setup in any SUV/SAV I've ever seen. My car corners flat, it is amazing. And the legit 20-way Multi-Contour Seats hug you in a way that the F10 doesn't anymore because BMW took that functionality away (the side bolsters). It's a vastly superior car. And the steering? True BMW.

I honestly worry about what's next for BMW. I hope they fix the EPS with the F10's LCI next year. They need to improve steering feel. And they also need to get a handle on their accelerator/throttle delays. BMW has clearly baked in a throttle delay to save on fuel, it's so obvious. They went through all the trouble in the world to not have turbo lag, then they do this? Crazy.

Finally, I haven't coded anything yet. It's much less transparent what you need to do to code an E70, the forums are not useful at all, the files are hidden and no one lets you have it. It's been painful and frustrating. Unless you know someone?

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)