Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X35i Sport Activity
2011 E70 Computer Mods?

This is a repost from my "New Member Introductions" post yesterday:
----------
Hello All,

Just joined the forum, and am in desparate need of advice. I own a 2011 X5 x35i Sport Activity which I use as a regular driver (~15000 miles/year). This is my first BMW, and I'm sorry to say I've been pretty disappointed with it. Once it's rolling, it's plenty fun to drive, but two major design flaws usually have me red-in-the-face mad before I ever get to that point. First, the accelleration lag is the worst of any vehicle I've ever experienced. The delay between hitting the gas and being pushed into the seat is on the order of two seconds. I seriously have to plan my accellerations in advance just to enter traffic. The second is the rediculous safety systems. There are numerous situtations where the computer will reject my request to put the vehicle in gear. Some of this is mandated, but most are at the discretion of BMW designers. For the "ultimate driving machine," I would expect more emphasis on the driver.

So my question is this: are there any E70 modifications out there that will solve these problems? I can live with the safety systems, but the accelleration lag will have me selling the vehicle soon if I can't find improvement.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Phil
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
I feel you on the 2 second delay. I hated that also. There is a cure for that....its rather expensive though. I did it on my X5, but not for the 2 second throttle response delay you speak of. I did it cause I wanted more horse power. The benifit to that was crisper throttle response. Now as soon as i touch the pedal, the truck takes off.....you know, like normal cars. This is how it should have been in the first place. The mod im speaking of is the Dinan stage 2 software package for your vehicle which costs upwards of $2,200. Im telling you about this solution cause it worked for me. There is a less expensive solution, but im not familar with it. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. Its called the Sprint Booster throttle enhancer. It sells for around $300 I cant remember now, but I saw a place that was selling it with a 30 day free trial and free shipping. A newer version even has a sensitivity adjustable switch. You can probably google it. Whatever you do....keep me informed and let me know which way you go on this. Im curious to know the outcome.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Regarding Sprint Booster I've had it and returned it on my E60. As I have said before on another forum..

Read the attached in depth, but the short of it is that the Sprint Booster is a little amplifier, nothing more. It increases the signal from the pedal box by about 30%, meaning that the ECU thinks you're pressing the pedal about 30% harder than you really are. You're effectively using a megaphone to make your will known to the committee.

This would definitely make the throttle feel more responsive since you're making a smaller amount of right hoof count for more, but know this:

For $300 you get:

* A pedal that feels more responsive because the gain has been turned up,
* A pedal where the top third of the range of motion doesn't do anything since you've multiplied the signal by 30% and max it out by 2/3 throttle,
* And, the kicker, the same thing you would have gotten if you pressed the pedal a bit harder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SprintBooster.pdf (576.1 KB, 70 views)
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
I'd look at the Dinan, the other thing you could do is check with the dealer to see if their are any newer DME updates for your X5. There's been issues with the N55 flashes that pretty much kill the throttle response.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Sounds like there is something wrong with your car.

I've never heard of a car not shifting into gear for 'safety reasons'...did your (lying, make up crap because they are stupid and lazy) dealer tell you this?

Make them put your complains in writing ON THE WORK ORDER, **AND** make them write out their weak explanations in the repair document...THEN go to BMW. If they were to write 'car does not shift into drive due to safey' or 'Two second lag is normal", you'd have something to press with BMW. I'll bet their responses are of the "operates normally at this time' and 'cannot replicate'....

I would FIRST make sure it is functioning properly before modifying it and eliminating any dealer help forever.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post

For $300 you get:

* A pedal that feels more responsive because the gain has been turned up,
* And, the kicker, the same thing you would have gotten if you pressed the pedal a bit harder.
Kzang....... u funny...

Last edited by TurboBusa; 05-23-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 AM

I'd heard of Dinan before, but last I checked they hadn't developed the mod yet for the x35i. I'll give it another look in case that's changed. As to the safety systems, try backing up with the door cracked open and your seat belt off. The vehicle will actually start moving in reverse, and then kindly shift into park and clamp your head in the door. I have a similar story dropping a fast food order between the driver's door and the drive-through window. Try to imagine the looks on the faces in my rear-view mirror as I inched ther vehicle back & forth a couple times trying to zero-in on the food location with the door closed!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Sounds like there is something wrong with your car.

