Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: R1150R+
X3 Pricing /Car search

Hello from a newbie here.
I'm starting to search for a new 2013 X3 28i purchase, not lease.
I've done my homework on options,pkgs.,etc., & am very car knowledgeable & am an experienced/aggressive buyer.
I know the MSRP/invoice pricing for my car & also aware of discounting others have received.

Located in Eastern KY, willing to fly & drive within ~ 1,000 miles of KY for best price. Ready to buy but not hurried either,so a custom order works for me just as well.
Willing to do PCD in SC which is ~ 350k from me.
Before I start contacting dealers via email/phone I'm asking for any info on dealers that are willing to go all the way on discounting price based on your personal experiences.
Having purchased many cars over the years I know some dealers discount a little,some hardly at all & others will not let a straight ,no trade purchase get away.(My closest dealer is Don Jacobs in Lexington,KY & they fit into that small discount category)
Any help from your experience with a certain dealer before I start? THANKS!!!

Car Specs: 2013 X3 28i,Alpine White,Chestnut Nevada leather, Cold Weather pkg.,Sat. radio.,mats optional.

Last edited by kantuckid; 10-31-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Dealt with Tony Bonazzi (Sales Manager) at Harold Zeigler in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Straight forward guy who knows what he is doing. He had no problem with $500 over invoice and took great care of us! Highly recommend him. If you choose to do PCD you can really go with any dealership in the country. Some of the sponsers on the boards here are easy to work with as well and have done great deals too. Good luck
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 PM

Hey thanks. Is Tony dealing from inventory at that price point or an ordered car?
The way I understand the PCD delivery thing is that I can make the best deal with any dealer then go to SC for pickup regardless of the sellers location. I'm going to double check that & go from there.

Last edited by kantuckid; 10-31-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
If you are a Costco member, check Costco pricing, you will also come to know the invoice prices of all options. Start from there.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM

There is no Costco in the mtns of E. KY! No anything but trees,cliffs & waterfalls... I have viewed invoice pricing, as already stated-it's on many websites to include BMWconfig.com,Edmunds,etc..-invoice is common knowledge.
The car specified in my OP is invoice=$38,590+taxes & dealer "fees" & the markup they are offering such as the $500 mentioned above from MI dealer. Thanks for the headsup on Costco.
USAA is priced @ $850 over invoice plus whatever else comes up from the seller.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
my comment on the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
I just bought my 2013 X3 about a month ago. Originally I was aiming for 8% off MSRP for a custom order, while most dealers I contacted with could only do 5~6%. Finally a dealer told me they could do 8% if I buy in stock. I walked in and got 9% off MSRP buying in stock plus college grad discount. The salesman told me they could do 9% because it was the end of month.

I didn't get the tire warranty. It's a gamble, and the dealers must have better odds. Though it covers 5 years, you will need to replace a new set of tires in 2 years anyway ( the warranty does not cover normal wear.) Local tire shops can actually repair nails on run flat if it's not serious. Also, you have the option to switch to cheaper regular tires.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM

costco is like only 4% discount, not even close to any real good deal.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
OP what are you doing in regards to the acquisition:

Leasing
Buying in cash
Finacing

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Hey thanks. Is Tony dealing from inventory at that price point or an ordered car?
The way I understand the PCD delivery thing is that I can make the best deal with any dealer then go to SC for pickup regardless of the sellers location. I'm going to double check that & go from there.
$500 over invoice was on a custom order and this was back in 2011 when they first came out and there were none on the lots so they were in high demand. Several of my neighbors have bought off of him as well and also have nothing but good things to say. You can buy from any dealer and do PCD. The dealer where you purchase the vehicle from just needs to arrange it for you.

