Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
Transmission Noise - 2006 Z4 3.0i

Recently i have been experiencing noise during upshift and down shifting. I have the 6 speed automatic transmission. Sounds like a mount is loose so if you can picture that sound youve got it. Sounds like a slight rubbing for a fraction of a second during shifting. The sounds only happens after the car warms up to full operating temp. Also at about 40 miles per hour is i press the accelerator to the kick down point I can reproduce it every time.

I took the car to the stealership a couple weeks ago and reproduced it for them and they couldnt figure it out so they put in a ticket with BMW and asked me to drop it off again for them to look it over and try a few things in a couple weeks. That being today. So the Z sits in the shop.

Today they told me that they requested to BMW to swap the tranny completely but was waiting to see if they wanted them to try something else first. I shoudl hear back from them in the morning to the fate. I am just hoping that if it is the tranny that the CPO warranty takes care of the issue.

Anyway, i have searched the site and havent foudn anythign quite like mine. Anyone else experienceing the same issue?

Kinda sounds like rubbing two pieces of hard wood together to the point where they squeak or squeal what ever you prefer to call it.

look forward to hearing from you.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.

Last edited by RufusKing; 12-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Update :

just got off the phone with the dealer and they said they are going to try to flush the tranny up to three times tomorrow and see if that works. not sure what the three times will solve for them but I will wait and see. They still dont know what the issue is but are thinking it may be debris in the transmission that is causing the problem.

will post more once i get more details on what the problem is.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/2007 Z4 Coupe
I think it's interesting that when a customer asks to have the "lifetime" fluid changed, dealers normally tell them that it is not recommended and often will refuse to do it. However, when faced with a potentially large warranty claim, all of a sudden that changing the fluid looks like a good idea. Strange turnabout don't you think?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
6-speed manual, CWP, Xenon, Cft. Seats, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Privacy glass
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I think it's interesting that when a customer asks to have the "lifetime" fluid changed, dealers normally tell them that it is not recommended and often will refuse to do it. However, when faced with a potentially large warranty claim, all of a sudden that changing the fluid looks like a good idea. Strange turnabout don't you think?
I agree with you completely. It seems that when BMW is faced with a warranty issue now, they also completely forget about all their advertisement concerning four year free maintenance. I have yet to received a warranty repair without having to write a forceful letter.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 PM

Well I got my Z back today. And no more noise. All they did was flush the transmission a couple times and that was it. So dont let them tell you the fluid doesnt go bad becasue it does. I am at 56K now.

good luck with yours.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusKing View Post
Well I got my Z back today. And no more noise. All they did was flush the transmission a couple times and that was it. So dont let them tell you the fluid doesnt go bad becasue it does. I am at 56K now.

good luck with yours.
I just realized that it was an automatic.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
This post was helpful to me. My 2007 3.0si roadster started making this same noise under the same conditions earlier this summer at about 20k miles. It wasn't causing a performance or shifting issue, but the sound was annoying and was sometimes loud, sometimes not so loud. Since it was just a noise, it was not a high priority but I had been thinking about either taking it to the dealer to have it looked at or just trying a fluid change myself before doing anything else. First, I found the OE transmission fluid is about $30/quart, but then I saw that other brands of ATF that meet the BMW OE specification were much more reasonable. I wondered if they were safe to use, but I finally decided that if the fluid meets the BMW OE spec and is synthetic then it should be fine. Besides, if a $30 oil only lasted 20k miles, then I doubt I could do worse. I took the car to my oil change place earlier this week and had them do a drain and fill. They had the Valvoline Synthetic ATF. Noise is gone and has stayed gone all week. I plan to take the car back in a couple of weeks and have them do another drain and fill since I cannot be certain I got all of the fluid out of the torque converter. My drain and fill came to $39.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors