Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
X1 xDrive 28i - First Impressions

Valencia Orange BMW X1 xDrive28

We have just taken delivery of our Valencia Orange xDrive28i.

Here is the specification:
xDrive28i
Valencia Orange Metallic
MSport (no paddle shifters)
Ultimate Package
Lighting Package
Sand Beige Nevada Leather
Light Fine Line Wood Trim
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound

This is a well specified car. We were not interested in Satellite (the quality is awful on our 528i and was not worth the money to us) and BMWApps are fun but not particularly useful in our opinion.

Build and Finish:

Extremely good. No obvious flaws in paintwork, internal finishing etc. Everything worked as expected. Doors shut correctly with no binding, sticking or needing to be slammed. The rear tailgate worked smoothly and easily.

Color and Interior:

We are very pleased with the look and feel of the interior colors and the way it matches the exterior. The interior has a nice upscale appearance (unlike the demo which had black with aluminium trim) and is well made. A few hard plastics but generally well thought out and nice to touch. The rear passengers are not so well cared for, but it is adequate (we do not care since that is where our two full size standard poodles will reside).

Front seats are very very good. These are the MSport seats and hold you comfortably. They are not quite as good as the comfort seats in the 528 but they are close. They fit me easily and I am 6' 1" and weigh 220lbs.

The lack of cooling and heating vents for the rear passengers was one of our only negatives when looking at the car originally but we decided we could live with it. The 528i can be used if we need the extra comfort provided by these vents. This is one of the only obvious places that shows where BMW cut cost.

Space in the rear is adequate for 6' passengers, but the space is neither cramped nor generous. We knew this going in of course, so it is not a surprise. The seats are surprisingly comfortable (I tried the back in the demo car with the driver's seat set to my position - I am 6' 1").

The rear compartment area is black, which is a nice 'feature' rather than the sand beige of the rest of the car. This is very practical and was a bonus to us. Sand beige can mark easily if not cared for and we have had X5s in the past where the luggage area is the same color as the rest of the car.

Rear luggage room is more than adequate with rear seats up and large with the seats folded down, although it is not quite flat. Our aforementioned standard poodles (they are tall dogs, their heads can easily rest on a dining room table when they stand) fit nicely.

Electronics:

We are used to iDrive and neither my wife nor I have had any issues using it. It is simple and intuitive to us. The nav system is a smaller screen version of the one in the 528. It works well and easy to setup. Routing is accurate where we live (Austin, Texas).

The HK sound system is very good. Has good firm bass, with excellent mid range and treble which sound clean and relatively color free for a car based system (I am a so called audiophile who is very fussy about his sound systems).

The system pairs easily with the iPhone 5 and 4. A Lightning to USB cable plugs into the console mounted USB socket (not the one in the glove compartment) and worked perfectly allowing us to play our iPhone content showing cover graphics etc. We did not get BMW Apps so there will be no video even when they come out with the iPhone 5 snap in adapter which we will not get since we do not have the dock.

Engine and Transmission:

This engine is amazing. We know it from the 528i where it performs a superb job and is one of the reasons we went for the 28i variant of the X1 (although BMW quote the 35i variant to be almost 1 sec quicker to 60, we could not really feel this when we drove both back to back, in fact the 28i felt considerably more responsive). The 5 series forum does not consider the 528 to be a proper 5 series, but I can tell you that it does a more than adequate job in that car. The engine pulls very strongly and is unfazed by putting 4 people in the car. That low end torque makes it feel like a small diesel. The 8 speed is busy but very fast and keeps this engine on song. A superb combination. Fuel consumption over the first 70 miles or so is around 26 mpg. As the engine beds in, we will start to get better mileage (if our 528 experience is anything to go by).

Start stop works as per the 528 which is to say it is not as smooth or sophisticated as one would expect from a BMW. We have no problems with the concept (anything that saves fuel is a good thing) but when the engine stops or restarts it is done with some body shake and it is rather obvious. Some work needed here.

