Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '87 316
'87 316 M10 overheating with new parts

Hi all. have had a look but can't find another thread on this. Sorry if I have been thick.

I have a 316 m10 1.6 '87.

Since a rad broke I have had a mystery problem. Car overheated and was trucked home.

Engine ran fine, no signs of head gasket issues. So the car has had a new rad, 'stat, fan coupling. Hoses are new.

After the rad change she was fine for two weeks and then boiled her water. Stat worked in a pan but clearly stuck in the car. Short circuit too hot to touch, bottom hose cold. would overheat within two miles

Changed stat. Now the car will run for 10 miles fine. Then it starts to boil and throw coolant. bottom hose is warm but easy to hold. Top hose to rad v hot. Short circuit hoses n stat very hot, rad boiling.

About the only unchanged part is the pump which is six years old.

I have heard that you should fit the 'stat hot from a pan of boiling water, ram the hoses on and drive, adding water after some minutes, and fasting up the clips at this point. Can't find any other reference to this on the web so hesitate to boil a new stat. Pump is not weeping or squeeking.

Any ideas ? I am starting to despair and I love this car.

Thanks, Ralph
Advertisement