Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
So how are they?

Most of the reviews I've read are quite positive and I'm happy to see that. I think the GC is stunning, in and out. I'm very interested in 1, but like others, feel its somewhat overpriced. $106,000 650i GC vs a similarly equipped 550i at around $75,000 vs. a 750i for about same $106,000 (I'm using a specific car I liked as the reference but same across board). The 6 is supposed to fall in between, in pricing as well. $30k more to go from a 5 to a 6 is stunning. That said, I am not a fan of the F10 drive or handling, certainly not when compared to the E60. Even with M-sport. They really took the BMw out of the BMW with the F10. My opinion. Still a beautiful looker and plush.

Any thoughts from new GC owners in a position to offer a comparison opine?

Some starting points:

Handling - Either version
Seats- comfy? Supportive? Better than 5/7 luxury seats?
MPG real life - just curious, not deciding factor.

Forum is very light on traffic. I know it's a new model, actually a year old, but should be buzzing with interest.

Thx.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
All I can say (and I have a 13' 640i GC) is that if you want to drive a 5 series which in my area are pretty common place that is certainly your choice. The GC is not the best for handling unless you get the adaptive suspension. Even at that it will depend on your driving skills. The car is the length of a 7 series so again it's a big car. I could have purchased any car in this class and spent less. However, I like the GC look and the 4 doors but maintains the 6 series look front and back. The interior is second to none. That's where I spend most of my time. The price for exclusivity is worth it to me.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F06 650i/E93 M3
I switched from an F10 550i to a 650i GC with comparable config and have 2cents worth of thoughts.

Handling:
I am very pleasantly surprised regarding the handling of the GC. I test drove a 640i without AD/IAS thru winding road a month before taking delivery of mine (which has AD/IAS). The 640i GC felt a lot more agile and stable in winding back roads vs the F10. The GC also feels quite a bit smaller (it is physically larger) than the F10 in windy roads even without IAS. The steering feel is heavier in the GC. All-in-all, you feel that you are really driving a sport car in the 6GC vs a sedan-trying-to-be-sport F10.

Suspension:
6GC's suspension is noticeably firmer than the F10. I feel that the suspension is way better tuned in the 6GC. I have yet to experience any boat-like feeling in my 6GC. I had ACS springs and AD on my previous F10 550i which reduced most but cannot completely eliminate the boat ride feeling. And in the 6GC, I find myself using comfort+ a lot more when driving in the city and roads of poor surface, and just the normal (or rather called comfort now) mode for a bit more spirited driving. In the F10, I pretty much want sport mode suspension all the time......... All in all, 6GC suspension is what BMW should have done to the F10 suspension in the first place......

Very planted cornering as well.

Power:
650i vs 550i..... Well, the 650iGC not only gets the new N63tu engine which is 10% boost over the 550i's N63, the engine management is also tuned for a sporty response from factory. No comparison. 550i is a sedan. 650iGC is a sport car, eager to go when you step on it.

Luxury:
Here, I would rank 650iGC on par with the F10. However, the 650iGC does have a lot less space inside the car for passengers and storage vs the F10. Also, the seats in the 650iGC are not as comfortable as in the F10, even though I have comfort seats in both. The beat seats legrooms are fair int he 650iGC, but headroom is noticeable less. And the rear window is TINY even compared to my E93 M3 vert.....

And no auto-trunk close on the 650iGC is my major gripe with it.....
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Thank you guys. I ended up leasing a 640i GC today. Fairly well equipped. Has AD, Msport, lux seats, prem sound and driver package. I agree with your sentiments. Handling is better than the F10 and how the F10 should be. I agree with the seat comfort as well. Not bad, certainly firmer, but definitely not F10 or 750i seats. Visibility is lowered but I've adjusted already. As for the 640 vs 650, i would have preffered the 650i but to be frank, the 640i is very poweful in its own right and the more powerful beast would have gotten me in trouble. Cant wait to see how long these 1/2" thick run flats last. Lol. I post seperately on the purchase. Alpine white/cinnamon brown. Sharp! And a deal I couldn't refuse. More on that later.

Any software updates I should be aware of? I'll tell you, that start/stop is a pain in the ass.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Oh, and yes, I have pics and will post seperately.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
Oh, and yes, I have pics and will post seperately.
Congrats on the car!
Can you compare your 640i GC to Panamera S when you get a chance? I would like to hear from who owns both cars.
I'm deciding between a 650i GC and Panamera GTS. GTS is about $700 more a month if I lease. I'm not too sure if the GTS is $700 worth extra a month.
Thanks in advance. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteonredM6 View Post
Congrats on the car!
Can you compare your 640i GC to Panamera S when you get a chance? I would like to hear from who owns both cars.
I'm deciding between a 650i GC and Panamera GTS. GTS is about $700 more a month if I lease. I'm not too sure if the GTS is $700 worth extra a month.
$700 more a month seems high, what's the difference in msrp between your configured 650 and configured gts?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

No prob on the Panamera comparison. I'll make it brief after a long day but can expand more as you wish.

