Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci Convertible
Potential purchase

Hello, new here and streched it a little--working a deal to buy the 325CI convertible, but questions. Car is an '04 with 50K miles, nice shape, had it inspected today by Autoscope. Interesting finds, listed below:

Carfax was clean, no obvious bodywork, but had some paintwork on it. Inspection said rear shock and differential bushing showed some trauma, think somebody clobbered a curb and took out the plastic on lower body side, reason for paint and trauma on shock etc.

Motor mounts collapsed, 4 rims bent--Mount just wear and tear or abuse I think, rims I wonder--are the stock alloys the type that should be hand broken down when changing tires? That might explain 4 wheels...

Other maintenance items, belts, lower cotrol arm bushings, oil was filled to the top of the dipstick :-(. If you don't know how to work on this type of car, don't try it :-(

Car has no manuals, no spare, no jack, and about 1/2 the tools--are these hard to find? Like to keep it original for a while... How important are the little covers that slide back & forth on the top cover where the leading egle of the top comes up? These are missing.

Car drives nice, feels tight--any comments on above or thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
I don't like the rims bent / damaged shock story...sounds like someone ran off the road into a field. Probably needs every suspension component known to man.

Control Arms
FCAB's
RTABs

on top of the rear dif bushing, shocks, struts. Then you need to worry about the cooling system, CVV etc. I would look for a car from a fanatic that has maintained it somewhat so you do not have to start from scratch.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback...

Think you are right,low mileage does not necessarily mean a good car! I really like the 04-05, most I see though are in 100k plus range. Would like to find one that has been maintained nicely, and had the stuff that normally goes in the 50-100k range, so just continue looking.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Further though...

Seeing a lot of nice 06's 3 series convertibles out there, but not crazy about those. Also read CR reliability reviews, not favorable on 06... Don't want to offend the many 06 owners, but did they have more issues than 05's?

Thanks,

Chris