Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Run flat tires and winter weather

I know nothing about run flats or driving in snow or ice, so please forgive if these are dumb questions. I live in So California and didn't feel the need to get AWD or winter package. However, we will be taking a road trip up to Seattle this December and am wondering about the run flats on the car. Weather predictions don't show a lot of snow, but there will be some and ice as well.

Will the run flats be ok? Can you use chains with run flats? Depending upon when I pick up the car - at Pt Hueneme right now - don't think I will have completed the break in period before we go. The trip is about 1200 miles each way. Should I just leave the x1 home and take my Dad's Nissan Titan extended cab......please, anything but that!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

DeeDee
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
The s28 comes with the Goodyear tires, which doesn't have great reviews as per tire rack. However, you greater concern is rwd, which isn't great for snow unless u have dedicated winter tires. Is the Nissan Titan awd? If so u might be better off with that, esp if ur sure there will be snow during the trip.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
I live in Seattle. Give me some information about your road trip if you need help deciding whether a RWD is good enough.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM

The Nissan is a standard rwd. We plan on going up the 5 with a few jogs onto 99 to visit colleges my daughter has applied to. My brother has lived in the Seattle area for about four years and drives a 330i. He hasn't had any problems other than being careful with ice, but he doesn't have run flats.

I'm worried about the Cajon Pass (Southern CA) and the pass from CA into Oregon.

DeeDee
Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
You will be fine. Just stick to major roads. They are salted. Unless your caught in a snow storm in which case you should probably not drive in anyway you will be fine. People drive alsorts or RWD cars upstate

Last edited by Leekay07; 10-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Another option is to rent an AWD car for the long weekend, and not worry about it. I have a Buddy who does that all the time through Priceline. It might be worth looking into.
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone! It will be an 'interesting' adventure.

DeeDee
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
To answer your specific question, there is nothing about the run-flat feature of the tires that affects their function in winter weather. More important to understand: the roads you will be on in California and Oregon go over mountain passes, and California and Oregon laws require that you carry "tire chains or traction devices" in fall and winter. The Highway Patrol also may require you to use them when weather conditions dictate it. That would not be a problem, except that some combinations of BMW wheels and tires and car bodies don't leave enough clearance to mount tire chains. Several years ago I drove my new 328i (E92) from the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina to Portland, in January. I avoided winter weather problems by taking I-10 from the East Coast to Los Angeles, but then I had to get across the mountains at the California - Oregon border, and I had sport package wheels and tires that would not take chains. What I did, and what you can do in December, is divert from I-5 to US 101, which is nearer the ocean and avoids the higher passes. It's longer, but it's also more scenic and more interesting.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 AM

Thank you 'raleedy'. Since the manual only suggested 'fine link' chains, I asked the BMW parts dept and they suggested a type of cable chain that is easy to install. They were able to order them from an outside vendor for less than $100; for that price I will keep them even if I don't use them on the trip this winter. If the weather looks ikes it will be bad, we will go the 101 route anyways.

I was thinking about the SC pickup but couldn't adjust my work schedule. That must have been a great trip!

DeeDee
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skndchanzs View Post
Thank you 'raleedy'. Since the manual only suggested 'fine link' chains, I asked the BMW parts dept and they suggested a type of cable chain that is easy to install. They were able to order them from an outside vendor for less than $100; for that price I will keep them even if I don't use them on the trip this winter. If the weather looks ikes it will be bad, we will go the 101 route anyways.

I was thinking about the SC pickup but couldn't adjust my work schedule. That must have been a great trip!

DeeDee
Good -- the chains will work if you need them, and you'll be legal just having them in the car if you don't. (A local tire company here has a kind of remarkable deal: you buy chains at the beginning of the season and if you don't use them, you can return them in the spring for a refund!)

The PDC pickup in South Carolina was a blast. We were put up overnight at a local hotel, with breakfast and dinner included, and given better than half a day on the proving grounds (plus lunch) in a BMW similar to mine, with permission to drive it hard, which I did. It was a good hands-on introduction to ABS, stability control, and BMW handling at the limits. And the road trip home was a treat, despite some bad weather. I would recommend the experience to anyone.

Last edited by raleedy; 11-03-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
The s28 comes with the Goodyear tires, which doesn't have great reviews as per tire rack. However, you greater concern is rwd, which isn't great for snow unless u have dedicated winter tires. Is the Nissan Titan awd? If so u might be better off with that, esp if ur sure there will be snow during the trip.

BTW my s28 can with continentals