Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1 Series BMW
Adding a GPS feature to a 1 series

So last week i bought myself a new 1 series. The dealer quoted me 2000 for a built in GPS, i didnt want to spend this much money on it, when you can buy a tom tom for 100 or just use the function on the i phone.

I did however go for all the online functions and computer display.

I have now had my new 1 series for a week and i love it to bits but i do wish i had the GPS functionality. I already have the computer screen and display, surely there must be a cheaper way of adding the GPS without paying a dealer 2000 for a 100 function ???

any ideas would be most welcome.

thanks

Dinny
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002tii, 540iA, Z4M Rdstr
Buy a Garmin for 150 GBP - it's far superior to the BMW system in EVERY respect, especially the photo-realistic exit and lane guidance, real-time traffic, and lifetime map updates. I just bought a new 128i and installed my new garmin - works far better than the factory setup.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I don't know what is offered in England or if this is still available in the U. S. but BMW was offering a BMW Portable Pro system when I bought my 128i vert in 2009. I've seen people mentioning it since so I think it may still be available. It is about $1000 installed. It is a high end Garmin GPS on a special bracket and integrated with the car somewhat. The sound comes out the speakers and switches between the GPS and other audio automatically.

I did something similar but I bought the installation kit and my own Garmin. I like it but I am in the process of making my own bracket to put the GPS on the left side of the instruments (I guess it would be the right for you). It is less integrated but also less expensive.

If you want to see pictures, there are threads in the DIY and electronics area. Here is one:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=garmin+mount

Jim
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
So last week i bought myself a new 1 series. The dealer quoted me 2000 for a built in GPS, i didnt want to spend this much money on it, when you can buy a tom tom for 100 or just use the function on the i phone.

I did however go for all the online functions and computer display.

I have now had my new 1 series for a week and i love it to bits but i do wish i had the GPS functionality. I already have the computer screen and display, surely there must be a cheaper way of adding the GPS without paying a dealer 2000 for a 100 function ???

any ideas would be most welcome.

thanks

Dinny
ah i see so you can get the cpu interface minus the navy opts?

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
Try a garmin gps with a backup camera.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
Dont they make a rebranded Tom tom one?