Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i
My 2005 BMW 530i won't start.

The electrical system seems to be fine. The lights and the radio and the iDrive are working with no problems. I used jumper cables and I rolled the car and popped the clutch (yes, it's a manual transmission), nothing. I had it towed to the dealer and they said it was because the battery had been replaced by my local car mechanic (who specializes in German cars BTW). I am being asked to pay a $1,000 repair bill. Has anyone else had a BMW malfunction because the battery was replaced by a non-dealer?
Ads by Google
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Though your description is minimal, battery replacement is not a complicated matter, particularly if the indie shop specializes in BMW's. I'm skeptical of the dealer in this matter. It obviously ran after the indy shop did the job, and why it should suddenly fail a few days later doesn't make much sense in the context of a new battery.

First, ask the dealer for copies of their diagnostic printouts (you paid for them, after all, if they actually did more that throw an opinion at you and actually electronically diagnosed the problem). Confirm that the problem can be directly related to the "cause" they proposed. Ask them to be specific on how the repair relates to the problem, and why it costs what they propose. Tell them to support the exact fix they propose, and why. Have them step you through it. Ask to talk to the person who did the diagnostic, and have that person step through it. If they refuse any of this entirely reasonable process, you can be concerned you're being scammed. Follow if a, then b, then c process with them. Wrong battery? Why? Bad install? Why?

If the problem can be clearly related to a battery replacement problem, talk to the indy shop about it regarding a fix. If it's a real indy shop, and not a corner garage that hangs a BMW sign out front next to their Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lamborghini (and Tesla....) souvenir signs, they'll be interested in keeping your business. Of course, if they really know nothing, the battery could be spec'd for a '04 Chrysler or some such.

Also, view this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316981 There are reasons for dead battery probs. Not clear if it relates.

Good luck.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 02-28-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Mein Auto: 318CI 5201 530D
I just bought my 2006 530D on Friday 2nd July 2010. I drove it around for 6 hours. Started and stopped it. Got in and out of the car. Even put deisel in it so i had to take the key out of the iginition to fill it. Its the plastic chunk type key instead of the normal/typical plastic and metal one if that makes any difference? When i got home that night, i went to put a CD into the front loader and tried to start the car and it won't start. There was no sign of the battery being low. I went through the Owner Manual till nearly 2am that morning until i fell asleep trying to see if i was doing something wrong? I left it over night and tried the following morning and it didn't start. I then called the Garage to see if i was doing something wrong but considering i have had 7 BMW's before this and mainly, 3 series manual and even ordered and bought a brand new Automatic 06, 3 series in 2006 with 20,000 of extra's, i thought i knew a thing or 2 about new and old Bimmers? BTW, if you die and go to heavan, BMW do the sound system there so you won't be disappointted, believe me :-). Symtoms so far. AA guy said the battery voltage was 0.2Volts lower then it should be but should still start. The lights still comes on in the dash and externally. The Battery light is not showing though? Handbrake and yellow engine block, I assume indicating that the engine is warming up the deisel jets? Brake paddle is not depressing at all? Car won't start as a result. Its just sitting there looking great and won't start. I'm nearly close to tears :-( Anybody got any similar stories or helpig hands to cure my problem? Since the car has died, or won't start, its saying that the reversing light is broekn which it was and since been replaced but still says it is and also that the side window is open, which it isn't which indicates to me that the Main CPU maybe faulty? It drove like a dream before this and now, Nothing????? I've lost the weekend but obviously want to get back on the road in this brilliant car ASAP. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Siers; 07-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
I had the same problem, and had it on on truck to BMW, only to be embaraced as it was only flooded. The workshop manager cranked the engine until I thought that the battery will die, but it started and no problem further. The truck carry cost the same as a tank of fuel.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 318CI 5201 530D
Siers

Thanks Pensioner.

How do you crank the engine?

Regards,

Siers
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW 530i
Johnnyt5

Hello joining the BMW world for those having battery issues with there 530i I do know that there is a problem that they suffer from which is the ground wire in the back of the trunk where the battery is located has some sort of smart relay attached to it that controls how much charge comes out of the battery that goes haywire and starts to drain the battery I had this issue and fixed it myself purchased the wire that come with that link and installed it never had a problem again the part was 250.00 but it fixed the problem hope I was of help.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2004 black/black sp
Sorry to open this tread.

Two Qs !!

1- what was the cable part called??
( IBS ?? ))

2- did you do an Amperage reading to determine the battery was draining? If so what was it ??