Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Total loss

79 year old man blew through a red light Saturday night and T-boned me. My car was the least of my worries as I had a full car of friends (including a 9-month pregnant friend with twins) in the passenger seat nearest the point of impact. He got a red light citation from the cop who responded to the accident and several witnesses are on file that corroborate the story.

The BMW kept us safe with all of its airbags (it has knee airbags, I never knew). Side-curtain airbags are a must in any car if you value your life.

The insurance company just took my car from the tow truck company yesterday so I will be in contact with them regarding the outcome (almost certain it's a total loss). The car was paid off so they should just cut me a check.

Anyone with experience dealing with total losses and insurance companies...am I entitled what I paid for the car or what it is currently worth? Had about 5,000 miles on it which I already told the insurance company about...

RIP.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
usually you get the current value of the car, though i would imagine it wont be much off of what you paid. that still sucks though.

good to know you are not hurt. and for everyone else good to know BMWs can take a beating and protect their passengers
Old 10-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Like what hans007 said...
I wish though that the person who totaled the car would pay for the cost of tax, tag, title, loss of value, etc... most likely yes if there was a lawsuit.
What matters most is your health, I hope all of you are ok...don't ignore other symptoms post accident.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
23K mi Aug14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
Sorry man. Glad you all are ok. Regroup and hopefully you are able to purchase such an awesome BMW again.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM

How will they know about all of the options I had added on to the vehicle? Maybe they will ask me and I haven't given them enough time...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
The insurance company will give you what the car is worth, not what you paid for it. They'll give you fair market value based off what other cars in your area are selling for with what your car has. An adjuster will look over your car and run your VIN to see what your car has as far as options, etc.
I do encourage you to fight for what you feel the car is worth however as that can sway the adjuster somewhat. Also, if you have added anything aftermarket, tell the adjuster about it and give him the costs of those items as well.

Sorry about your loss, and like others have said, dont ignore your body when it comes to recovery. I suggest you get checked out by your doctor ASAP and then any costs incurred you demand the insurance company from the guy who hit you pay for. Your passengers should do that as well.

Last edited by Abspara; 10-31-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Glad you and your entire party are OK. Doesn't matter how much you're upside down, a hell of a lot better than not walking away from something like that...

That BMW did its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverOddOrEven View Post
How will they know about all of the options I had added on to the vehicle? Maybe they will ask me and I haven't given them enough time...

I'd goto a dealership and get a copy of your window sticker based off your VIN. Too bad you didnt finance(with gap) or lease, your loss would have been very minimal.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 10-31-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Make a list. They will adjust the price for owner-added options.

FYI for the future: many/most insurance companies offer full-replacement options, at least for the first couple years. Cost around $25/yr for me.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
What's the deal with so many brand new cars getting crashed? Already seen 2 right on this board, and there was the Active 3 test driver crash.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
So thankful to hear you, your pregnant friend and others were protected!!

In your case, with such low mileage and such a short time of ownership the insurance should pay you the full MSRP of your car or at least the full sale price you paid. Their job is to make you whole. In your case the only way to make you whole is to pay to put you back into a new 2013 model. If they balk at that tell them straight up you will pursue legal action against them. They know they will lose that battle and will change their tune post haste. If you need to get your insurance company involved. They should have no problem paying to put you in a new car. Then they can pursue the at fault driver's insurance company in subrogation. You won't have to have any involvement in that.

In Texas the insurance settlement will include tax, title and all other government fees.

Good luck. I hope none of you have any serious, lingering post wreck injuries.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Make a list. They will adjust the price for owner-added options.

FYI for the future: many/most insurance companies offer full-replacement options, at least for the first couple years. Cost around $25/yr for me.
What insurance do you have. I'm interested in that $25/yr for full replacement.
--------------------

OP: glad one everyone is ok. Do go get checked out though. I or rear ended couple months back. Seemed fine at the time. Following days back and neck started hurting.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
In Texas the insurance settlement will include tax, title and all other government fees.
That's good to hear. Do you happen to have a source for that?

I just gave my official recorded statement to the adjuster yesterday and he got most of the statements from my 4 friends that were in the car with me. We haven't so much as mentioned compensation for the vehicle. It would be great if I could get TTL.

There are plenty of lawyers that seem more or less desperate to take on these kinds of cases. I emailed a few and they responded pretty quickly but I never followed up. I guess I want to see how the process goes at first...my insurance has covered all of our injuries so far.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
That's good to hear. Do you happen to have a source for that?
I'm sure finding an official source would not be too hard to find. My source is personal experience on three occasions over more than 34 years as a Texas driver and being a very detail oriented person who pays attention to information like this.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-31-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I echo others here in being thankful for the safety of everyone involved. The safety of you and your passengers is certainly a testament to the BMW being such a well engineered vehicle. As for the insurance, check your contract before you discuss anything regarding the value of your vehicle. The contract will control your insurance company's obligations in this regard. Speaking in the abstract, any new car loses value the moment you drive it off the dealer's lot. So, unless your contract mentions replacement value, or you have GAP insurance, you shouldn't expect to receive the full MSRP/what you paid for the vehicle. In typical circumstances, your vehicle is worth its fair market value the moment before the accident. Good luck with everything!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
I'm sure finding an official source would not be too hard to find. My source is personal experience on three occasions over more than 34 years as a Texas driver and being a very detail oriented person who pays attention to information like this.
You are correct. I deal with total loss on daily basis.

p/s It is referring to " In Texas the insurance settlement will include tax, title and all other government fees."

