Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
X5 N55 Burger Tuning Stage 1

Hey guys, I just ordered Terry's tune for the X5. Anyone here who has installed this? Installation guide only shows F10 and no pictures of the E70 at all. Thanks!

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Interesting product. It's so much cheaper than the Dinan upgrade!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM

No one?

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Xdrive
Did you verify what TMAP you had i just looked at the website. I have a 2013 X5 35i considering this upgrade do you know of anyone else with the tune or you just trying it out?

Last edited by ultra300x 702; 10-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM

I know someone who has it. Also take a look at the folks with F10s. Same tune.

My TMAP is type B

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 sport activity M
Im almost in the same boat as you, please keep us updated on how it works and the install

by the way: hi everybody Im new to the forum
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: E46M
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
Hey guys, I just ordered Terry's tune for the X5. Anyone here who has installed this? Installation guide only shows F10 and no pictures of the E70 at all. Thanks!
Let us know your results and opinions. I'm on the fence with a flash or a piggy back option...

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee4984 View Post
Let us know your results and opinions. I'm on the fence with a flash or a piggy back option...

Thanks
Mike
I am also however with the piggy back option you can sell it when you get rid of the vehicle and also remove it for warranty puposes if something should occur. I like the flash option if i was keeping my X5 but its a 3yr lease and spending 2,000 on a tune and not getting any money back from it seems steep. Your thoughts ?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra300x 702 View Post
...also remove it for warranty puposes if something should occur.
do keep in mind that in the event of a major engine or trans failure, BMW can interrogate the DME and can find evidence the engine was operating outside of the normal parameters. Yes, you can clear codes but you cannot clear this history.

Low probablily of such a major failure, but just saying.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: I hate PM. Email me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
do keep in mind that in the event of a major engine or trans failure, BMW can interrogate the DME and can find evidence the engine was operating outside of the normal parameters. Yes, you can clear codes but you cannot clear this history.

Low probablily of such a major failure, but just saying.
Worry not, our CAN Tool or a BT cable can delete any traces of hidden codes in the unlikely event such codes are thrown.

RE: Install, just follow the directions in the PDF guide. The X5 is the same as the F10 as far as the install goes. It's 4 connectors. Simple stuff here.
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS View Post
Worry not, our CAN Tool or a BT cable can delete any traces of hidden codes in the unlikely event such codes are thrown.
Terry- Tell the whole truth...you seem to be addressing my comment with a half-answer: You cannot erase traces of operating parameters that are outside the limits allowed by an unmodified DME.

Correct? Just a straight, honest answer. If you can clear this history, please tell me how.

I am not talking codes and shadow codes, i am specifically talking about operating characteristics that might be stored immediately prior to a major event.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Terry- Tell the whole truth...you seem to be addressing my comment with a half-answer: You cannot erase traces of operating parameters that are outside the limits allowed by an unmodified DME.

Correct? Just a straight, honest answer. If you can clear this history, please tell me how.

I am not talking codes and shadow codes, i am specifically talking about operating characteristics that might be stored immediately prior to a major event.

Thanks!
In theory DME load, for example, could be stored along with RPM and other DME parameters. But what you might be missing is that with a piggyback these sensor values are reported back in the OEM range. With piggyback tuning the DME always sees the OEM boost values, for example. It's inherent to how piggyback tuning works. So only flash tunes are at risk for detection using that direct sensor out of range method.

To counter that BMW added a series of plausibility codes that indicate you may have a piggyback installed. For example if fuel consumption exceeds a normal range for a given load a code is triggered that indicates the technician should check for an external device. It does not prove you have such a device as higher ethanol content fuel can also trigger the same code, for example. But these are the codes the BT cable can fully whip out.

And for the record we do not endorse warranty fraud. If you break something, you should pay for it. But our Stage1 tuning is fairly mild with only a ~3psi increase over stock. Similar to what BMW offers with their in house aftermarket tuning. It's very reliable.
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the update... Please keep us posted on how it worked for you
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow0404 View Post
Thanks for the update... Please keep us posted on how it worked for you
Looks like OP was unable to get it installed. For some reason he could not reach the #2 sensor shown in this photo. We've done a few X5 installs at the office and its normally a 15-20 minute job from start to finish so I was disappointed to see he wasn't able to work it out.

Anyway, since we don't have any official reviews on this forum, if someone has some minimal technical skills to get it installed and shoot over a few X5 specific photos for our guide, and post a review here, we'll happily offer you a free N55 Stage1 tune. Well qualified customers only, please. Just email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll post back when we've found the right person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	348437  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Looks like OP was unable to get it installed. For some reason he could not reach the #2 sensor shown in this photo. We've done a few X5 installs at the office and its normally a 15-20 minute job from start to finish so I was disappointed to see he wasn't able to work it out.

Anyway, since we don't have any official reviews on this forum, if someone has some minimal technical skills to get it installed and shoot over a few X5 specific photos for our guide, and post a review here, we'll happily offer you a free N55 Stage1 tune. Well qualified customers only, please. Just email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll post back when we've found the right person.
Well that didn't take long! Looks like we have a good candidate who can get you guys some install photos and a review up soon.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 AM

Im too late......

I could be the second choice (just in case)

(2013 BMW X5 sport activity/M sport package)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I have exstensive technical skills and would be happy to send pictures over with detailed arrows in the pics Along with a detailed review. Please PM if interested
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: E46M
I'll volunteer too!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM

I'm the lucky tester that received the piggy back setup! Terry said the typical install should only take 15 - 20 minutes, so I'll pull out the SLR to document the entire process.

I think it's fair to Terry if I provide both a short term and long term review of his product, so please look for my impressions in a few weeks

My M3 won't get anywhere near the performance increase with $400, so I have to say, the turbo BMWs really do offer amazing power potential.

Quote:
Well that didn't take long! Looks like we have a good candidate who can get you guys some install photos and a review up soon.
Quote:
Im too late......

I could be the second choice (just in case)

(2013 BMW X5 sport activity/M sport package)
Quote:
I have exstensive technical skills and would be happy to send pictures over with detailed arrows in the pics Along with a detailed review. Please PM if interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee4984 View Post
I'll volunteer too!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM

any updates on this.... Im ready to order one and do it myself (pics and everything) and report back
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
any updates on this.... Im ready to order one and do it myself (pics and everything) and report back
I'm going to install this on Sunday and will report back
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Did you get it on your X5?

how does it runs now?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Did you get it on your X5?

how does it runs now?
I managed to install the harness and took a lot of install pictures, BUT my check engine light is on right now.

Install pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5378822...in/photostream

Terry has been great with the trouble shooting process, and I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Nice pics but you took so many your making it look alot more complicated then it really is. Im sure terry will edit what he wants on his website for customer installs. Keep us posted on the check engine light. How is the power and torque now is it very noticable or just slightly
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Nice pics but you took so many your making it look alot more complicated then it really is. Im sure terry will edit what he wants on his website for customer installs. Keep us posted on the check engine light. How is the power and torque now is it very noticable or just slightly
These are the raw pictures, which I'm sure they make the install look overwhelming. At the end of the day, like you mentioned, only a limited number will be selected.

The install itself was pretty straightforward, and it took longer to disassemble the HVAC area to hide the "parallel port looking" connector out of the elements.

I haven't driven the car at all right now, since it has a check engine light and a rough idle. Terry suspects it could be one of the connectors is not on tight enough. I'll keep everyone posted regarding my troubleshooting progress