Here is a link to the dealer's website if you don't already have it:

http://www.haroldzeiglerbmw.com/new-...ventoryListing

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 10-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM

As stated in my OP I am a buyer not leasing, cash buyer. I'll ad that I'm not trading either & no financing involved. I'll stick to my car options as specified earlier, the only exception would be for an instock car that's identical but has the sun roof that the dealer makes worth my buying. I'll also give on a light blue car with leather switching to beige, in that case.
As to run flats-been there/done that!
Lets just say I have zero respect for them!
They are too hard(I had Bridgestones on a 2008 328xi) & when called upon to "do their job" they are not up to it! Here's the story: I had a flat approximately 50k from my home. Being in a car that had no "call BMW available to me" & considering I was in the hills of eastern KY far from a dealer of any sort, much less a run flat tire place or BMW dealer-they were say 2hrs away- AND! of course not having a jack or a lug wrench , I called my BIL who lived just down the road a few miles. He brought a jack and lug wrench. We jacked up the car and I pulled the wheel. To explain further a small screwdriver had punctured the tire and was whacking the wheel well liner as the wheel rotated and was pointed toward the inside & it was dark so hard to discern what all the racket was about. After pulling the wheel I was able to easily remove the object & placed the tire, minus air back on the car. This is a road I travel often so I knew that I was right on the 50k area for getting home with the run-flat mounted flat. I drove under 50mph the whole way and when I got home , parked and went back to the left rear took a look and the tire looked kind of low as if it were a regular non-runflat tire with almost no air. I placed my hand on the sidewall & jerked it back as the tire was too hot(it was a cool night and fall season) to touch! I bought another same tire & when I watched the old tire come off I inspected it inside for damage. The tire had started to disintegrate inside, with the carcass falling apart, not just the inner liner. Folks, that ain't safe.
FWIW and at the expense of seeming to be a "know it all" I'll ad that I am a professional mechanic in my past & a retired teacher with my certificate having been auto mechanics. Furthermore, I also worked as a mechanic/millwright for a long time in Goodyears' Topeka,KS tire plant & am very knowledgeable about tires. I'm a greasy guy.
I'm now posting a new thread r.e., run flats, to see what other owners say about them beyond the several threads of the past here.
My current car a 2010 Cadillac CTS4 has a "jack/spare option" rather than the regular tire goop spray can thing. At least it has a tire,jack & lug wrench-and a space for a tire!!!
Several other late model cars have the runflats. Even if they were a decent tire I do not like lacking a jack, spare & wrench!!! On my MC I always have a plug kit as do most touring riders.
The statement "you have to replace the tires every 2 years" is not true. As we are retired and rural too, we drive hwy miles only and our cars don't pile up miles as in the past as they sit unless we are shopping the 50k minimum trip or on a trip, so ~12k each on PU truck & car annually. It is quite common to get more than 25k out of a modern tire, so the 2yr thing is just flat wrong. My 2010 Tundra Toyota has 37k & my 2010 CTS has 28k and i can assure you the tread is safe & no where near the TWI's(both have Michelins from new) . As a life long MC rider I'm also aware of those tires which age faster due to different compounds & even MC tires don't need replaced every 2 yrs unless it based on use. For most people tire replacement is about the miles, 2 yrs is not in the equation.

Last edited by kantuckid; 11-01-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM

9% off MSRP works out to $466 off invoice on the car I specified-thats a great deal based on whats been posted here that I have read.
I am now aware(after much "legwork") that there are dealers quite willing to sell a PCD X3 at invoice. We are talking about them making money off the sales persons time & they do some paper work. The sales floor/lot is for those locked into non web based buying. Thanks God for those other buyers or it would become hard to test drive & eyeball options !!! Invoice on base price is exactly MSRP less 8%. Obviously as you ad options the deal gets sweeter for them in the end.

Last edited by kantuckid; 11-07-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Apparently all you need is a dealer who prices aggressively and is willing to complete the transaction by email and telephone. Three NY metro dealers with whom I have recent experience who probably will meet your requirements are BMW of Freehold, Park Ave BMW, in Freehold and Maywood, NJ repectively, and Wide World BMW in Spring Valley, NY. Sandy may have made some or all of them currently unreachable. In August 2011, after obtaining quotes from 16 NY metro dealers, I arranged entirely by email, telephone, and wire transfer a lease and two purchases of MY 2012 35i X3s that were all delivered in mid-October 2011 at the dealer premises, not Spartanburg, because Spartanburg appointment slots were not available within the validity period of the BMWNA $1K summer coupon promotion. Incidentally, you may qualify for a loyalty rebate. The price variance between the highest and lowest of the three dealers was less than $100 for each X3. I chose Freehold because they were the easiest to work with. I started with an inquiry through their web site and worked with Maria Schouldice, Business Development manager, which is the dealership's designation for internet sales. Full precision on your configuration will get you a quick response. Carpet mats are included, not an option but all-weather rubber mats or Weathertech plastic liners with XDrive logos are options. The Weathertech cargo floor liner was not available then but the dealers may offer it now. You can try the dealers who are sponsors of this site, expecially the founder. Also, I have read that one of the Atlanta area dealers is especially competitive but I don't know which.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Another variable these days is the ridiculous amounts many if not most charge to fill out a title application(doc. fees)-something I've done for years myself & certainly not hard to do. In my rural location there's never a wait line,the forms are free & even if you are illiterate they will complete them for you! $500 is common & then there's the "advertising fee" many charge. All in all a money suction experience for sure!
I'm in process on a few dealers now & I'll post my experiences as I go/later. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
kantuckid,