Handling:

The xDrives have hydraulic steering (the sDrives have electrically assisted steering) and it feels heavier than the electric steering. However it is wonderfully direct and gives a great impression of control that the electric steering does not. The X1 handles like a car and can be thrown in corners with confidence. It handles and feels very well and has better feel than the 528. The X1 is a true driver car and a true BMW. We are very impressed with this car.

Pros:

Beautiful build and finish
Excellent engine and transmission
Interior fit and finish
Superb handling and performance

Cons:

Obvious cost cutting for rear passengers
Lack of power rear hatch option
Start stop poorly executed (rough start and stop)

X1 xDrive 28i - First Impressions

BMW X1 Sand Beige Nevada Leather

BMW X1 Interior

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i

Last edited by tim330i; 11-19-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Thanks for the update. Happy driving!

DeeDee
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
That is a great review, totally agree. This is my first BMW and while my intent was to get some good snow driving out of the Xdrive, this car IS a sports car. I think the leather interior is superior, love the wood grain accents and has a lot of power. The car just wants to go....

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
Can you please post some pics of it outdoors? I'm looking at this setup.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Can you please post some pics of it outdoors? I'm looking at this setup.
Will post pictures later this week.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Here are photographs.

Apologies for the color balance changes but they give a good idea of how it looks.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515_2 web.jpg
Views:	1932
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	348014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507_2 web.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	348015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505_2 web.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	348016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1496_2 web.jpg
Views:	1704
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	348017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490_2 web.jpg
Views:	3512
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	348018  

Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 35d
Did you buy the X1 at BMW of Austin? If yes, how was your buying experience?

FYI I am thinking of making a purchase in the near future and have the option of purchasing a BMW at that location.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR328 View Post
Did you buy the X1 at BMW of Austin? If yes, how was your buying experience?

FYI I am thinking of making a purchase in the near future and have the option of purchasing a BMW at that location.

Thanks
Yes we did. We have used them for the last 8 years and have always had a very good experience. Our SA is John Dickerson who has been absolutely excellent. They are not pushy and spend time making sure that you get the right car for you. We can thoroughly recommend them.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Expedition
X1 K-9 Carrier

My X1 will be used to carry my two German Shepherds so I'm happy to read that your poodles have plenty of room in the back.

This will be my first BMW and I will be buying in Central Florida. I have been advised by the dealer that I will have to order my X1 since they could not locate what I wanted in the USA. Has anyone bought in the Central Florida area? I would appreciate any input on your ordering/buying experience.

Thanks
DJ
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsturn View Post
My X1 will be used to carry my two German Shepherds so I'm happy to read that your poodles have plenty of room in the back.

This will be my first BMW and I will be buying in Central Florida. I have been advised by the dealer that I will have to order my X1 since they could not locate what I wanted in the USA. Has anyone bought in the Central Florida area? I would appreciate any input on your ordering/buying experience.

Thanks
DJ
If you are open to it, try Les Cutler with Pines BMW in South Florida. I know he works with out of area clients and is very knowledgable (954)620-5050

1989 M3
1999 323iC
2005 330i ZHP
2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (ED 7/'14)
2013 X1 sDrive28i

Retired
2013 X5 xDrive35d
2012 128i
2009 MINI Cooper
2010 128i
2006 330i
2004 325i
1991 325i
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Scheiße!!!

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby View Post
Yes we did. We have used them for the last 8 years and have always had a very good experience. Our SA is John Dickerson who has been absolutely excellent. They are not pushy and spend time making sure that you get the right car for you. We can thoroughly recommend them.

When I was in Austin I used John Dickerson. He did my Euro Delivery. Good choice to go with him

1989 M3
1999 323iC
2005 330i ZHP
2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (ED 7/'14)
2013 X1 sDrive28i

Retired
2013 X5 xDrive35d
2012 128i
2009 MINI Cooper
2010 128i
2006 330i
2004 325i
1991 325i