Handling goes to the Panamera. Not that the 6 is bad, but the P-car has ARS, comparatively speaking, built in. However, it is important to order it the right way. There are way to many options in the Panamera and can drive you nuts. I would drive multiple configurations and then decide. Air suspension or not, and others are some questions to answer, for your own liking. Both are quite nice interior. Different. BMW hassle tech. Porsche keeps it simple to use but enough for what we need. The navigation in the dash is very nice! Bose in the P is slightly better than BMW's premium sound. Burmeister blows the whole smorgasbord of car audio out of the park. I went with the middle seats. Not the basic and not sport. Sport was too hard to my liking. The 14 way seats are comfortable. Very. And supportive. Rear seats are awesome despite the deep bucket appearance. Lots of room and very comfortable. The Porshe, being an 8 cyl (I had a Pana S), got excellent MPG. city/hwy mix of 85/15%, for me, and I got about 20-22. 28 on highway. And no, it's not backwards. 85% around town!

The Porsche is extremely refined. It's svelt like, best way to describe. On the one hand, it's a soft, comfy ride and took bumps smoothly with no banging(m sport tires a bit harsh over bumps and road imperfections-sport, sport +, comfort. Comfort + brings it to a well tolerated and unnoticed passing. Corning is where both are about equal. Porsche does it a bit flatter and smoother, BMW does it more sports like. While we would look at the Panamera as a sports car, and it is, it truly drives like butter. The tranny is smooth as silk. I mean silk!

So why didn't I buy another? A few reasons. While it certainly was revisited a hundred times and tops on the list along with the 6, it's a 3 year old body style vs a new look, for me. Outside of the Panamera is ok. It's clean and people Know exactly what it is immediately, but not especially pretty. The 6 is no doubt the current looker.

Both builds are of exacting precision and remarkable engineering feats. I've always been impressed with the underside of my BMW's, and for those cars who had some panels replaced, to see the guta was impressive. I was at a friends body shop that is a very high end Porsche/Audi body shop only and he had about 10 Panameras there. First, for a tiny shop, that's alot of cars. This means that the drivers are enjoying there cars a little too much, perhaps. Lol. But seriously, roaming around I had the chance to see through the front end and rear of a Panamera. Wow. Equally impressive as BMW, but different. Porsche doesn't apparently like hollow space in there bodies and I saw quite a bit of what
Looked like molded styrofoam filling larger pocket. I assumed for noise reduction and other things. The entire undercarriage is covered in high quality components.

I think the reason the Porsche drive smoother and handled roads nicer was the tires. Pirellis. But not 1" thick like the M-sports. Regular looking sidewalks. And Y rated to boot. (Think I got that right). Not runflats. As you may have seen, the F10 board is hellbent on changing out of runflats into regulars. I think that may apply on this car as well. I won't do it but that's probably the key difference, in my experience.

I'm only 5 hours, barely, into the 6 purchase so too soon for me to be picky. But rest assured, I will find the many highlights of the car, and also unfortunately the many issues. So far, the only thing I've noticed is a very light creaking noise when pulling driver interior door handle to close door. Seems a little plasticy (sound wise). Should be easy fix. Otherwise, I'm was more impressed driving it and more satisfied and comfortable then I was during the 3 test drives I did on them today (had choice of 2).

Visibility is slightly worse on the 6 than the Panamera. You will get used to either in no time. Don't let that dissuade you either way unless you need better visibility.

Regarding why I went with the 6 and not an 8, well, that is something I will often regret over the next couple years. But I will say that the 6 impressed me enough that I didn't hesitate to buy it. I would have loved the rumble of the 650, and the nappa vs my Dakota, but as I said, it was a no brainer deal for me. One comment on the 640i Dakota vs nappa- no doubt the nappa is gorgeous. When I looked at both in same color, I realized that the ventilated portion that we sit in, is the same in both. It's the bolsters and backs that have the nappa with visible fillers of Dakota. So when pushed came to shove, there is just a little of the Dakota that stands out (grain vs the smooth nappa). I settled but am very happy with it. Same lux seats. I'm only 5' 6 1/2 (qt my height I need the extra 1/2"), I could use the seat to rise (tilt)just a tad but more in the front of the bottom seat, but it's so damn close to what I need I'll manage. Just looking for a little more support in front of legs. Could just be my body's build.

Either car will be great. Now, $700 is a huge difference and a completely different league of payments and cars. What kind of #'s and deals are you seeing?