Have you driven the X3? My $0.02 worth regarding the ride quality of RFTs-

We used to own a 2006 X3 which we bought new and kept until we replaced it with our 2011 X3 last year. The ride on the 2006 was definitely firm. The ride quality on our new X3 is significantly improved, while in my opinion it handles better than the 2006. The 2006 did not have RFTs while our 2011 does.

At the same time we bought the 2006 X3 for my wife, we bought a 2006 330Xi for my car. That was the first year for RFTs on the 3 series and that car would jar my teeth loose on large road irregularities. I found the ride quality unacceptable and it was the catalyst to trade in the 3 series for a 2008 535Xi without RFTs.

Fast forward 5 years- I just replaced my 535Xi with a 2013 335i xDrive with RFTs. I think the ride quality on the new car is excellent, not jarring or harsh in any way, while the handling is great.

In my experience, the ride quality on BMWs with RFTS has evolved and improved greatly.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 11-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
kantuckid,

Have you driven the X3? My $0.02 worth regarding the ride quality of RFTs-

We used to own a 2006 X3 which we bought new and kept until we replaced it with our 2011 X3 last year. The ride on the 2006 was definitely firm. The ride quality on our new X3 is significantly improved, while in my opinion it handles better than the 2006. The 2006 did not have RFTs while our 2011 does.

At the same time we bought the 2006 X3 for my wife, we bought a 2006 330Xi for my car. That was the first year for RFTs on the 3 series and that car would jar my teeth loose on large road irregularities. I found the ride quality unacceptable and it was the catalyst to trade in the 3 series for a 2008 535Xi without RFTs.

Fast forward 5 years- I just replaced my 535Xi with a 2013 335i xDrive with RFTs. I think the ride quality on the new car is excellent, not jarring or harsh in any way, while the handling is great.

In my experience, the ride quality on BMWs with RFTS has evolved and improved greatly.

Bruce
Good to know

But I drive a lot, like 30k per year, I don't want to change run-flat tires every 20k. Good regular tires last at least 50k and they cost less than 2/3 price of run-flats.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Sales guy states that the new X3 drives better overall than new 3 series sedans. We have tried Toyo 4Runner,Volvo XC60 T6 AWD & X3 so far. Sounds like the real issue is no way(as equipped) to get yourself going again when they fail.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 PM

At the OP

If you car is invoicing at $38xxx could you list the option your are putting on. It tends to clarify things. Right now, by simply guessing, I can tell that you are looking for a vehicle most dealers wont have on the lot, since it seems fairly basic (not a bad thing at all, less electronics = less running to the dealer).

This is how I see it, usually (this is true 70% of all the BMWs i have seen):

Msrp is 9-10% higher than the invoice price

If your looking for that most, `fest dealers can offer that (invoice+500-incentives). The thing is you would have to probably take delivery in SC or somewhere not at your local dealer. Also you would be charged doc fees im guessing.

For a local dealer, try and email the closest and see what they can muster up in regards to the fest sponsors. If your currently working at invoice+500-incentives (check out the Holiday incentives that was released today on the Ask-a-dealer section) I would not hesitate to jump on that. Plus you can probably try and see if they let you register the car and not charge you the doc fee, as per you question earlier.

Unless you see the vehicle on the lot, its quite difficult to find lesser spec`d X3s.

But regardless, hopefully you get the car of your dreams

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
At the OP

If you car is invoicing at $38xxx could you list the option your are putting on. It tends to clarify things. Right now, by simply guessing, I can tell that you are looking for a vehicle most dealers wont have on the lot, since it seems fairly basic (not a bad thing at all, less electronics = less running to the dealer).