I've never heard of a car not shifting into gear for 'safety reasons'...did your (lying, make up crap because they are stupid and lazy) dealer tell you this?

Make them put your complains in writing ON THE WORK ORDER, **AND** make them write out their weak explanations in the repair document...THEN go to BMW. If they were to write 'car does not shift into drive due to safey' or 'Two second lag is normal", you'd have something to press with BMW. I'll bet their responses are of the "operates normally at this time' and 'cannot replicate'....

I would FIRST make sure it is functioning properly before modifying it and eliminating any dealer help forever.
If it counts, I would second that. My 2013 SA is pretty responsive, no lag, I feel direct link between the pedal and acceleration. It was the same with other bmw's I test drove before ordering mine. So it is some sort of an issue, it is not normal. Regarding shifting gears - I totally miss that. What kind of safety issues, any examples? Traction and stability control can change/reduce amount of power delivered to your wheels, and in some tight corners I felt the car hesitating on exit b/c it might think I am about to loose it But the gears will shift unless rpms are too low or too high for that particular ratio. So I am not sure what is going on, press them to fix it, and as many people suggest - make sure to document the issue and the responses in writing, always. With such an expensive toy you have to be a bit of a lawyer to protect your, hmm, "investment". Good luck!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
If it counts, I would second that. My 2013 SA is pretty responsive, no lag, I feel direct link between the pedal and acceleration.
I agree as well, I haven't experienced any lag, delayed response when I want my X5 to go.
I've not experienced this on my previous BMW turbo car as well but I have read other owners having this issue.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM

My year of the x35i was the first with the high-output 6 cylinder (taughted to be as fast as the previous year's V8) and 8-speed transmission. It wouldn't surprise me, therefore, if they still needed to work out the kinks in the control system, and summarily fixed it in a latter edition. I'll take your advice and talk to the dealer first about a software update. If that doesn't work, then it's off to Dinan for a mod. Thanks, Everyone, for the brilliant feedback! Now if I can only get my throttle to be as responsive... ;-)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammphil View Post
Thanks, Everyone, for the brilliant feedback! Now if I can only get my throttle to be as responsive... ;-)
Well, to be fare it did take us longer than 2 seconds, so you might want to rethink your last wish
Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

FYI-

I seem to recall reading that BMWNA may have an internal SB with dealers that requires them to 'turn away' customers multiple times before they will take serious (ie expensive) actions.

A
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Would you consider trading the 35 for a 50? That may be the hp/torque/speedy feeling you are truly looking for ( if money is no option, of course). Few thousand dollars difference once you consider the cost of the Dinan.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think I know what the OP means.

For example if your door is open, the computer not let you shift from P to D; if you're in D and rolling less than 5 mph or something and you open the door, the computer will shift to P which very likely to damage the transmission; etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0i
I recently bought an '08 3.0si and I have the exact same 2 second delay your talking about. I'll ask the dealer as well. it still has one year of CPO left on it.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0i
They took my key, inserted it to a device, and after a minute or so told me the car was current on everything. It's going in for an iPod dock though and they are going to look at my complaint.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
I feel you on the 2 second delay. I hated that also. There is a cure for that....its rather expensive though. I did it on my X5, but not for the 2 second throttle response delay you speak of. I did it cause I wanted more horse power. The benifit to that was crisper throttle response. Now as soon as i touch the pedal, the truck takes off.....you know, like normal cars. This is how it should have been in the first place. The mod im speaking of is the Dinan stage 2 software package for your vehicle which costs upwards of $2,200. Im telling you about this solution cause it worked for me. There is a less expensive solution, but im not familar with it. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. Its called the Sprint Booster throttle enhancer. It sells for around $300 I cant remember now, but I saw a place that was selling it with a 30 day free trial and free shipping. A newer version even has a sensitivity adjustable switch. You can probably google it. Whatever you do....keep me informed and let me know which way you go on this. Im curious to know the outcome.
Good info here...I'm with the OP about the pedel delay. For a 60K vehicle, I have a 10 y/o car with 250K miles on it that drives better!.

I've seen this Dinan software mod, but can you do it yourself? What's involved? It's looks like software that you need to install onto a laptop, then communicate with your vehicle? But it does work in your opinion? Does it void any warranties?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x5 View Post
Does it void any warranties?
Only if BMW finds out. And despite what ANYONE says, they can.