Hope this helps! Good luck.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
Go to the dealer and the on/off thing can be taken care free of charge with a software update. Once you leave it off it will maintain through future starts and you won't have to worry it about it again. If you want a nice exhaust sound trash the exhaust and purchase the M performance exhaust. Installed it's about $1700. Well worth the tone and the lack of back pressure. HP add? I don't know. Don't care. Like you the 6 is plenty for me.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Funny. I was just looking at that exhaust. I'll have to ask my dealer why they'll charge but something tells me it's more than $1700. Even 20% off the Msrp of $1500- BMW dealers will certainly charge more than 400 to remove and install. I'd like to hear one first. Probably wont happen for a while.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: F06 650i/E93 M3
Quote:
Congrats on the car!
My friend test drove the Panamera GTS and then my car. The Panamera feels like a true sport car, and the 650iGC feels like a sport sedan in comparison. They went with the GTS. I don't blame them! I actually drove them to the Porsche dealership in my 650iGC
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Thank you for taking your time to compare both cars.
I test drove the 650i GC with out adaptive drive and it handled very well. I'm sure it will be better with ARS.

Well here are the numbers on both configured cars.
GTS is $118,300- 4% off 52% Residual 00240 MF $1900 a month
650i GC $108,745- 7% off $3500 Holiday credit and loyalty 57% Residual 00115 MF $1230 a month

Quote:
No prob on the Panamera comparison. I'll make it brief after a long day but can expand more as you wish.

Handling goes to the Panamera. Not that the 6 is bad, but the P-car has ARS, comparatively speaking, built in. However, it is important to order it the right way. There are way to many options in the Panamera and can drive you nuts. I would drive multiple configurations and then decide. Air suspension or not, and others are some questions to answer, for your own liking. Both are quite nice interior. Different. BMW hassle tech. Porsche keeps it simple to use but enough for what we need. The navigation in the dash is very nice! Bose in the P is slightly better than BMW's premium sound. Burmeister blows the whole smorgasbord of car audio out of the park. I went with the middle seats. Not the basic and not sport. Sport was too hard to my liking. The 14 way seats are comfortable. Very. And supportive. Rear seats are awesome despite the deep bucket appearance. Lots of room and very comfortablel. The Porshe, being an 8 cyl (I had a Pana S), got excellent MPG. city/hwy mix of 85/15%, for me, and I got about 20-22. 28 on highway. And no, it's not backwards. 85% around town!

The Porsche is extremely refined. It's svelt like, best way to describe. On the one hand, it's a soft, comfy ride and took bumps smoothly with no banging(m sport tires a bit harsh over bumps and road imperfections-sport, sport +, comfort. Comfort + brings it to a well tolerated and unnoticed passing. Corning is where both are about equal. Porsche does it a bit flatter and smoother, BMW does it more sports like. While we would look at the Panamera as a sports car, and it is, it truly drives like butter. The tranny is smooth as silk. I mean silk!

So why didn't I buy another? A few reasons. While it certainly was revisited a hundred times and tops on the list along with the 6, it's a 3 year old body style vs a new look, for me. Outside of the Panamera is ok. It's clean and people Know exactly what it is immediately, but not especially pretty. The 6 is no doubt the current looker.

Both builds are of exacting precision and remarkable engineering feats. I've always been impressed with the underside of my BMW's, and for those cars who had some panels replaced, to see the guta was impressive. I was at a friends body shop that is a very high end Porsche/Audi body shop only and he had about 10 Panameras there. First, for a tiny shop, that's alot of cars. This means that the drivers are enjoying there cars a little too much, perhaps. Lol. But seriously, roaming around I had the chance to see through the front end and rear of a Panamera. Wow. Equally impressive as BMW, but different. Porsche doesn't apparently like hollow space in there bodies and I saw quite a bit of what
Looked like molded styrofoam filling larger pocket. I assumed for noise reduction and other things. The entire undercarriage is covered in high quality components.

I think the reason the Porsche drive smoother and handled roads nicer was the tires. Pirellis. But not 1" thick like the M-sports. Regular looking sidewalks. And Y rated to boot. (Think I got that right). Not runflats. As you may have seen, the F10 board is hellbent on changing out of runflats into regulars. I think that may apply on this car as well. I won't do it but that's probably the key difference, in my experience.

I'm only 5 hours, barely, into the 6 purchase so too soon for me to be picky. But rest assured, I will find the many highlights of the car, and also unfortunately the many issues. So far, the only thing I've noticed is a very light creaking noise when pulling driver interior door handle to close door. Seems a little plasticy (sound wise). Should be easy fix. Otherwise, I'm was more impressed driving it and more satisfied and comfortable then I was during the 3 test drives I did on them today (had choice of 2).

Visibility is slightly worse on the 6 than the Panamera. You will get used to either in no time. Don't let that dissuade you either way unless you need better visibility.