This is how I see it, usually (this is true 70% of all the BMWs i have seen):

Msrp is 9-10% higher than the invoice price

If your looking for that most, `fest dealers can offer that (invoice+500-incentives). The thing is you would have to probably take delivery in SC or somewhere not at your local dealer. Also you would be charged doc fees im guessing.

For a local dealer, try and email the closest and see what they can muster up in regards to the fest sponsors. If your currently working at invoice+500-incentives (check out the Holiday incentives that was released today on the Ask-a-dealer section) I would not hesitate to jump on that. Plus you can probably try and see if they let you register the car and not charge you the doc fee, as per you question earlier.

Unless you see the vehicle on the lot, its quite difficult to find lesser spec`d X3s.

But regardless, hopefully you get the car of your dreams
He did list the options at the bottom of the email: Car Specs: 2013 X3 28i,Alpine White,Chestnut Nevada leather, Cold Weather pkg.,Sat. radio.,mats optional.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM

The PCD program really opens up the price thing to any dealer anywhere as I'm 372 miles from Greenville,SC. My nearest dealer is a non discounting kind of place & 3hrs RT away & the dealer in Lou,KY is 280RT away. The car I specified has the exact same features as many out there except the prmium pkg of which , at least for now I only asked for the lthr part.. Salespeople tell me that adding a sunroof will be worth my $$$ in resell value, so I'm rethinking that list as it gets me the lthr & roof-pretty pricey cargo net,mirrors,stprage kit,roof rails & lumbar,huh?
The dealer doc fees can be $500+ these days(didn't they always have clerks?) & some charge the ad fee too. I saw one here that charged #95 to wash it! I'll wash it...

It almost gets down to throwing the deal to my favorite sales person instead of the only one that makes the best price as I have several saying the same deal. I wonder what the mfg is paying the dealers on a Invoice +$500-incentives deal? I'm trying to iron out the loyalty thing-drive a Caddillac now after owning BMW's since first in 1969-LOTS OF THEM!!! Also own 3 BMW M/C's now-looks like coming back to the brand would matter more than one recent deviation in 50yrs?

Question-if you pay all that money for heated lthr seats do they actually lack a lumbar support w/o buying the premium pkg.??? I am a car guy, a very greasy one at that. I use a cell phone but don't want or need then "gizmo" stuff that drives the interest of many these days. My m/c helmet has zero electronics & other than a sat radio I really dont use sync type stuff. It is amusing to me to read others reviews & all they can talk about on a car is the gizmo aspect. When I read a "pro" road test of car or bike they still talk about the machine, not the gizmos. If you like that stuff, fine with me unless your a "on the road talker or texter", then I draw the line severely! really

Last edited by kantuckid; 11-02-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

I didn't think you could order leather as a standalone

Why does this matter?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM

If you go to the "build your car" pages, the lthr & sunroof are both available separately & avoid the whole cost of premium pkg-I just found out from a great sales guy in Columbia,MO that the power lumbar is only on the pkg. I need to try a non premium lther seat! It really peeves me the crp that they make you buy to get a car with certtain features,e.g. on tundras you have to buy lthr to get heated seats & their lthr is crapp so I don't want it as just one e.g..
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Welcome to BMW packaging lol.

Power lumbar would be an expensive addition since you have to add premium.

What I would suggest if your budget allows, add premium, cold, (for some reason premium hifi is free with that combo), and sat.

It would be approximately 2k more. But, you do have holiday cash, if you go thru bmwfs (refinance later).

Why does this matter?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
$500 over invoice was on a custom order and this was back in 2011 when they first came out and there were none on the lots so they were in high demand. Several of my neighbors have bought off of him as well and also have nothing but good things to say. You can buy from any dealer and do PCD. The dealer where you purchase the vehicle from just needs to arrange it for you.

Here is a link to the dealer's website if you don't already have it:

http://www.haroldzeiglerbmw.com/new-...ventoryListing
Question: What are the dealer fees @ that place? I mean document fees & other obnoxious fees. I had looked @ X3 while in MO last Sat. & the guy was very helpful,etc., but they have quoted me Invoice + $600, whereas you got $500. Info will help me either move my deal or save time asking at MI dealer. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Doc fee was $190 + $24.00 if you choose to do electronic filing.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 AM

My current $600 over invoice trumps that as zero fees involved.