Last edited by bayoucity; 11-01-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335i M-Sport
Unfortunately I believe the person telling you'll get the price you paid for the car is incorrect. I wish that were the case. Unless you have some special terms, you'll get what the car is worth. That may be full price paid. Maybe you got a stellar deal, but the insurance company's responsibility is to cover you for the value of what was lost. It's not to "make you whole" or buy you a replacement car. I thought this is just common knowledge.

Sorry.

But, the one thing I wanted to add was, any modifications or aftermarket items that the insurance company doesn't know about may not be covered. It appears you have M5 replica wheels. Your policy covers specific items and your quote/cost reflects that. Meaning, if you had $8k HRE wheels, and they were totaled as well, and the insurance company didn't know about them, you're not going to get compensated.

Glad to hear you and your passengers, especially the expecting mother, are uninjured. That is what counts. And, job well done for your departed F30.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
The insurance company is obligated to make you whole, so I would still give them the price you paid for the car and point out you got it recently, with many options and it has very low miles.

They will usually try to make things right... you will have to order a new car though and they won't pay for a rental for 10 weeks while your new car ships in.

Glad everyone is okay. That car did what it was supposed to do in a situation like that.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 12 328i ED & 11 328i ED
I am glad to read that everybody was ok. Scary stuff indeed! As for the car, the good news is BMW will happily sell you another one just like that one. The single most important thing is that the people are safe. Take good care of yourself!

The other carrier will make an initial offer, which will be low. That is simply a number with which to open negotiations. A reasonable demand from you is the purchase price minus a reasonable charge for mileage (figure $.10 a mile). I would not expect to get reimbursed for the cost of upgrades, but you should ask for it anyhow. If at any point in the negotiation process you feel that the other carrier is being unfair, immediately stop speaking with them directly and get legal representation. Be thoughtful with what you say and concede nothing that would allow the other carrier to reduce the fault of their insured. Make sure to keep repeating that fault rests solely with their insured driver. Also be sure to immediately report the accident to your insurance carrier also (if you haven't done so already).

Again it is great to read that you are ok. Good luck resolving this issue!!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
What insurance do you have. I'm interested in that $25/yr for full replacement.
--------------------

OP: glad one everyone is ok. Do go get checked out though. I or rear ended couple months back. Seemed fine at the time. Following days back and neck started hurting.
I have Farmer's (not state farm); might have been $25/6 months, but still.

And after perusing other posts, I note that I was totally remiss in thanking providence and BMW engineering for the op escaping serious injury.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

In your case, with such low mileage and such a short time of ownership the insurance should pay you the full MSRP of your car or at least the full sale price you paid. Their job is to make you whole. In your case the only way to make you whole is to pay to put you back into a new 2013 model. If they balk at that tell them straight up you will pursue legal action against them. They know they will lose that battle and will change their tune post haste. If you need to get your insurance company involved. They should have no problem paying to put you in a new car. Then they can pursue the at fault driver's insurance company in subrogation. You won't have to have any involvement with that.
I stand by this statement 100%. The OP's case falls into a fairly rare category. The vast majority of insurers will pay the full amount to replace the car with a new one in cases such as this without a hassle. I am not a person who makes a habit out of talking out of my butt.

Unless the OP has a major problem getting the at fault driver's insurance company to pay, his insurance company will have nothing to do with handling this property damage claim.

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E92 335ix, '13 S4
Glad you and your passengers are OK.

Now, the tough part....dealing with the old man's insurance company. Some will fight you, some won't.

In this case, they shouldn't fight you. You have a new car that looks to be totalled. Kind of hard with the pics to deny that.

You may, or may not, have injuries that show up somewhere down the line. The insurance company is going to want you to get a physical to make certain you're "OK" right now. But, that doesn't cover any unforeseen problems in the future.

Based on all of that, you want like for like with your car. You're out of pocket should be non-existent. Except, as pointed out, if you special order a car and have to wait 10 weeks to get it. Rental car would not be covered.

They shouldn't, but if the insurance company won't replace your new car with another new car, they're going to try to wait you out. Don't sign anything. Tell them exactly what you want. Let them turn you away. Be sure to keep reminding them of the future physical maladies that may occur. And, tell them you'd prefer not to litigate the issue.

If you move quickly, you put the onus of responsibility for them to move quickly. Assume they'll replace your car with a new one. Have your dealership give you the configuration of your totalled car, and the cost of a new car configured identically. Give that to the insurance company showing you'd like to sign their wavers and replace your car as quickly as possible.

How do I know all of this? It's happened to me before....twice!!!!!!

Both times, I was in the same model year as what the dealer was selling new. First one took 3 months to get a new car (farmers). Fortunately, I had another car to drive so I was in no hurry to settle with them. The 2nd time, it took 2 weeks. Insurance company was a pleasure to work with (State Farm).
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I entitled what I paid for the car or what it is currently worth? Had about 5,000 miles on it which I already told the insurance company about...

You'll receive fair market value, usually an unpleasantly low number vs expectation. Just driving it off the dealer's lot, minutes old, is a significant hit.

However, the other driver's insurance company may be on the hook for cost of replacement. Expect them to cheap out, hoping you'll take the offer. Talk to your insurance company about legal options, as a start.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Modern Jet BK
I totaled a 2010 328i back in August. My fault, my insurance (State Farm). I was worried the settlement would be low. I checked the blue book value and retail was around $25k. I had 49k miles on the car. They gave me $32k for the settlement, which included tax.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Whatever the end result your insurance company offers you, remember you can negotiate.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Whatever the end result your insurance company offers you, remember you can negotiate.
Folks (not just you), the OP's insurance company isn't going to offer him anything. They are not the ones paying the claim. The other driver's insurance company is liable to pay this claim.