Regarding why I went with the 6 and not an 8, well, that is something I will often regret over the next couple years. But I will say that the 6 impressed me enough that I didn't hesitate to buy it. I would have loved the rumble of the 650, and the nappa vs my Dakota, but as I said, it was a no brainer deal for me. One comment on the 640i Dakota vs nappa- no doubt the nappa is gorgeous. When I looked at both in same color, I realized that the ventilated portion that we sit in, is the same in both. It's the bolsters and backs that have the nappa with visible fillers of Dakota. So when pushed came to shove, there is just a little of the Dakota that stands out (grain vs the smooth nappa). I settled but am very happy with it. Same lux seats. I'm only 5' 6 1/2 (qt my height I need the extra 1/2"), I could use the seat to rise (tilt)just a tad but more in the front of the bottom seat, but it's so damn close to what I need I'll manage. Just looking for a little more support in front of legs. Could just be my body's build.

Either car will be great. Now, $700 is a huge difference and a completely different league of payments and cars. What kind of #'s and deals are you seeing?

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Last edited by whiteonredM6; 11-05-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you for taking your time to compare both cars.
Well here are the numbers on both cars
GTS is $118,300- 4% off 52% Residual 00240 MF
650i GC $108,745- 7% off $3500 Holiday credit and loyalty 57% Residual 00115 MF
That 52% residual is with 10k miles? Those are some pretty bad rates from porsche. Reminds me of my Range Rover lease.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

There is no comparison in leasing vs BMW. It's hard to justify. My wife and I tossed around the Panamera or even a Cayenne and same Msrp area and prices were waaaaay different. That was a huge deciding factor for me. If money was no object is probably have both!

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Panamera GTS! No comparison.
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

If the BMW payment is 200, and the Panamera is 900, then I'm thinking the $700 monthly difference isn't so bad after all....

'10 Porsche Panamera S

Last edited by wassy; 11-05-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 640 GranCoupe
Quote:
Any software updates I should be aware of? I'll tell you, that start/stop is a pain in the ass.
Your dealer should be able to program it so that its off every time you start the engine. Congrats!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 PM

I am sure the panamera is an unbelievable car. But is it worth 25000 dollars more? That's a really big difference.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

I think, since he's leasing, the payment is the focus vs the Msrp. For example my 640 GC leased slightly more than a $20k less 550i. If the BMW was 25k more than the Porsche, it be about same lease layment or less than the Porsche. In addition, currently with the holiday credits, loyalty, apps you can get about $4700 in rebates in addition to a discount of about 7k (depending on Msrp). Thats 11-12k off the BMW's already cheaper price, whereas my Porsche contacts will stretch at 7k off a 100k Panamera s.

Now that I've drive the 640i for 2 whole days, I'm loving its re each time I get in it. It's a great car. They are both great. Different. And by the way, I would not personally classify the Panamera as a sports car if you are
Calling the BMW a sports sedan. They are both sedans with 4 seats. The engines and options on the pcar make it more like a sports car if you load it up, but at end of the day, they both drive more like a sports sedan. That's what impressed me with the Panamera. It didn't drive like a hard sports car but a well oiled and refined piece of machinery with svelt feeling and smoothness. Period. An all around great experience and yes I'd get another. They are different (didnt we say that already lol). But both super cars. In my opinion, the f06 is gorgeous and brand spanking new. It's the flavor of the day!

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

By the way, what payments and terms are you seeing in both? Maybe there's room in either.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Your right, but I was talking about the payment. I was just taking the $700 more a month over 36 months. The price of his configured panamera is only $10k more, but it will cost him $25k more to lease it.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM

I just ordered the GTS today. It will be here by end of Jan.
BMW is offering great lease deals on 6series right now especially with holiday credit but I wanted to try something new. This Gran coupe would have been my 5th BMW. I would get a 650i Gran Coupe over a Panamera S. but the GTS is just an amazing car. Is it worth $25,000 more? I'm not too sure but we only live once right?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I just ordered the GTS today. It will be here by end of Jan.
BMW is offering great lease deals on 6series right now especially with holiday credit but I wanted to try something new. This Gran coupe would have been my 5th BMW. I would get a 650i Gran Coupe over a Panamera S. but the GTS is just an amazing car. Is it worth $25,000 more? I'm not too sure but we only live once right?
Congrats! You are going to love it. Please come back and post pictures when you get it. End of Jan is quick, I thought the Porsche ordering process is slower than that.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Your right, but I was talking about the payment. I was just taking the $700 more a month over 36 months. The price of his configured panamera is only $10k more, but it will cost him $25k more to lease it.
Good point!

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Congrats! You are going to love it. Please come back and post pictures when you get it.
Ditto!

'10 Porsche Panamera S