Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
SSSSMOKIN!

Mein Auto: 95 318is
Exclamation Choking 318!

Hey guys, as always, I need your help. Last week as I was entering the freeway on my 95 318is, I opened the throtle to get up to speed but instead I slowed down. So basically what has been happening is this, when I step on the gas slowly, the car works fine, but if I press it too much, the engine chokes, literally. I can almost here it gasp, but not for air. In fact, I believe that what happens is that is getting too much air, which would mean a fuel delivery problem. So I order a new fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and TPS from Pelican Parts and also bought the fuel filter from the dealership (I know, really stupid to waste money like that) I received the parts about 2 hours ago and replaced them right away, took the car around the block only to find that the choking is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Clean the MAF (with MAF cleaner, NOT carb cleaner). Try that, and if it doesn't improve, you've got a vacuum leak somewhere or the cam position sensor is dying.

Do you have a Bentley manual? That'd give you a step-by-step for troubleshooting your problem.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 PM
SSSSMOKIN!

Thanks HH, Ill clean the MAF tomorrow morning as soon as I get a hold of the cleaner, and look for any leaks. Ill check the cam sensor also, Ill probably just replace it anyway. I did just get a hold of the manual, and Ill look into that right now. Thanks again.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Check the rubber boot between the air box and TB for cracks. Also before you buy a crank sensor check it for resistance along with the cam sensor. The Bentley manual will tell you what the resistance should be. I can also look at the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM
SSSSMOKIN!

So yesterday I decided to clean the TB and the MAF, and to do it right, I took them off. So, needles to say I had to replace the TB gasket, but before I took off to the dealer, I decided to check the spark plugs, which I had replaced about a year ago with E3s, and found oil on the threads and a good amount of carbon deposits on the insulator. For what I have read, this means the piston rings and/or the valve guides are worn, is that the correct diagnosis? Anyway, after buying the gasket at the dealer, I stopped at an autozone for the NGK spark plugs. So after replacing the plugs, the gasket, cleaning the TB and MAF and ICV, and putting everything back together, took the car to the texaco gas station, filled it up with 93 octane and poured a bottle of chevron injector cleaner. And the results were immedialetly noticeable. The throttle response was back to normal after about 2 miles of driving, and I also had a oscillating rpm, and as far as I can tell that is gone also. I'm back to enjoying my car again, and although I know I'm probably gonna have to tear the engine appart and rebuild it at some point, sooner rather than later I hope, Im a happy BMW owner again. Thanks for all the help HH and T2F!